PDA

View Full Version : All Time biggest shockers in modern team sports

burnet44
05-04-2007, 12:26 PM
1980: U.S. pulls off 'Miracle on Ice'
What: Winter Games, Lake Placid, N.Y.

Who: The U.S. over the Soviet Union on ice
Coach Herb Brooks and his roster of collegiate players, including future Stars captain Neal Broten, engineered a 4-3 upset behind goaltender Jim Craig.

Memorable moment: Al Michaels, in what he said was an unscripted call, exclaimed, "Do you believe in miracles?" as time expired.

Aftermath: The U.S. still needed to beat Finland for the gold medal and did, 4-2.

1969: Namath, Jets fulfill guarantee
What: Super Bowl III

Who: New York Jets over Baltimore

Just the facts: If you follow football, you know the story. Cocky Jets quarterback Joe Namath "I guarantee it." A legend was born when the Jets rolled to a 16-7 win.

Memorable moment: Baltimore quarterback and NFL MVP Earl Morrall overlooking open Jimmy Orr in the end zone on a flea-flicker.

Aftermath: The impact on pro football was immeasurable. The Colts, won Super Bowl V over the Cowboys.

1994: No. 8 Nuggets ground Sonics
What: Playoffs, first round

Who: Denver over Seattle

Just the facts: Denver became the first No. 8 seed to topple a No. 1 seed, beating Seattle in a best-of-5 series.

Memorable moment: Does this sound familiar, Mavericks fans? Denver coach Dan Issel consistently downplayed his team's chances. "To be honest, we just wanted to get some playoff experience this year," he said.

Aftermath: Seattle reached the NBA Finals two years later and lost to the 72-win Chicago Bulls, maybe the best team ever.

1973: Mets unplug Big Red Machine
What: National League Championship Series

Who: New York Mets over Cincinnati

Just the facts: The Mets managed to win the NL East with an 82-79 record. Cincinnati's favored Big Red Machine, which won 99 games. Future Hall of Famer Tom Seaver pitched the clinching Game 5.

Memorable moment: In Game 3, Cincinnati's Pete Rose tangled with Mets shortstop Bud Harrelson Fans at Shea Stadium later pelted Rose with garbage in the outfield.

The aftermath: In the World Series, the Mets fell in seven games to the Oakland A's.

1982: Kings stun hockey royalty
What: Stanley Cup playoffs, first round

Who: Los Angeles defeats Edmonton

Just the facts: The Oilers, just maturing as one of the most productive and dominant teams ever, featured a young Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey and Grant Fuhr. Edmonton had recorded 111 points, 48 more points than the Kings. Los Angeles won the decisive Game 5, 7-4, in Edmonton.

Memorable moment: To this day, Kings fans revere the Miracle on Manchester, the remarkable Game 3 comeback. The Kings rallied from a 5-0 deficit after two periods to force overtime, then won on Daryl Evans' goal.

Aftermath: The Oilers rebounded to win five Stanley Cups in seven years, beginning in 1984. The Kings have reached the Finals once, led by a transplanted Gretzky in 1993.

1969 Mets over Baltimore
Who NY Mets beat Baltimore

Facts: Mets lost a 100 games Birds won a 100
Birds had 4 20 game winners

Moment: Tommy Agee's Catch

BTEXDAD
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
1980: U.S. pulls off 'Miracle on Ice'
What: Winter Games, Lake Placid, N.Y.

Who: The U.S. over the Soviet Union on ice
Coach Herb Brooks and his roster of collegiate players, including future Stars captain Neal Broten, engineered a 4-3 upset behind goaltender Jim Craig.

Memorable moment: Al Michaels, in what he said was an unscripted call, exclaimed, "Do you believe in miracles?" as time expired.

Aftermath: The U.S. still needed to beat Finland for the gold medal and did, 4-2.

1969 Mets over Baltimore
Who NY Mets beat Baltimore

Facts: Mets lost a 100 games Birds won a 100
Birds had 4 20 game winners

Moment: Tommy Agee's Catch

Mets actually won a 100 games in 1969 while Balt. won 109. Mets over orioles was big upset based on preseason predictions, but really not that big of an upset by the time world series came around.

All of them mentioned were memorable upsets, but the US hockey team over russia has to be the biggest upset. The russians hadn't put players in NHL at that time and were going around beating NHL teams prior to Olympics. This upset was equivalent to a bunch of college guys trying to beat NHL all star team.
The aftermath mentioned is something you can win bar bets on with US having to beat Finland for goal. Majority of people think that game over Russia was for gold medal. Of course I'm not talking about us knowledgeable people on downlow.

themsu97
05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
agree with texdad... 1980's hockey win is by far the biggest upset... just looking back and watching the Russians reaction as the USA team celebrated... they were stunned...

then of course the US winning the next day against a great Sweden team and then the podium moment when they all when up there...
I was but a wee little lad but I still get goosebumps... back in the days where everyone was PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

Spaceman_Spiff
05-04-2007, 01:11 PM
USA...USA...USA...with tears in my eyes!

Phil C
05-04-2007, 01:12 PM
What about UT's big 2006 Rose Bowl upset of USC 41 to 38. Remember USC was ESPN's greatest team ever.

BTEXDAD
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
What about UT's big 2006 Rose Bowl upset of USC 41 to 38. Remember USC was ESPN's greatest team ever.

I knew that was coming, Phil. LOL. It has to be up there though.
When UT beat the greatest team in the history of college football, it should be mentioned.

BTEXDAD
05-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Who can forget Keith Jackson's call on VY's last touchdown run?
"He's going for the corner! HE'S GOT IT!"

themsu97
05-04-2007, 01:28 PM
greatest team according to who? ESPN... whatever...

BTEXDAD
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
greatest team according to who? ESPN... whatever... I know. I"m just being sarcastic about all the hype ESPN was giving USC prior to that game.

JasperDog94
05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Anytime the good ol' USA can beat the commies in their own game, it's a great victory.:D

themsu97
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I figured as much BTEX... that is what I hate about the media and their obsession with who is the best...

JJ7997
05-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Anytime the good ol' USA can beat the commies in their own game, it's a great victory.:D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

hawkfan
05-04-2007, 06:15 PM
1919:Man O' War loses only race, to 100-to-1 shot

I heard the only reason he lost the race was because he was turned backwards when the race started(walk up start), and that he lost by a nose.

Phantom Stang
05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I was hollerin' too loud at the time, to have any idea what the announcers were saying!:clap:

Emerson1
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
You could hear the sadness in his voice.

This is a real call (http://media.putfile.com/winningscore)

garageoffice
05-04-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but Golden State beating Dallas wasn't such a shocker.

#1 - This GS team is not the same team that struggled through most of the season. They were actually the best team in the league over the last couple of months. They would have been in the playoffs easily if they'd been together the entire year.

#2 - They are so athletic with good size all around that they are very difficult to defend, especially since they basically play street ball. When it works, it works!

#3 - Dallas looked pretty sad at times over the last month of the season. I think Avery Johnson did a pretty poor job of keeping them ready to play.

The real shocker is the fact that GS just seemed like they couldn't miss at times. They shot well over 50% on 3's for the series...Baron Davis shot 30% during the regular season, but over 50% in the series. I'd say they came in ready to play.