PDA

View Full Version : Athlete...

GOFOR2
05-04-2007, 09:09 AM
as found in the dictionary

Athlete- n. one trained for physical exercises, feats or contests of strength; one good at sports.

Old Tiger
05-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Lets first take a look at the definition of "athlete."

ath·lete /ˈæθlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ath-leet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Tiger is trained and gifted in the contest of golf. It requires stamina from being out there in the heat and having to walk an 18 hole course for 4 days. Strength training is involved but it is not that of the strenght training associated with football, baseball, or basketball. Each sport has it's different types of strength training though. Golf requiers exercise and definately skill. So IMO Tiger Woods is an athlete playing a sport.

Here is the definition for "sport."

sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

As for Nascar that is a sport too. I watched a special over Dale Jr. and his training and it was pretty rigorous. I don't know many people that could sit in a car in the 100+ degree heat on the track for that ammount of time. Dehydration was a factor many years ago but now days technology has helped with that. Not to mention restroom issues and possibly urinating on yourself. Just as I posted here in the thread about them.

Adidas410s
05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Just as I posted here in the thread about them.

I think about 12 of us posted the definition of athlete yesterday ;)

pirate4state
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, like nobody has EVER posted anything multiple times on here before!

Old Tiger
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
copy cats! :eek: :p

themsu97
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
here is where the problem is gofor2... because the other ones just do not understand...
the debate started as to who was the better athlete...Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods...
my arguement is that Tiger is nowhere near Michael...my opinion... go and find where anyone said that Tiger is not an athlete... he is in great shape, he is athletic and his wife is smoking... but Tiger is not the best athlete ever or even close... he is not even in the same stratosphere as Michael Jordan but some of these people do not understand that that is my opinion and nothing can change that...

"sometimes I dream, that he is me, just like him is how I want to be... like Mike, if I could be like Mike"...
Tiger is not even close

Old Tiger
05-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by themsu97

my arguement is that Tiger is nowhere near Michael...my opinion... go and find where anyone said that Tiger is not an athlete... he is in great shape, he is athletic and his wife is smoking... but Tiger is not the best athlete ever or even close... he is not even in the same stratosphere as Michael Jordan but some of these people do not understand that that is my opinion and nothing can change that... There lies your problem with your theory. You say he is athletic but not an athlete that makes no sense at all. You can't compare them either really because they play two different sports.

Tiger Woods is the Michael Jordan of golf.
Michael Jordan is the Tiger Woods of basketball.

pirate4state
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't know why, but this quote keeps popping in my head "Stevie Wonder is a musical genius!"

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

GOFOR2
05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I have often heard a coach say to his kids "thats the way to be an athlete" or "you get to this spot and then be an athlete and make a play".

Although I believe golf is a sport and although many games are considered sports, it doesnt necessary take an ATHLETE to play those games or "sports".

You dont necessarily need to be an athlete to play golf.
You do need to be an athlete to play basketball.

Drum roll........hence MJ is the bomb.

;)

Just my take.

themsu97
05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Tiger... that makes no sense... since Michael came before Tiger he is not the Tiger Woods of basketball...

where did I say that Tiger is not an athlete... I said, maybe I can type slower so you can follow... That Tiger is not even in the same league as MJ... that Tiger is athletic and an athlete but Tiger is not the best athlete...

better
take Tylenol for headaches and Mydol for cramps

GOFOR2
05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Both are phenomenal athletes, but you dont have to be an athlete to play golf. Golf doesnt necessarily require athletic move per se, of course, unless the golfer is going to sprint to his ball and then hit immediately upon arrival.

Old Tiger
05-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Both are phenomenal athletes, but you dont have to be an athlete to play golf. Golf doesnt necessarily require athletic move per se, of course, unless the golfer is going to sprint to his ball and then hit immediately upon arrival. What do you shoot on an 18?

themsu97
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
last night I shot an 80...

never more than a 2 putt on any hole... that will keep the scores down...
but nothing like Driver then 7 iron on a par 5...
I was crushing the ball long and straight last night baby...

pirate4state
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Both are phenomenal athletes, but you dont have to be an athlete to play golf. Golf doesnt necessarily require athletic move per se, of course, unless the golfer is going to sprint to his ball and then hit immediately upon arrival. Okay, that visual is hysterical!!!! LMAO!

Old Tiger
05-04-2007, 09:43 AM
last night I shot an 80...

never more than a 2 putt on any hole... that will keep the scores down...
but nothing like Driver then 7 iron on a par 5...
I was crushing the ball long and straight last night baby... Tiger was shooting sub 80's at 9 years old :rolleyes:

themsu97
05-04-2007, 09:45 AM
great for Tiger... but I bet at 9 he did have a 6 pack of Miller Lite Chill in them... great beer... feel sorry for the kids at lunch duty...

GOFOR2
05-04-2007, 09:48 AM
What do you shoot on an 18?

I didnt play when I was 18. But in the 5 years that I have been playing off and on I have acquired a 6 handicap.

GOFOR2
05-04-2007, 09:49 AM
what did you shoot at 18 TigerLoverWR

Adidas410s
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yeah, like nobody has EVER posted anything multiple times on here before!

just didn't want Casey thing he was the first one ;)

Fotbol
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Wilt Chamberlain was the best Athelete then and now because of his accomplishments.

themsu97
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
heck... sexually...Wilt is legendary and not even magic is close to him:clap:

Bull19
05-04-2007, 06:31 PM
great for Tiger... but I bet at 9 he did have a 6 pack of Miller Lite Chill in them... great beer... feel sorry for the kids at lunch duty...

THAT STUFF IS SICK.......OVERKILL ON THE SALT AND LIME