PDA

View Full Version : Why ref quality is bad and getting worse.

whtfbplaya
11-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Because why would anyone want to do this???

Just for all of you that I get to listen complain all the time.

This week some guys I know are going to call a game in Del Rio maybe(where ever Sinton is playing) and they are going from Houston. They get to leave at noon take a half a day of vacation drive for about 5 and 1/2 hours to get to the 8 pm kick off 2 and 1/2 hours early(which they have to) get all hot and sweaty and yelled at to leave there at 11:30 or 12 and get back around 4 or 5 in the morning to get up the next morning and go call a college game. Best I can figure about 16 hours of work. Guess how much they will get paid? THEN look down for the answer.

About 80 bucks, 2 meals and one car mileage. About 5 dollers an hour. How many compitant people do you know that work for 5 dollars an hour. Think about this the next time you let one of those stupid little comments about the refs, that you have no idea what your talking about, slip out of your mouth

<small>[ November 19, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: whtfbplaya ]</small>

PPHSfan
11-18-2003, 11:32 PM
My bet is that they would do it for free. If they were in it for the money, they would bet on the games. But since they are in it because they love the job, I think they would drive for 24 hours if it meant getting to see Sinton play up close. :D

whtfbplaya
11-18-2003, 11:56 PM
lol

jason
11-19-2003, 09:05 AM
whtfbplaya:

This week some guys I know are going to call a game in Del Rio maybe(where ever Sinton is playing) and they are going from Houston. They get to leave at noon take a half a day of vacation drive for about 5 and 1/2 hours to get to the 8 pm kick off 2 and 1/2 hours early(which they have to) get all hot and sweaty and yelled at to leave there at 11:30 or 12 and get back around 4 or 5 in the morning to get up the next morning and go call a college game. Best I can figure about 16 hours of work. Guess how much they will get paid? THEN look down for the answer.

About 80 bucks, 2 meals and one car mileage. About 5 dollers an hour. How many compitant people do you know that work for 5 dollers an hour. Think about this the next time you let one of those stupid little comments about the refs, that you have no idea what your talking about, slip out of your mouthhow bout when you learn how to spell dollars ill start reading your posts again

TXMike
11-19-2003, 10:09 AM
First, I obviously do not agree with the premise, i.e. that ref quality is bad and getting worse. As one who has seen it develop over the past 15 years I can say that it is actually better today than it has ever been. There is much more and much better training available today than ever before. Does everyone take advantage of it? Honestly, no. But as a general statement, more do take advantage of it and the results show on the field. Are there going to be mistakes made? Yes, as long as humans are officiating.

Are people more attuned to mistakes now? Yes. The explosion of video and technology has resulted in much closer observation of calls than ever before possible.

Do people gripe more now than ever before? Yes. I think there are some underlying psychological things going on in society that result in more griping. And if you are continuosly exposed to griping about something, eventually you come to believe something must be wrong with it if there is so much griping.

heck
11-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Hey TXMIke - I heard one for you just yesterday. Now keep in mind that this is all second hand but I do consider the source to be credible. It seems that in the Coloardo City/Shallowater bi-dictrict game (I didn't see this game btw.) there were several questionable calls. Shally won 35-34. One of the coaches from C. City recieved an anonymous(sp.)letter from one of the officials apologizing for the number of bad calls.

Gees, this just hit me as incredible! I find the whole story hard to believe but like I stated, it did come from a credible source.

BTW, this was not intended to be a cut against refs. Just found it be unusual.

<small>[ November 19, 2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

TXMike
11-19-2003, 10:55 AM
heck:
Hey TXMIke - I heard one for you just yesterday. Now keep in mind that this is all second hand but I do consider the source to be credible. It seems that in the Coloardo City/Shallowater bi-dictrict game (I didn't see this game btw.) there were several questionable calls. Shally won 35-34. One of the coaches from C. City recieved an anonymous(sp.)letter from one of the officials apologizing for the number of bad calls.

Gees, this just hit me as incredible! I find the whole story hard to believe but like I stated, it did come from a credible source.

BTW, this was not intended to be a cut against refs. Just found it be unusual.It is more than unusual, if it was indeed from a ref, it is unethical. I am aware of a similar situation where the letter was sent to a specific player by a specific ref apologizing for a statement made to the player. Resulted in the official being suspended for 1 season.

But, since it was "anonymous" who knows if it was even from a ref????? Can't speak for all Chapters but in mine, if a coach sends in game film with specific complaints, it is reviewed by a film committee. They then send a letter back to the coach on the points he has raised. If our guys were wrong, the committee says so. If we were right, they also say so.

<small>[ November 19, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: TXMike ]</small>

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 02:41 PM
PPHSfan:
My bet is that they would do it for free. If they were in it for the money, they would bet on the games. But since they are in it because they love the job, I think they would drive for 24 hours if it meant getting to see Sinton play up close. :D I agree with you in some ways, but those guys are gitting older and what I am saying is that there is no draw for younger guys to get into this(the future).

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 02:43 PM
jason:

whtfbplaya:

About 80 bucks, 2 meals and one car mileage. About 5 dollers an hour. How many compitant people do you know that work for 5 dollers an hour. Think about this the next time you let one of those stupid little comments about the refs, that you have no idea what your talking about, slip out of your mouthhow bout when you learn how to spell dollars ill start reading your posts againThanks for the spell check jason I ficset it.

DaRaiderz
11-19-2003, 05:07 PM
whtfbplaya:

PPHSfan:
My bet is that they would do it for free. If they were in it for the money, they would bet on I agree with you in some ways, but those guys are gitting older and what I am saying is that there is no draw for younger guys to get into this(the future).Im 24 years old and just finished off my first year of officiating. I got into it because I enjoy football and wanted to be involved. I DEFINITELY did not get in it for the money because we dont make jack for calling a game.

My biggest complaint after the first year is I just wish people would accept the fact that we are human and are going to screw up every now and then. An official makes a bad call and people get on them 10 times worse than a coach that calls a poor play or a receiver that drops a ball. We are doing our best out there. Just like the teams on the field and the coaches on the sideline, some officials are real good at what we do and some are pretty poor. You can guarantee though that all of them are trying just as hard as the coaches and players to do their best and call a fair, clean game.

I enjoyed it this year though. For the most part, the coaches are real appreciative of the officials for what they do when you talk to them after the game. If your young and interested in getting into it, www.taso.org (http://www.taso.org) would be a good place to start.

District303aPastPlayer
11-19-2003, 05:12 PM
my dad is a referee and he has done it for like, 17 years now, and he doesnt do it for hte money, he does it because he loves the game. he asked me to join their organization, TASO, and become an official. The number of officials that are active is dropping. the reason, they just dont have to put up with the fans anymore, and they know it. the refs are tired... they are being spread thin... give them a break... they are HUMAN, just like us. If you thnk you can do better.. join TASO... and let us hassle you... and then give us your opinion :D

whtfbplaya
11-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Some good views everone should read.