PDA

View Full Version : A difference in Athletes and Sports

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
IMO a SPORT is a competition of physical ability and skill that is decided ON THE FIELD of play

An Athelete is someone who has the phsyical ability and skill to compete in competitions that are of physical ability and skill..BUT not always a sport..EXAMPLE

Ice Skating..NOT a sport..When judges decide winner it becomes to muddled in interpretation BUT

a ice skater is an athlete who has to be athletic enough to perform the moves

and so on

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO a SPORT is a competition of physical ability and skill that is decided ON THE FIELD of play

An Athelete is someone who has the phsyical ability and skill to compete in competitions that are of physical ability and skill..BUT not always a sport..EXAMPLE

Ice Skating..NOT a sport..When judges decide winner it becomes to muddled in interpretation BUT

a ice skater is an athlete who has to be athletic enough to perform the moves

and so on

I would have never considered ice skating NOT a sport. They do flips and turns much like a gymnast does, or a cheerleader does.

Just a difference of a opinion.

BuffyMars
In fact! I would consider ice skating more of a sport than baseball! :eek:

Oh yes I did go there! :hand:

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I would have never considered ice skating NOT a sport. They do flips and turns much like a gymnast does, or a cheerleader does.

Just a difference of a opinion.

BUT judges decide the outcome..hence it is not a sport IMO..it is an athletic event

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Fight! Fight! Fight!:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
BUT judges decide the outcome..hence it is not a sport IMO..it is an athletic event

Gay! You could say that about everything then and then nothing would be a sport. Because everything didn't start out as a "sport" as you call it.

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
In baseball, players don't decide if each pitch is a ball or a strike. A judge (umpire) does. The players don't decide who is out or who is safe. A judge (umpire) does.

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
In baseball, players don't decide if each pitch is a ball or a strike. A judge (umpire) does. The players don't decide who is out or who is safe. A judge (umpire) does.

ooooooooooooooooo!!!!

THANK YOU!!

Word. To yo mutha'! :tongue:

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

The judge in baseball does not in the end DECIDE who wins or not..They are merely there to enforce the rules

in skating a person CANNOT win unless the judge AWARDS them the win

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
ooooooooooooooooo!!!!

THANK YOU!!

Word. To yo mutha'! :tongue: Trust me, I'm not arguing for ice skating to be considered a sport, but I do see you argument.

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
The judge in baseball does not in the end DECIDE who wins or not..They are merely there to enforce the rules

in skating a person CANNOT win unless the judge AWARDS them the win

Ok, well then you would have to say the same for gymnasts then! How in the #$%^ are you gonna tell me that that is not a sport?

That is NOTHING but athleticism and skill!

themsu97
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
and pray that you do not get a French judge or an East German judge (which is now impossible, but we remember)

themsu97
05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
gymnastics.... Mary Lou Retton:inlove:

JasperDog94
Originally posted by themsu97
and pray that you do not get a French judge or an East German judge (which is now impossible, but we remember) :clap: :clap: :clap:

You're on a roll today 97.

Txbroadcaster
Ok, well then you would have to say the same for gymnasts then! How in the #$%^ are you gonna tell me that that is not a sport?

That is NOTHING but athleticism and skill!

YOur missing the point..

Ice Skaters and Gymnast are Athletes who perform in Athletic events..NOT a sporting event

themsu97
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
and where is Mary Lou:inlove:

zeus63
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM

Question. Technically isn't a ref a judge? A ref in any sport decides the outcome based on a set of rules. Just like in football, baseball, and ice skating, anyone can come out on top based on the interpretations of what the judges see.

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:12 AM
YOur missing the point..

Ice Skaters and Gymnast are Athletes who perform in Athletic events..NOT a sporting event

Athletic events my arse!

Gymnasts are more athletic than almost any athlete we have in the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, etc etc etc.

They work out everyday and are on some of the most strict diets, they work hard to do the things they do.

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
Question. Technically isn't a ref a judge? A ref in any sport decides the outcome based on a set of rules. Just like in football, baseball, and ice skating, anyone can come out on top based on the interpretations of what the judges see.

If Romo throws a 65 yard TD pass it is 6 Points..not 8 points because it is prettier or 5 points cause it has a wobble

Refs enforce the rules..Can the enforcment of the rules decide a game of course..BUT they are there strictly to make sure the game is played within the rules not decide the winner

Skating is all interpretation..someone wins not always because they were best skater, but because the judges like their program, or what they were wearing..THAT is Judges 100% deciding the winner

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Athletic events my arse!

Gymnasts are more athletic than almost any athlete we have in the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, etc etc etc.

They work out everyday and are on some of the most strict diets, they work hard to do the things they do.

I agree, Txbroadcaster.

He's not saying they are not athletes.

He's saying that because a judge determines who wins, it can't be a sport.

BuffyMars
Originally posted by zeus63

See, that is how I feel.

If you are gonna say that it is determined on the field....then a ref can take away from your gameplay by determining that that play was incomplete. Which takes away from your stats, etc.

A ref, can completely change the ENTIRE outcome of a game. In any 'sport'.

Txbroadcaster
Athletic events my arse!

I SAID THEY WERE ATHLETES..MY WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD

was their is a difference between a sport and an athlete

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:15 AM
If Romo throws a 65 yard TD pass it is 6 Points..not 8 points because it is prettier or 5 points cause it has a wobble

Refs enforce the rules..Can the enforcment of the rules decide a game of course..BUT they are there strictly to make sure the game is played within the rules not decide the winner

Skating is all interpretation..someone wins not always because they were best skater, but because the judges like their program, or what they were wearing..THAT is Judges 100% deciding the winner

Say what???

Um no! They look at the completion of their jumps, etc. That is not how they base their decision 100% on looks and interpretation alone.

AP Panther Fan
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM

I agree with you on this one. They are highly athletic and skilled, but they aren't participating in a sport.

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Ok, you can call what you want to call a sport, and I will call what I want to call a sport and the same goes for an "athletic event".

You can make up whatever "rules" you want to determine your definition of a sport.

But there is no way you can convince me that golf or bowling is a sport. Sorry, but you won't.

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Say what???

Um no! They look at the completion of their jumps, etc. That is not how they base their decision 100% on looks and interpretation alone.

Did not say it did..but it plays a part of the decision..but even judging a jump is interpretation One judge thinks it is perfect..another does not

AP Panther Fan
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM

But there is no way you can convince me that golf or bowling is a sport. Sorry, but you won't.

I think golf and bowling are sports. :)

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:22 AM
The definition of sports is about as interpretational as the bible. So everyone has the right to their opnion. And no one is to tell them they are wrong. :)

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 11:22 AM
The definition of sports is about as interpretational as the bible. So everyone has the right to their opnion. And no one is to tell them they are wrong. :)

Your wrong:D

Fotbol
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
YOur missing the point..

I say we make boobie watching a sport:clap: I'd be atheletically Incline enough to do that!:devil:

AP Panther Fan
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Actually NOW you're wrong.:D

(grammatically speaking)

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

(grammatically speaking)

Hahahaha!!! :D

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

(grammatically speaking)

Now he knows if grammar was a sport then he would be about as skilled as a peanut.

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM

No you are wrong, and you know you are wrong. :tongue:

themsu97
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
i am with fotbol... i am all for competitive boobie watching...

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 11:32 AM
i am with fotbol... i am all for competitive boobie watching...
Buffy would win GOLD

Fotbol
05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Buffy would win GOLD There would be the Two piece White dinner with a Janet Jacdson(Breast) and a Wing:D

BuffyMars
Buffy would win GOLD

HAHAHAHA!! Says you! :hand:

You can't judge! :kiss:

themsu97
wait... let me get this straight... Buffy likes to look at boobies too?

ssssswwwwweeeeeettttt

Fotbol
05-03-2007, 11:36 AM
HAHAHAHA!! Says you! :hand:

You can't judge! :kiss:
Well big Tex Moma has spoken, no Boobie watching 4 U:doh: :devil:

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
wait... let me get this straight... Buffy likes to look at boobies too?

ssssswwwwweeeeeettttt

no comment :p ;)

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
no comment :p ;)

:rolleyes:

themsu97
05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
back from lunch duty...
I think that cropdusting should be a sport as well

zeus63
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Ok. I see where you are coming from.

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
back from lunch duty...
I think that cropdusting should be a sport as well Cropdusting...I love it!:clap: :clap: :clap:

mustang59
05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
How about this: If you can get hurt doing it, it's a sport.

Ranger Mom
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by mustang59

Hmm.....that would make playing Guitar Hero a sport then....cause my wrist hurts really bad!:(

themsu97
05-03-2007, 03:33 PM
and sex too...but not boob watching... that would also leave out cropdusting since some kids experience serious pain

mustang59
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Hmm.....that would make playing Guitar Hero a sport then....cause my wrist hurts really bad!:(
Which means you're an athlete.

Ranger Mom
05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Which means you're an athlete.

Awesome!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/smilies/character0280.gif

I have been holding that smilie for just the right occasion!!

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 03:41 PM

So kicking a guy (where the sun don't shine)....well that hurts...and it happens a lot. Especially in RM's avatar....well then I call it a sport too.

I think us girl's should start a league.

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
So kicking a guy (where the sun don't shine)....well that hurts...and it happens a lot. Especially in RM's avatar....well then I call it a sport too.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ranger Mom
05-03-2007, 03:43 PM

You think the guy in the avatar would learn....but he just keeps coming back for more!!

Silly boys!!

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 03:43 PM
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh, and according to your rules, that would make roller derby a sport.

mustang59
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM

You get to be team captain. I walked on the treadmill this morning, do you think that makes me an athlete? LOL

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
You get to be team captain. I walked on the treadmill this morning, do you think that makes me an athlete? LOL

Captain Give Em' Blue Ba.......

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh, and according to your rules, that would make roller derby a sport.

yes and...?

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
yes and...?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

What?

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
What?

Turn your speakers on so you can hear the sarcasm!

Ranger Mom
05-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Turn your speakers on so you can hear the sarcasm!

Hear it??

I could feel it!!

crabman
05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
All of you missed the point. A sport is a competition between people or teams where one person or team tries to IMPEDE THE PROGRESS OF THE OTHER PERSON OR TEAM. That is the key. Is the competition trying to impede your progress. Once you apply that rule, it all comes into focus. Well almost.

Football - Sport
Baseball - Sport
Volleyball - Sport
Track - Not a sport, it's just a competition
Tennis - Sport
Skating - Competition
Bowling - Competition
NASCAR - ?????????? Sport, maybe...... I don't know about all that. It used to be a competition by just trying to run as fast as you could to the finish. It has changed with restrictor plate racing now where you try to impede the progress of your opposition. Maybe the rise in popularity came when it went from comptetion to sport.

themsu97
05-04-2007, 08:45 AM
good point crabman... which would make golf, not a sport