PDA

View Full Version : Jordan says golf is tougher than basketball

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:30 AM
This is from his interview with the media after he and Tiger played together yesterday at the Wachovia Pro-Am.

"We talk about our respective sports -- which is harder, to win six championships or four majors?" Jordan said. "I think it's tougher for him. As an individual, you're playing against so many different opponents. In my game, if I have a bad day, I've got someone to cover for me. For the most part, he does it by himself."

kaorder1999
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This is from his interview with the media after he and Tiger played together yesterday at the Wachovia Pro-Am.

"We talk about our respective sports -- which is harder, to win six championships or four majors?" Jordan said. "I think it's tougher for him. As an individual, you're playing against so many different opponents. In my game, if I have a bad day, I've got someone to cover for me. For the most part, he does it by himself."

jordan is right!

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
not really, you are playing against only one opponent, yourself... no one else out there...

i want to see Tiger lead any NBA team to 6 championships...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I want to see Jordan win 4 majors...heck just 1 major would be impossible for him to do.

burnet44
05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
i think Jordan would know huh

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
not really, you are playing against only one opponent, yourself... no one else out there...

his supporting cast was rediculous...
He had the BEST rebounder the game has ever seen, a great wingman and a good bench. A sharpshooting 3 point man, and some low post presence...

jason
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM

i want to see Tiger lead any NBA team to 6 championships... so if you go out and shoot a personal best 65, but the other guy in your group (say the final group at augusta) and he shoots 64 and wins by 1, you are still playing against yourself...i guess its a moral victory?? you obviously know very little about the sport of golf...

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Did Jordan win 6 championships, or did the Bulls? Tiger won his on his own. Much more difficult. In basketball you have the same shots over and over, golf it's always different. No situation is ever the same.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:37 AM
at his age now, probably...
tiger is still young enough to switch over...

Michael is such the athlete that he could have been good at whatever sport he had chosen... I do not think the reverse is true

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
No situation is ever the same. Same could be said for basketball. The position of the players constantly changes. The effect of the crowd changes. The way players push and pull on each other changes. The way the ball rebounds changes.

Unless your playing HORSE, no two shots are exactly the same in basketball either.

Panther One
05-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Michael is such the athlete that he could have been good at whatever sport he had chosen... I do not think the reverse is true
When it comes to golf, throw athleticism out the window. It doesn't matter. It's a skill sport. A little athleticism, a lot of hand-eye coordination, and lots of practice can make you a good golfer. Golf is the one sport that kicked my butt in the beginning. You think being a good athlete will lead to automatic success in golf, but it doesn't. It's the most frustrating sport I've ever played. It's amazing that I've only broken one club out of frustration.

If Jordan would have played golf from age 5, he would have probably played in college and maybe even professionally, but his athleticism would not necessarily have made him one of the greats. Jordan tried baseball for awhile and was not very good. Hitting the baseball is another activity that is just as much, if not more skill than athleticism (Have you ever seen Mike Piazza run?) I think Tiger, because of his God gifted skill, could have been a very good baseball player if he would have picked baseball over golf.

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
When it comes to golf, throw athleticism out the window. It doesn't matter. It's a skill sport. A little athleticism, a lot of hand-eye coordination, and lots of practice can make you a good golfer. Golf is the one sport that kicked my butt in the beginning. You think being a good athlete will lead to automatic success in golf, but it doesn't. It's the most frustrating sport I've ever played. It's amazing that I've only broken one club out of frustration.

If Jordan would have played golf from age 5, he would have probably played in college and maybe even professionally, but his athleticism would not necessarily have made him one of the greats. Jordan tried baseball for awhile and was not very good. Hitting the baseball is another activity that is just as much, if not more skill than athleticism (Have you ever seen Mike Piazza run?) I think Tiger, because of his God gifted skill, could have been a very good baseball player if he would have picked baseball over golf. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

themsu97
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Piazza heck... nothing makes me laugh more than watching Berkman run...
all i have been saying is that there is no way that Tiger is a better ATHLETE than Michael Jordan...
but I guess I have to have facts to back that up

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
all i have been saying is that there is no way that Tiger is a better ATHLETE than Michael Jordan...
but I guess I have to have facts to back that up Yeah, they're called eyes and half a brain.:D :D

themsu97
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
so, you also think that Tiger is a better athlete than Tiger... no way... Tiger is not even a bigger icon that Michael

BILLYFRED0000
05-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Not really. You are playing against the course and your ability to take advantage of it. Then you are playing against those out there with you who have different gifts and challenge the course differently,
That is stroke play boiled down to it's essence. Match play you are playing the man. The course does not matter as much since you are against a single opponent.
Bluffing and gamesmanship come into it more here.

BILLYFRED0000
05-03-2007, 12:16 PM
And I still carry a single digit handicap even tho I don't play but once a month or so. I am thinking about trying to get back into semi professional playing shape. Just don't know if I can anymore. Once upon a time maybe......