PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gobblers have come a long way in four years

Gobbler Fan
05-03-2007, 04:47 AM
May 03, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY COY SLAVIK - ADVOCATE SPORTS EDITOR

CUERO - Seniors Dacey Doehrman and Kaci Kuecker remember their freshman season when they walked onto the softball field knowing they were probably going to lose.
"Winning just one game back then was exciting for us," Kuecker recalled of the 2004 team that won only one district contest.

What a difference four years have made.

The Lady Gobblers aren't only winning, they are making school history and even finding the courage to do the unthinkable in Cuero - challenge the Gobblers football team.

"We've worked hard with the girls to have the attitude that they are ballplayers," third-year coach Cassie Fallon said as she prepared the Lady Gobblers (18-14) for tonight's Game 1 of their best-of-three Class 3A area playoff series against La Feria (16-11) in Alice. "They have learned to compete. We taught them to not walk onto the field intimidated, but to intimidate."

"I think we have more confidence this year," said Kuecker, who blanked Ingleside 2-0 on a one-hitter to complete a best-of-three series bi-district sweep of Ingleside last week. "We're working hard and we know what we're doing."

Cuero's softball success can be traced from Fallon's promotion to head coach in 2005. The Lady Gobblers went 9-16 her first season. In 2006, Cuero finished third in district play before being ousted in the bi-district playoffs and finishing with a 13-12 record.

This season, the Lady Gobblers finished second in District 29-3A before sweeping Ingleside and advancing to the area playoffs for the first time in school history.
Doehrman, Cuero's No. 1 pitcher, admitted she would have never thought four years ago that the Lady Gobblers would be in the playoffs, much less in the second round.

"I hoped it would happen," said Doehrman, who will take an 11-5 record into tonight's game. "My sister (Megan) and I played together when I was a freshman and she thought we'd never make it this far."

The success has even produced an unprecedented boldness in these once-meek Lady Gobblers.

"If we make it to the next round, we'll make it as far as the football team made it this year," Doehrman said. "That would be neat.

For a town like Cuero to not have a softball program in High School was a shame and was corrected a few years back and this is what hard work and dedication gets you . This group is paving the way for the younger girls in the growing Youth Softball Leagues . Kepp up the hard work Lady Gobblers :clap:

Old Tiger
05-03-2007, 04:49 AM
Cuero should win this one. Good luck to those young ladies.

44INAROW
05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
:clap: :clap: Good Luck Ladies :)