PDA

View Full Version : What makes someone an athlete?

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-02-2007, 11:59 PM
So there are some people on this board they say Tiger isn't an athlete and golf isn't a sport. I just want to know what you think an athlete is and what defines a sport.

Ranger Mom
05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Is cheerleading a sport?

eagles_victory
05-03-2007, 12:04 AM
A kid I know named Matthew Defriend the Valedictorian of my graduating class defined a sport like this: It must be a team game not an induvidual sport and it must have a reasonable amount of popularity and require some rigourus physical activity ie baseball basketball football and soccer... not saying i agree but that was Matts thoughts

Old Tiger
05-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Lets first take a look at the definition of "athlete."

ath·lete /ˈæθlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ath-leet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Tiger is trained and gifted in the contest of golf. It requires stamina from being out there in the heat and having to walk an 18 hole course for 4 days. Strength training is involved but it is not that of the strenght training associated with football, baseball, or basketball. Each sport has it's different types of strength training though. Golf requiers exercise and definately skill. So IMO Tiger Woods is an athlete playing a sport.

Here is the definition for "sport."

sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

As for Nascar that is a sport too. I watched a special over Dale Jr. and his training and it was pretty rigorous. I don't know many people that could sit in a car in the 100+ degree heat on the track for that ammount of time. Dehydration was a factor many years ago but now days technology has helped with that. Not to mention restroom issues and possibly urinating on yourself.

mustang59
05-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I say if you must compete and follow a set of rules it's a game and players are competitors (car racing, golf). If they had to be in top physical condition to play they are athletes

I'm going to bed, but this is a good discussion to have. Amarillo Slim is a competitor. Dirk Nowitski is an athlete

GreenMonster
05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
So there are some people on this board they say Tiger isn't an athlete and golf isn't a sport. I just want to know what you think an athlete is and what defines a sport.

I think that I would have to include anyone with that kind of fine muscle control to be an athlete. Think about it, when Tiger asks Steve (his caddy) for the distance to the cup and Steve answers "197 to 199" and Tiger fires back "which one is it 197 or 199" you know he isn't changing clubs he's trying to figure out how much swing he has to put into it to get the ball to the exact point on the green he wants to get to. I have a hard time calling those NASCAR AKA "Turn Left" guys athletes but their hand eye has to be extreme to manuever in traffic at nearly 200mph.

eagles_victory
05-03-2007, 12:14 AM
this argument usually comes down to if you like golf you say its a sport and if you hate it you say it isnt a sport

coach
05-03-2007, 12:22 AM
i had some friends that say track wasnt a sport.....there are many sports out there just bc we dont like them or they are not popular dosnet mean they arent a sport

yourboss319
05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
haha.. dosnet

sorry

mustang04
05-03-2007, 01:21 AM
if you look in the dictionary under athlete, it says:

Reggie Ham:D :D :D :D

eagles_victory
05-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
if you look in the dictionary under athlete, it says:

Reggie Ham:D :D :D :D i just looked maybe i need a newer dictonary

big daddy russ
05-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by coach
i had some friends that say track wasnt a sport.....there are many sports out there just bc we dont like them or they are not popular dosnet mean they arent a sport
Wasn't track the original sport?

Or was it women's hoops?

bulldogman06
05-03-2007, 04:20 AM
IMO if you engage in any competition which physicality, speed, body control, anything that has to do with movement at all, coordination, or agility, then you are an athlete. someone who trains to become better at a certain aspect of competition. but i definitely think golfers are athletes.

burnet44
05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
ol coach always told us

an athlete-anyone who can pick up a ball, a bat, a baton and play well

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Athlete - an individual who demonstrates skill in a sport, trains and competes as part of her/his regular routine or career goal.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 08:40 AM
not a golfer...
no, I think that most people's problem is that sports people constantly say that Tiger is the greatest athlete... no, he is not... he may be the greatest golfer and he is definitely the best athlete in golf... but a golfer as the best athlete, please...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
not a golfer...
no, I think that most people's problem is that sports people constantly say that Tiger is the greatest athlete... no, he is not... he may be the greatest golfer and he is definitely the best athlete in golf... but a golfer as the best athlete, please...

Why can't a golfer be the best athlete??? Because it's golf??? That's not a justifiable reason. Take a look at the % of people that play golf to the % that play on the PGA Tour...and it's a heck of a lot smaller than the % of high school football players to NFL football players. The same holds true for baseball and basketball too.

Fotbol
05-03-2007, 08:50 AM
A love for the game, Hard work, and a competitive spirit!

BullFrog Dad
05-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Why can't a golfer be the best athlete??? Because it's golf??? That's not a justifiable reason. Take a look at the % of people that play golf to the % that play on the PGA Tour...and it's a heck of a lot smaller than the % of high school football players to NFL football players. The same holds true for baseball and basketball too. Your argument is weak. How many sixty year old men play football?

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Your argument is weak. How many sixty year old men play football?
How many 60 yr old men play on the PGA tour??? Cut the # to 40 (the highest reasonable age you'll find somebody in any of the sports) and you'll still the same things...

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:20 AM
look, golf does not take alot of physical skill...
duffy Waldorf, John daly...
i am not denying that Tiger is in great physical shape and that he is athletic but he is not the best athlete... heck, Al Del Greco is a great golfer and he was a kicker for Heaven's sake...

golf is not complicated to master... the master's tour... heck Annika Sorrenstam can play on the PGA... not sure if many women could play in the NFL, the MLB or the NBA...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
look, golf does not take alot of physical skill...
duffy Waldorf, John daly...
i am not denying that Tiger is in great physical shape and that he is athletic but he is not the best athlete... heck, Al Del Greco is a great golfer and he was a kicker for Heaven's sake...

golf is not complicated to master... the master's tour... heck Annika Sorrenstam can play on the PGA... not sure if many women could play in the NFL, the MLB or the NBA...

David Wells
CC Sabathia
Manute Bol
Shawn Bradley
insert any Cows OL player

I can keep going on out of shape people that excel in their sport. That argument has very little weight.

Let me know when you can shoot 72 in golf, ok??? If you're a mid-80's golfer...you're fooling yourself if you think that with regular practice you can become a scratch golfer all of a sudden. It's a lot harder than you could ever imagine...

BullFrog Dad
05-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Take a look at the % of people that play golf to the % that play on the PGA Tour Read your post.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:30 AM
not really... it is not as hard as you make it out to be...
golf is not that difficult... the ball sits on the groung motionless and then you swing the club at it, while everyone else is quiet and noone has a hand in your face, coming at you trying to punch your face in... like bowling...
I like golf so get your panties or fruit of the looms out of a wad... Tiger simply is not the best athlete, period.

John Kruk was not an athlete, he even said that himself... but I bet he could be a great golfer if he worked at it...

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Some of you people get athlete and in shape mixed up. I know a bunch of very out of shape people that are great athletes. Will some of them ever excell in any sport as out of shape as they are, no not many but they are still exceptional athletes. Some very out of shape people have still been able to showcase there athletic ability in their sports, and all sports have these athletes. Not just golf....

And no golf is not easy, the slightest mistake at impact will cause significant damage when the ball stops rolling.

How is this for size,,,,,,in basketball the goal is the same height and same location everytime you shoot the ball, granted someone is suppose to be defending you, but you also get to shoot the ball with your hand. In golf you have to maneuver a club through a swing to strike the ball and TRY TO GET IT TO GO TO WHERE YOU WANT IT TO, A HOLE THAT IS NOT IN THE SAME PLACE EVERYTIME SOMETIMES ON A HILLSIDE SOMETIMES IN A SWALE WITH WATER AND SAND AND TREES IN THE WAY, DO I REALLY NEED TO KEEP ON WITH ALL OF THE OBSTACLES AND FACTORS THAT COME INTO PLAY, WIND ROUGH LIES COME ON PEOPLE, this is not that hard to realize and admit you are wrong sometimes.......

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
not really... it is not as hard as you make it out to be...
golf is not that difficult... the ball sits on the groung motionless and then you swing the club at it, while everyone else is quiet and noone has a hand in your face, coming at you trying to punch your face in... like bowling...
I like golf so get your panties or fruit of the looms out of a wad... Tiger simply is not the best athlete, period.

John Kruk was not an athlete, he even said that himself... but I bet he could be a great golfer if he worked at it...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You are exactly right, golf is so easy I think I'll quit my job and go practice everyday so I can make millions just like Tiger. Heck I've played since I was 5 so he doesn't have that much on me. I mean if all it takes is practice then I'm there. I can't wait to start living like a golf star.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:43 AM
no way that playing golf is harder than playing in the NBA, or the NFL or MLB...

there are some very intrinsic details to playing golf... but you have the same swing... the ball is in the same place... so that makes all things equal...

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
knock yourself out stud... hope you succeed

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
You are exactly right, golf is so easy I think I'll quit my job and go practice everyday so I can make millions just like Tiger. Heck I've played since I was 5 so he doesn't have that much on me. I mean if all it takes is practice then I'm there. I can't wait to start living like a golf star

good post, not much to even say to that....

Snyder_TigerFan
05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
no way that playing golf is harder than playing in the NBA, or the NFL or MLB...

there are some very intrinsic details to playing golf... but you have the same swing... the ball is in the same place... so that makes all things equal...

Showing your intelligence.:rolleyes:

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Read your post.
So I didn't give definitive parameters. I clarified above...cut the # to 40...or 35...or 30. You'll see the same things.

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:48 AM

you could end up with the ball above your feet, below your feet, an uphill lie or a down hill lie. All of these circumstances are going to have a say in how you should swing or where your ball is going to go.

themsu97
yeah... ya'll are all sooooo intelligent...
it is golf...

no way it takes more athleticism to play golf than to play either basketball, football or baseball...talk about delusional

Macarthur
Tiger is a great athlete. However, golf is not an athletic endeavor. It is a skill, as is race car driving. That doesn't mean the guys are not or can not be athletes; just that that "sport" is not an athletic endeavor.

An athletic game or contest requires running, jumping and some form of hand-eye or eye-foot cordination.

Skills, such as golf & race car driving, do require hand-eye or eye-foot coordination, but so does playing a video game and no one claims that as a sport.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
look out mcarthur... they will say that you are dumb and argue with you... but great point...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:50 AM

So you use the same golf swing with a wedge from 75 yards that you use with a driver on the tee? How about with your putter? How about if your 75 yard wedge shot has to go under a tree...over the water...around the bunker....fly into the green. The number of variables is endless that can be faced on a golf course. It's not just step up to the ball...grab a club...make the same swing every time. :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Tiger is a great athlete. However, golf is not an athletic endeavor. It is a skill, as is race car driving. That doesn't mean the guys are not or can not be athletes; just that that "sport" is not an athletic endeavor.

An athletic game or contest requires running, jumping and some form of hand-eye or eye-foot cordination.

Skills, such as golf & race car driving, do require hand-eye or eye-foot coordination, but so does playing a video game and no one claims that as a sport.

so a pitcher...or catcher...or anybody at the plate really isn't an athlete. The batter stands there and swings the bat. The pitcher throws to the batter. The catcher squats down to catch the pitch. Ever watch Shaq play a lot of basketball? He sure doesn't do too much running up and down the court. :thinking:

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
so a pitcher...or catcher...or anybody at the plate really isn't an athlete. The batter stands there and swings the bat. The pitcher throws to the batter. The catcher squats down to catch the pitch. Ever watch Shaq play a lot of basketball? He sure doesn't do too much running up and down the court. :thinking:

I'm confused.

I never said baseball wasn't a sport or an athletic endeavor...

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM

This is my last come back to the unathletic or unintelligent. Which ever applies to which ever posters, b/c it is one of the 2.

I WOULD LOVE TO WALK 18 HOLES OF GOLF WITH YOU AND SEE HOW YOUR ENDURANCE AND EYE HAND COORDINATION HOLD UP THROUGH 18 HOLES. IF A GOLF SWING DOESN'T TAKE HAND-EYE CORDINATION I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-03-2007, 09:54 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh well.

I know something about Tiger we can all agree onhttp://thedivot.com/images/cafe1.jpg his wife.

District303aPastPlayer

have you seen the ATHLETIC skill of those car drivers to perform standing back flips off of their car?

Macarthur
Originally posted by buff4ever
This is my last come back to the unathletic or unintelligent. Which ever applies to which ever posters, b/c it is one of the 2.

I WOULD LOVE TO WALK 18 HOLES OF GOLF WITH YOU AND SEE HOW YOUR ENDURANCE AND EYE HAND COORDINATION HOLD UP THROUGH 18 HOLES. IF A GOLF SWING DOESN'T TAKE HAND-EYE CORDINATION I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES.

You didn't read all my post. I said golf does require that, but it's a skill, not an athletic sport.

STOP YELLING!

Adidas410s
I'm confused.

I never said baseball wasn't a sport or an athletic endeavor...
Based on your terminology...if you aren't running or jumping then you're not an athlete. The pitcher and catcher sure don't...the batter only runs if he hits the ball...and then sometimes he still doesn't run because he knows he's out.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
you are really reaching addidas...

a batter has an object coming at him... different from hitting a ball that is lying in the grass,,,

from 75 yards out...for me... probably the same swing I would use from 120 out... except I would use a different club... like a sw or a lw...

i walked 36 the other day on a course with yardage of about 6500... shot a 86 and then a 84...
the more I move, the looser my back gets, the better I hit the ball

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
have you seen the ATHLETIC skill of those car drivers to perform standing back flips off of their car?

Do you people not read the post or do you just react to the first thing you don't like?

I said just because race car driving or golf are not athletic endeavors, that doesn't mean the person performing that can not be an athlete.

That dude could do a backflip regardless of his occupation. There are golfers and football players that can do standing back flips. Doing back flips has nothing to do with driving a race car. That's beside the point.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:58 AM
dude... Tigers wife is hot... ahve you ever seen Justin Leonard's wife... she is smokin' as well...

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Based on your terminology...if you aren't running or jumping then you're not an athlete. The pitcher and catcher sure don't...the batter only runs if he hits the ball...and then sometimes he still doesn't run because he knows he's out.

That's not what I said.

Pitchers and catchers have to run all the time to field balls, etc.

You're missing my point.

There could be many golfers that are better athletes than some baseball players. The point is that the game of golf is not an athletic endeavor just because the dude playing it is athletic.

Am I explaining myself clearly?

themsu97
05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
they read with blinders... kids of today... go figure...:rolleyes:

themsu97
05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
also, by some of your logic... pool players must be great athletes as well because the cue ball is never in the same place

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
also, by some of your logic... pool players must be great athletes as well because the cue ball is never in the same place

Nope.

Pool is a skill.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
not your logic mcarthur... I agree that pool is a skill... but they used the scenario of how the golf ball can lie in various places thus affecting the shot...
speaking of shots...is time to leave yet?

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
That's not what I said.

Pitchers and catchers have to run all the time to field balls, etc.

You're missing my point.

There could be many golfers that are better athletes than some baseball players. The point is that the game of golf is not an athletic endeavor just because the dude playing it is athletic.

Am I explaining myself clearly?
So you're saying that you don't have to be an athlete to play golf...therefore it's not an athletic endeavor, correct?

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
So you're saying that you don't have to be an athlete to play golf...therefore it's not an athletic endeavor, correct?

No.

The athleticness or lack of athleticness of the person playing has no effect on whether it is an athletic edeavor or not.

I've played basketball with some dudes that were very unathletic, but were very good at the game of basketball. What I'm saying is the skill set of the individual has no bearing on how I classify the "sport".

Does that make sense?

themsu97
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
dangit mcarthur...youcheated...youused logic and stated your opinion... that will never fly here

Reds fan
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
If it has ever been on ABC's Wide World Of Sports... then it is a sport:D

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 10:36 AM
dangit mcarthur...youcheated...youused logic and stated your opinion... that will never fly here
you should try it some time...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 10:39 AM
No.

The athleticness or lack of athleticness of the person playing has no effect on whether it is an athletic edeavor or not.

I've played basketball with some dudes that were very unathletic, but were very good at the game of basketball. What I'm saying is the skill set of the individual has no bearing on how I classify the "sport".

Does that make sense?
K. So if you don't classify a sport based on skills nor do you classify it based on athleticism...then how do you make your determination? I may have missed that part earlier...

I got where you said:

How are things such as running, jumping, hitting, throwing, etc not skills?

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I think people are trying to seperate Skill and athleticism when they go hand in hand

You can know how do a skill..but if you dont have the natural talent then you cant actually perfom it well

Someone can KNOW the mechanics on how to hit a baseball and teach it to others, but if they dont haver the ATHLETIC ability to perform the skill then even know they know how to, they wont do it well

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think people are trying to seperate Skill and athleticism when they go hand in hand

You can know how do a skill..but if you dont have the natural talent then you cant actually perfom it well

Someone can KNOW the mechanics on how to hit a baseball and teach it to others, but if they dont haver the ATHLETIC ability to perform the skill then even know they know how to, they wont do it well

I disagree. Anyone can learn a skill, but not everyone can have an althletic ability to carry out the skill. That is why some people are better at a skill than others.

JasperDog94
05-03-2007, 10:46 AM
After reading this thread, I have a question.

Should band be considered a sport? It takes a lot of skill and it takes physical activity to hold your instrument and march.

BuffyMars
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I see what you are saying now.

I believe they are 2 separate entities, but yes, inside the game, you need BOTH to excel at sports.

themsu97
really, adidas... you should try it... when do you turn 21?

pirate4state
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Should band be considered a sport? It takes a lot of skill and it takes physical activity to hold your instrument and march. Oh lordy.....where is handNthedirt or whatever his name was when you need him!!! LMAO! This is about to get worse.

this thread makes my head hurt

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 10:50 AM
really, adidas... you should try it... when do you turn 21?

it's been a while...let me check the calendar!

mustang59
05-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Should band be considered a sport? It takes a lot of skill and it takes physical activity to hold your instrument and march.
I don't think of it as a sport, but the kids get PE credit for it because of all the hours they spend in marching rehearsals. It is certainly a physical activity.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 10:52 AM
those band kids are out there in the heat of august doing two a days just like the footballers... so high school band has some merit...

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
K. So if you don't classify a sport based on skills nor do you classify it based on athleticism...then how do you make your determination? I may have missed that part earlier...

Really just as I said, football, soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. require running, jumping, throwing, as well as, the hand-eye coordination. That makes it an athletic sport, IMO.

Bowling, golf, car driving, etc. requires primarily hand-eye. Therefore, IMO, it's an athletic skill.

How are things such as running, jumping, hitting, throwing, etc not skills?

In that context, skill would be comparitive. In other words, some people run, jump, hit better than others (i.e., have more skill), but someone that is lesser isn't void of that skill; they just have less.

Emerson1
05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
those band kids are out there in the heat of august doing two a days just like the footballers... so high school band has some merit...
Band is not a sport. If someone has to give their opinion to find a winner, it\'s not a sport. Same with figure skating and gymnastics. It\'s all opinion on if they did the move or formation right.

Anyone remember the thread about the chick who was complaing about the football team coming out before their show was over and warming up in the endzone?