smustangs
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
i concur

piratebg
05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Michael "Air" Jordan :)

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
It is close. I think when it is all said and done Tiger will pass Jordan. Federer is up there too.

injuredinmelee
05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
it would help if Federer played a sport with a bigger fan base.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Tiger can play golf at a very high level for a very long time. Jordan played in a different sport and had a limited career proportionatly. But which is the biggest superstar? Well everyone in the world can recognize the Jordan silouette, so I say now he is the biggest superstar. However Tiger will have a much longer professional career if he chooses and will be the bigger superstar in the end.

big daddy russ
05-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I agree.

sinton66
05-02-2007, 10:19 PM
GOLF??????? Puhleeeeeze! I really don't like pumkinball, but GOLF????? Jordan is the best pumkin pusher ever.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
GOLF??????? Puhleeeeeze! I really don't like pumkinball, but GOLF????? Jordan is the best pumkin pusher ever.

Yeah but reguardless of what we think about the sports, granted I love golf and basketball that doesn't matter. The world recognizes Tiger as a superstar despite what he plays. Any man that marries a women like his is a superstar in my book.

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Tiger is huge in asian countries due to his mother :D

Rabbit'93
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
wasn't jordan the last generation and Tiger is this generation?:confused:

JR2004
05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe this would be closer if they were comparing TWO athletes instead of one athlete and a golfer. Golfers are NOT athletes! Tiger is great at what he does, but he's not an athlete.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Maybe this would be closer if they were comparing TWO athletes instead of one athlete and a golfer. Golfers are NOT athletes! Tiger is great at what he does, but he's not an athlete.

Lets get this started again. Just because he plays golf means he's not an athlete? So was 400lbs Gilbert Brown an athlete because he played football? Or what about major league pitchers? Tiger is a hell of an athlete, you ever seen him workout, he's huge. To play golf at the top level for an extended period of time you have to be an athlete, it requires hand eye coordination, strength, endurance, and mental acuteness that most sports lack. So come back with the retort that "Well is John Daly an athlete?" That's what people usually say that think golfers aren't athletes.

wedo
05-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't think this should even be a question IMO

Jordan!!!

Is golf a sport???

JasperDog94
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Tiger is great at what he does, but he's not an athlete. Word!:)

bulldogman06
05-03-2007, 04:22 AM
seriously? this generation? what is the year range for this generation???

Old Tiger
05-03-2007, 04:28 AM
For my generation the biggest superstar was Mr. Thorpe!

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Word!:)

come on now Jasper...put down the crackpipe.

Athlete - an individual who demonstrates skill in a sport, trains and competes as part of her/his regular routine or career goal.

How does this definition NOT apply to golf??? :thinking:

Oh and for the record...Jordan told reporters yesterday that it's a lot harder for Tiger to win the grand slam of golf than it was for Jordan to win 6 championships. His reasoning is because he could have an off game or series and others are there to pick him up. Also...he was only competing against one other person. Tiger doesn't have anybody else to take his place when he's down...and he's competing against 100+ every week on different courses all the time.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
tiger is a great golfer and he is in great shape, but he is not the greatest athlete, that is the point...

however,
"sometimes i dream, that he is me"
"Money, it's gotta be the shoes"
Michael is far and away past Tiger...
as for Federer, he truly dominates his sport in a way no other athlete dominated their sport...problem 1) its tennis, no one cares 2) he is not american so the country will not embrace him or hear alot about him... if it were Roddick or Blake there would be a lot more run on Federer's domination

themsu97
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Tiger has far superior equipment than the other guys ever did... you cannot compare across eras... Snead was a full time doctor and only played when he could...
early on in Arnie and Jack's career the British and PGA were amatuer events so the only way to be in those were to be amateurs, the game has changed alot

Darren
05-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Jordan is the best athelete.

Tiger is the best golfer today but isn't nearly as athletic as Jordan. Do you think that Tiger could play minor league baseball?

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
Tiger has far superior equipment than the other guys ever did... you cannot compare across eras... Snead was a full time doctor and only played when he could...
early on in Arnie and Jack's career the British and PGA were amatuer events so the only way to be in those were to be amateurs, the game has changed alot

The other guys also played courses that fit their equipment too. The course played to 6,925 yards in 1997 and many years before...but to 7,445 yards today.

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
I played five sports in high school in my day (football, basketball, baseball, track and golf). Golf was by far the toughest to excell at, I am going to say it takes incredible athleticism to compete in this sport of golf. Those who say it is not a sport are lesser athletes than they are willing to admit.

Like someone said, b/c a lard butt can get in the way of a defender does not mean he has any eye hand coordination amongst other things. This is a no brainer, golf is a sport, those who discredit that suck at it. I am sorry that you can't enjoy the sport of golf more, it is a lot of fun for those of us that are athletes enough to atleast play well enough to enjoy it.

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I played five sports in high school in my day (football, basketball, baseball, track and golf). Golf was by far the toughest to excell at, I am going to say it takes incredible athleticism to compete in this sport of golf. Those who say it is not a sport are lesser athletes than they are willing to admit.

Like someone said, b/c a lard butt can get in the way of a defender does not mean he has any eye hand coordination amongst other things. This is a no brainer, golf is a sport, those who discredit that suck at it. I am sorry that you can't enjoy the sport of golf more, it is a lot of fun for those of us that are athletes enough to atleast play well enough to enjoy it.

One other thought...I know if I went and spent 4 hrs a day for a year that I could be throwing back between 85-90 mph again. I know if I spend 4 hours a day practicing/playing golf that my handicap would drop from my 9-10 to probably 4 or 5. That wouldn't even be enough to sniff the US Amateur local qualifier...which requires that I have at least a 2.4 handicap.

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 09:00 AM
When it comes to who is a superstar my rule is this

Would a NON-Sports fan who truly watches NOTHING when it comes to sports be able to identify the person.

In that vein BOTH Jordan and Woods qualify. I dont think one surpasses another because they are from different eras and play different sports.

Phil C
05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
In ten years the winner will be Vince Young easily.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:02 AM
wwwwaaaaa... you guys that are knocking it must then suck at it...wwwaaaaaa....
that is the most pathetic thing I ever hear... golf is not difficult... you hit a ball... no one is in your face, every one is quiet... I am not a good golfer and I shoot in the mid 80's now, and trust me i am not very good... but if I were to do nothing but play golf I would be okay...
baseball is difficult... the hardest thing to do is to hit a round ball with a round bat while it is coming at you 90+... and even if you could throw that hard, does not mean you could play in the majors...
Football takes skill because it is one man against another... basketball is difficult as well...
but Michael is far better than Tiger, end of story

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
wwwwaaaaa... you guys that are knocking it must then suck at it...wwwaaaaaa....
that is the most pathetic thing I ever hear... golf is not difficult... you hit a ball... no one is in your face, every one is quiet... I am not a good golfer and I shoot in the mid 80's now, and trust me i am not very good... but if I were to do nothing but play golf I would be okay...

Try getting to where you can shoot regularly in the mid to high 70's from where you are now. I used to be a solid 85 (13-14 handicap) 3 years ago. It's taken me 3 years of pretty much year round golf to get my handicap down to between 9 and 10...and it still takes a great day to shoot in the high 70's. I can't even fathom taking another 10-12 strokes off my handicap to where I was a +3 or +4 guy. I (and 99% of all golfers) aren't capable of doing it. End of story...

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Let me say this, I don't think I could see Tiger pulling ahead of Jordan in a poll on this only due to the number of fans in golf versus basketball.

I would say that Tiger has done more for golf with his success than Jordan did for basketball with his. There are players that the media and fans have tried to compare to Jordan (Lebron, Kobe, and some others as well) that you could say have done a lot for the sport as well. There are not any golfers that have been compared to Tiger Woods yet, and if he hasn't passed up all the legends that are still great legends he is soon to.

That is how I base my vote which would probably go to Tiger.

Look at how many championships sha

SintonFan
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Golf is fun. Riding the golfcart is more fun.
Riding the golfcart after a 6 pack and not caring about your score anymore... priceless.

Phil C
05-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I should have got some consideration. See Below!

http://www.indigenthealthcaresolutions.com/photo_album/2006-auditors-el_paso/originals/426.jpg

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:18 AM
sorry hit the wrong button, i was just going to say that it is not out of the question for other nba players to get as many championships as jordan, and it depends on how good their teammates are. Tiger is having to when his championships and majors on his own.

And now you have hacked me off txbroadcaster.......A lot of good golfers can shoot in the mid 80's even low 80's, and I will stretch it to high 70's with a lot of golfing and practice. The absolute hardest thing to accomplish is getting from 78 to 74 or better. Is is easy to play bogey golf and throw in 5 pars and shoot an 85, heck you may even double and throw in a birdie here or there amongst other scenarios. But to regularly par every hole and throw in some birdies is the hardest step to make amongst any sport that I have ever competed in.

A LOT OF GOLFERS think that if they played everyday that they could make it big. I think 90% or better of them would have a rude awakening in finding out that you hit a brick wall in the upper 70's and that only the elite athletes in golf make it to even par and better.

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 09:20 AM

And now you have hacked me off txbroadcaster.......

WTH??? I said nothing about golf and if it is easy or hard

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:22 AM
get off the golf kick... it is not difficult... I mean seriously... it is not... a couple of lessons, a few shots here and there and ouila, you are a good golfer...
like I said on the other one, no one has said that Tiger is not a good athlete, but to compare athleticism to Jordan is a slap in the face of Jordan...

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
SORRY TXBROADCASTER..........THEMSU OR WHOEVER said it and I apologize. He is the fella that pissed me off. He thinks it is easy to excell at golf because he is a good athlete and can shoot in the mid 80's. It takes far better than a good athlete to get over the brick wall and shoot even par golf.

TXBROADCASTER YOU HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING TO HACK ME OFF, CAN'T believe I thought that was you for a second.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
whoa... never said I was a good athlete and that is precisely my point... when i get time to actually play and go to the range, my game improves considerably...golf is not difficult... kind of like bowling... the other 3 are way more difficult to master and be good at...
my opinion...

jason
05-03-2007, 09:28 AM
get off the golf kick... it is not difficult... I mean seriously... it is not... a couple of lessons, a few shots here and there and ouila, you are a good golfer...
like I said on the other one, no one has said that Tiger is not a good athlete, but to compare athleticism to Jordan is a slap in the face of Jordan... if it were that easy, everybody would be doing it...hitting a ball 300+ yards, and hitting it straight is one of the most difficult things to do in sports.....

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2007, 09:29 AM
SORRY TXBROADCASTER..........THEMSU OR WHOEVER said it and I apologize. He is the fella that pissed me off. He thinks it is easy to excell at golf because he is a good athlete and can shoot in the mid 80's. It takes far better than a good athlete to get over the brick wall and shoot even par golf.

TXBROADCASTER YOU HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING TO HACK ME OFF, CAN'T believe I thought that was you for a second.

LOL no biggie

Now about golf and if it easy

I remember at a course in Longview a guy was a GREAT golfer..shoot reguarly in low 70's

Well a pro gave him the style of clubs they use on the PGA for a week...HE never got below 85

The clubs they use in the PGA have smaller sweet spot and dont allow for mistake shots

coach
05-03-2007, 09:30 AM
if tiger is as big or bigger than jordan then how come he doesnt have his own logo? yall are pathetic comparing jordan's popularity to tiger and having roger ferder in the same sentence as both of them....wow? and i thought yall saying kobe was better than jordan was bad?

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
LOL no biggie

Now about golf and if it easy

I remember at a course in Longview a guy was a GREAT golfer..shoot reguarly in low 70's

Well a pro gave him the style of clubs they use on the PGA for a week...HE never got below 85

The clubs they use in the PGA have smaller sweet spot and dont allow for mistake shots

Yeah anyone ever hit some blades? I mean I play some Titleist 804 OS and they have a tiny sweet spot compared to some of my buddies but I can fade and draw these and they can't. I can't imagine playing some of the iron shots that pros do.

I know Ad would step in and help argue this for me today!:clap:

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I think Phil C deserves some love...

the sweet spot on the clubs today are larger than ever and the pros play with oversized clubs, which means a larger sweet spot... tighter wound balls (teehee), larger heads on drivers (teehee again)... the game is easier...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by coach
if tiger is as big or bigger than jordan then how come he doesnt have his own logo?

Its been out there for a while
http://www.geocities.com/quik2ship/Tiger_Woods/logo_2.JPG
http://media.musictoday.com/store/bands/1118/product_medium/T7CH05.jpg

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:38 AM
difference is, these young uns have been taught to swing on Tigers jock and have no idea that Tiger is not even close to being Michael...

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I think Phil C deserves some love...

the sweet spot on the clubs today are larger than ever and the pros play with oversized clubs, which means a larger sweet spot... tighter wound balls (teehee), larger heads on drivers (teehee again)... the game is easier...

They aren't playing with oversized clubs. Geez you're a moron who has no idea, huh?

Most pros on tour play blades...which are considerably smaller than the cavity backed irons that you and I play. They don't use wound balls...they use multi-piece/core balls. Yes the drivers have larger heads...but the rules regarding sprind and MOI (moment of intertia) that a club can have according to USGA and R&A standards hasn't changed from a long time ago.

Please make a legimate point some time today. Oh wait you did...Phil C DOES deserve some love! :)

themsu97
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
know the rules... seen the clubs of today compared to those of the 80's and even the 90's and the seet spot is larger... I think you are the idiot... and the balls are more tightly compressed... live in your own little world and keep swingin from Tigers jock... you must love the smell

Snyder_TigerFan
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
This is one of those arguments that will never be resolved. I agree with Txbroadcaster...these are two athletes from two different sports, how can you possibly say which one is better than the other? They have both take their sports to new levels and have raised the question in their respective sport....who is the next Jordan....or who is the next Tiger Woods? They are/were the elite of their sport and will be/have been the aspiration of younger generations.

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
know the rules... seen the clubs of today compared to those of the 80's and even the 90's and the seet spot is larger... I think you are the idiot... and the balls are more tightly compressed... live in your own little world and keep swingin from Tigers jock... you must love the smell

a blade iron today is very similar to a blade iron from the 80's and 90's. I have a set of Wilson LT 1200's (circa 1985ish) laying around and I have a friend that still plays the Lynx Black Cat (see Fred Couples circa 1993) and they are very comparable in size to any forged blade that is played today. At least get your facts straight so you'll stop looking like a donk. Are the balls wound or compressed? You seem to know so much...which is it?

buff4ever
05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
This is one of those arguments that will never be resolved. I agree with Txbroadcaster...these are two athletes from two different sports, how can you possibly say which one is better than the other? They have both take their sports to new levels and have raised the question in their respective sport....who is the next Jordan....or who is the next Tiger Woods? They are/were the elite of their sport and will be/have been the aspiration of younger generations.

I pretty well agree, way back there somewhere I think I pretty well said the same, I just made a point to those hard headed peeps out there to why I think Tiger deserves the same recognition.

I have been alive long enough to watch both tiger and jordan, not hanging from eithers' jock, so you can kick that conclusion out the window. Man what an idiot.

Adidas410s
05-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Like many other things...you can make a case for either side. As long as people can present factual arguments...that's all that I ask for.

themsu97
05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
so, what you are saying is that the balls today are exactly the same as they were 10 years ago and that the clubs are exactly the same... wood to metal...titanu\ium, graphite... yeah, and I am the donk...
and the rules basically say that the ball has to be spherical...