PDA

View Full Version : NBA's and these Technicals are rediculous!

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 02:15 PM
nm the title speaks for itself

Macarthur
05-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Well, I'm kinda torn on this.

I do not like how Stephen Jackson has acted. He is a knucklehead and I think the league should crack down on guys acting like punks.

However, I watch these games and I can understand how these guys can get upset. There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to how fouls are called. I think the officials anticipate too much. My father was an official for many years and in his opinion, the biggest mistake most officials make is anticipating what is going to be a foul instead of calling only what you see.

There was one foul on Devin Harris last night and the replay showed that his hand was a good 2 feet away from the player when he swiped at him. The official saw the swipe and anticipated that he touched the other player.

JasperDog94
05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

I do not like how Stephen Jackson has acted. He is a knucklehead and I think the league should crack down on guys acting like punks.

However, I watch these games and I can understand how these guys can get upset. There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to how fouls are called. I think the officials anticipate too much. My father was an official for many years and in his opinion, the biggest mistake most officials make is anticipating what is going to be a foul instead of calling only what you see.

There was one foul on Devin Harris last night and the replay showed that his hand was a good 2 feet away from the player when he swiped at him. The official saw the swipe and anticipated that he touched the other player. I would rather have a late foul called than a phantom foul.

Adidas410s
05-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

There was one foul on Devin Harris last night and the replay showed that his hand was a good 2 feet away from the player when he swiped at him. The official saw the swipe and anticipated that he touched the other player.

same thing with the intentional foul on Baron Davis...

how about Howard getting called for his 5th foul when his hand was on Bietric's back as he was making a dunk...

Learning not to anticipate was one of the basics I learned in officiating. Want to look dumb in baseball? Call a guy out at home for the last out of the game only to see the ball go rolling across the ground away from the catcher because you assumed his tag would be there in time. I never did that...but I have done this: Called a strike as the batter hit the ball into the outfield...:doh: I sure didn't make that mistake twice...

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I guess the NBA wants it's product to become emotionless.

BILLYFRED0000
05-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I guess the NBA wants it's product to become emotionless.

Not at all.

The NBA wants basketball. Not basketbrawl. I prefer a tightly called game. Make the players adjust their game.

smustangs
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
same thing with the intentional foul on Baron Davis...

how about Howard getting called for his 5th foul when his hand was on Bietric's back as he was making a dunk...

Learning not to anticipate was one of the basics I learned in officiating. Want to look dumb in baseball? Call a guy out at home for the last out of the game only to see the ball go rolling across the ground away from the catcher because you assumed his tag would be there in time. I never did that...but I have done this: Called a strike as the batter hit the ball into the outfield...:doh: I sure didn't make that mistake twice...

i was calling my first game of little league baseball with a guy who had been calling for about 3 years and he was calling bases and a kid slid into second and was clearly safe and he shouts safe but gives the out signal. we all made fun of him for it and still do sometimes haha

JR2004
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
NBA officials are morons and they all deserve to be fired. There is no consistency whatsover to how they call a game. They're so bad they make MLB umps look like they're competent. NBA officials are the worst group of attention you know whats I've ever seen in my life. I'm waiting for the moment when Steve Javie finally pisses off the wrong player with his antics and gets knocked out cold. If anyone deserves something like that, it's him.

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Not at all.

The NBA wants basketball. Not basketbrawl. I prefer a tightly called game. Make the players adjust their game. I prefer games that they let them play it makes the game more heated. College basketball is much better due to the emotion.

Rabbit'93
05-02-2007, 08:48 PM
There is a difference between emotion and acting like a punk. I'm all for playing with emotion but to act like S. Jackson does on a consintant basis is unexscuable. People like to complain about officials but they have 10 grown men on the floor that act like 4 year olds. Play with emotion but leave that other crap out.

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
There is a difference between emotion and acting like a punk. I'm all for playing with emotion but to act like S. Jackson does on a consintant basis is unexscuable. People like to complain about officials but they have 10 grown men on the floor that act like 4 year olds. Play with emotion but leave that other crap out. So that was acting like a punk last night when he was just clapping? Was that acting like a punk when Tim D. was laughing? That's what we are talking about.

Rabbit'93
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
So that was acting like a punk last night when he was just clapping? Was that acting like a punk when Tim D. was laughing? That's what we are talking about. No you were talking about playing with emotion. Acting like a child is not playing with emotion. I was at AAC last night and you should see the way S Jackson acts. It's rediculous.

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
No you were talking about playing with emotion. Acting like a child is not playing with emotion. I was at AAC last night and you should see the way S Jackson acts. It's rediculous. Emotion brings out the best and worst in people it's a part of life.

3afan
05-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
....I'm waiting for the moment when Steve Javie finally pisses off the wrong player with his antics and gets knocked out cold. If anyone deserves something like that, it's him.

no one deserves to be assaulted for a call made in a game ... this mentality in itself is a much bigger problem that erroneous calls made in a game

IMO

bulldogman06
05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
i dont care if they call it tight or loose, just call it the same! thats all i care about. and thats why i hate nba refs

Macarthur
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
NBA officials are morons and they all deserve to be fired. There is no consistency whatsover to how they call a game. They're so bad they make MLB umps look like they're competent. NBA officials are the worst group of attention you know whats I've ever seen in my life. I'm waiting for the moment when Steve Javie finally pisses off the wrong player with his antics and gets knocked out cold. If anyone deserves something like that, it's him.

I'm not a fan of NBA officials so I don't want this to sound like I'm defending them, but officiating in the NBA is far and away the most difficult officiating job in all of pro sports. They have a very difficult job.

Having said that, there still needs to be some consistency.