PDA

View Full Version : White refs call more fouls on black players

Snyder_TigerFan
05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Study shows black players whistled more than whitesAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- An academic study of NBA officiating found that white referees called fouls at a greater rate against black players than against white players, The New York Times reported on its Web site Tuesday night.

The study by a University of Pennsylvania assistant professor and Cornell graduate student also found that black officials called fouls more frequently against white players than black, but noted that that tendency was not as pronounced.

Justin Wolfers, an assistant professor of business and public policy at Penn's Wharton School, and Joseph Price, a Cornell graduate student in economics, said the difference in calls "is large enough that the probability of a team winning is noticeably affected by the racial composition of the refereeing crew."

The study, conducted over a 13-season span through 2004, found that the racial makeup of a three-man officiating crew affected calls by up to 4½ percent.

The NBA strongly criticized the study, which was based on information from publicly available box scores, which show only the referees' names and contain no information about which official made a call.

"The study that is cited in the New York Times article is wrong," president of league and basketball operations Joel Litvin told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "The fact is there is no evidence of racial bias in foul calls made by NBA officials and that is based on a study conducted by our experts who looked at data that was far more robust and current than the data relied upon by Professor Wolfers.

"The short of it is Wolfers and Price only looked at calls made by three-man crews. Our experts were able to analyze calls made by individual referees."

Litvin said the NBA's study, using data from November 2004 to January 2007, included some 148,000 calls and included which official made each call. The Times said the NBA denied a request by Wolfers and Price to obtain that information, citing its confidentiality agreement with the officials.

The study also found differences in everything from a decrease in scoring to a rise in turnovers depending on the officials' race.

"Player-performance appears to deteriorate at every margin when officiated by a larger fraction of opposite-race referees," Wolfers and Price wrote.

But the key finding was in regard to foul calls, saying "black players receive around 0.12-0.20 more fouls per 48 minutes played [an increase of 2½-4½ percent] when the number of white referees officiating a game increases from zero to three."

The NBA has an observer at each game and closely monitors its officials, who are required to file reports after each game they work and are expected to be able to explain each potentially controversial call they have made.

Litvin said in an original version of the paper, dated March 2006, Wolfers and Price came to the conclusion that there was no bias. He added that the NBA's research "all prove beyond any doubt in our minds that these guys are just flat wrong."

"They reached conclusions in their own papers that are unsupported by their own calculations," Litvin said.

Wolfers and Price are set to present the paper at meetings of the Society of Labor Economists on Friday and the American Law and Economics Association on Sunday. The Times said they will then submit it to the National Bureau of Economic Research and for formal peer review before consideration by an economic journal.

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh no........................:eek: :eek:

Snyder_TigerFan
05-02-2007, 08:41 AM
:rolleyes: Probably because 80% of the players are black.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Oh no........................:eek: :eek:

Sorry RM. I just thought it was a cheesy study.

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Sorry RM. I just thought it was a cheesy study.

That's cool....I was just waiting for our downlow chapter of NCAAP to jump on the bandwagon!!

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
That's cool....I was just waiting for our downlow chapter of NCAAP to jump on the bandwagon!! AL SHARPTON, AND THE REV JESSIE JACKSON ARE BUSY TRY TO CLEAN UP UNIMPORTANT STUFF LIKE DON IMUS. OFF COURSE MARTIN AND MALCOM ARE IN THE BAHAMAS WITH TUPAC AND ELVIS, AND NOW ANNA NICHOLE so we are running short on NAACP PERSONNEL.

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
AL SHARPTON, AND THE REV JESSIE JACKSON ARE BUSY TRY TO CLEAN UP UNIMPORTANT STUFF LIKE DON IMUS. OFF COURSE MARTIN AND MALCOM ARE IN THE BAHAMAS WITH TUPAC AND ELVIS, AND NOW ANNA NICHOLE so we are running short on NAACP PERSONNEL.

:eek: :eek: Are you yelling at me????:(

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
:eek: :eek: Are you yelling at me????:( How would I yell on the internet??????:doh:

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 09:05 AM
How would I yell on the internet??????:doh:

LIKE THIS!!!!! ALL CAPS!!!!

pirate4state
05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I am soooooooooooooo not in the mood for this today. If you must discuss this topic - keep it civil, is that even possible??? :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I am soooooooooooooo not in the mood for this today. If you must discuss this topic - keep it civil, is that even possible??? :rolleyes:

We are being civil so far.

Me and fotbal have no problems with each other....when I jokingly posted my little "NCAAP blurp"...fotbal wasn't even the poster I had in mind.

*cough KTA cough*:D :D :D

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
LIKE THIS!!!!! ALL CAPS!!!! Didn't have a clue that was how you yell, thanks for the info, but to answer your question, No didn't know caps button was on, My dad taught me not you hit or yell at a woman, just go in the bathroom and start:foul: :foul: :foul: Frat! Crack! Back!:foul: :foul: and come out of the bathroom with calm voice and say,"What ddi you say Dear"
uhmmm so if All caps means someone is yelling on here, i think i will start to put that to use, Thanx RM

pirate4state
05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
We are being civil so far.

Me and fotbal have no problems with each other....when I jokingly posted my little "NCAAP blurp"...fotbal wasn't even the poster I had in mind.

LOL ~~ I wasn't really talking about you two....just the subject matter. ;)

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 09:12 AM
LOL ~~ I wasn't really talking about you two....just the subject matter. ;) I love all Ladies, so no RM and I were getting our Funny on!:D

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I was thinking more like *cough Tiger WR cough*. :p

Phantom Stang
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I was thinking more like *cough Tiger WR cough*. :p
Is TigerWR BLACK??:eek:

:D

mustang04
05-02-2007, 09:18 AM
just don't let KTA or Tiger WR see this

there could be a sport with all black people and somehow someone somewhere would find a way to argue that the white officials are racists and go after the blacks only

Bearkat
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Someone actually got paid to do this research. How stupid!!!

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Is TigerWR BLACK??:eek: Actaully I think he's black with white trimming

:D :clap:

burnet44
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
study also indicates
refs call 100% fewer fouls on hispanics
there are none in the league?

and study shows that the refs call
45% more fouls on Europeans
than Americians

more europeans in the league

this is the dumbest thing Ive heard of in a long time

all this does is insinuate racism
which is the point of it all

what garbage

next study

do refs call more holding on black lt tackles than white ones

dumb

Phantom Stang
05-02-2007, 09:50 AM
:clap:
Did you mean to put words in my mouth??:confused:

Aint saying it wasn't funny, but it was still uncool.:hand:

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Is TigerWR BLACK??:eek:

:D
No, but one would think.... :doh: :doh:

pirate4state
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Aint saying it wasn't funny, but it was still uncool.:hand:

:confused:

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM

Aint saying it wasn't funny, but it was still uncool.:hand: I wrote some words on desk, but I don't think your mouth will open wide enough for me to put words in them:thinking:

Phantom Stang
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
:confused:
Scroll up to what I said and then look at his quote.;)

mwynn05
05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
There are so many factors that skew this data such as guys like Ron Artest and Ben Wallace who have bad reputations and sometimes get foul calls for that. I would like to see the whole article because every scholarly article has an errors section

Maroon87
05-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Which would mean that black refs call more fouls on blacks than whites, too.;)

JasperDog94
05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
There are so many factors that skew this data such as guys like Ron Artest and Ben Wallace who have bad reputations and sometimes get foul calls for that. I would like to see the whole article because every scholarly article has an errors section On the radio this morning they said that the study was done by looking at the box scores, seeing how many fouls were called, and then looking to see if the refs were white or black.

THEY DIDN'T WATCH THE GAME TAPE TO SEE WHO CALLED WHAT FOUL!!! If there were two white refs and one black, they have no idea who called each foul.

This study is completely bogus.

Gobbla2001
05-02-2007, 11:05 AM
im hoping this was on The Onion

JasperDog94
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
im hoping this was on The Onion Nope. It's a real study.

themsu97
05-02-2007, 11:22 AM
people have way too much time on their hands... that would be like saying that homeplate umpires call more strikes than the 2nd base umpire...

Old Tiger
05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Give him a warning quick for this race card incident!!!:mad:

burnet44
05-02-2007, 01:49 PM
This Is Also Why NBA Refs Drive Cabs In The Offseason
The big story this morning? A study by a couple of Ivy Leaguers "reveals" that white referees call disproportionately high number of foul calls on black players and, to a lesser extent, vice versa. We find it amusing, first off, that they found enough white players for the study.

NBA Tiny Man Of Unending Power David Stern is refuting the results, saying the NBA, after initially seeing the study last year, has done its own study that, shockingly, finds there is no racial bias. The best part of the study: It claims that a team of five white players, all things being equal, would win an average of two more games a season. Sure. All things being equal.

We have a feeling this study could end up having real legs; NBA players typically don't need much of an excuse anyway to grouse about calls, but they certainly were handed one here. We hope Rasheed Wallace doesn't realize he's black.

KTA
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Probably because 80% of the players are black.

Exactly

just don't let KTA or Tiger WR see this

I could care less, like I said IM WHITE...just dont like seeing racist comments by folks.

*cough KTA cough*

Aight smart @$$:tongue::D

bandera7
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
well first of all the main reason for this study is that outside of Dirk and Manu and the other few white kids that play some good minutes in the NBA, most only get like 2 or 3 minutes a game. How are you supposed to pick up fouls as much as the 35 minute player if you only play 2 or 3 minutes a game?

smustangs
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM

thats what i was thinking

carter08
05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I think I need to make a speech about the negative effects of racism

Ingleside Fan
05-02-2007, 06:09 PM
You have got to be kidding me! Someone wasted time and money to study this. We should focus on a little more important things than who the referee makes a call on. This study really takes the cake. American is really going to pot!

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by KTA

Aight smart @$$:tongue::D

Heehee!!!:D :D