PDA

View Full Version : I think this is it (kayak)

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I think I've found the one I want...

http://www.clavey.com/images/products/ky_ws_tarpon_120_top_lg.jpg

http://www.clavey.com/images/products/ky_ws_tarpon_120_side_lg.jpg

it's a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120... I've seen good reviews for the water I'll be paddlin' in...

the kayak alone will set me back about $700... not includin' my paddle/transportation racks etc...

gunna keep my eyes peeled for better deal, but this one seems right...

be afraid fish... be very afraid...

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

be afraid fish... be very afraid...

okay, not really... I'll just stringer you up until we get back to the launch so I can take pics... then you can go?

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Gobbla...you really should call Dean and Jennifer. I think they are "official" Wilderness Systems dealers/representatives. I don't know if they could get you a better price, but it never hurts to ask (heck, I will even call them for you, if you want me to).

I want my own kayak so bad, but it never seems to fit in my budget.:( The picture you posted is like the one I rent/borrow from Slow Ride, only I get the double seater. Being a "small" person, I am a bit concerned over whether or not I could lift one to the top of my Explorer...guess I won't know until I try.:nerd:

You are going to love it...be afraid fish, be very afraid!:D

Gobbla2001
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
give 'em a call since you know 'em better... I might want an '06 instead of a '07 because they're maybe 100 bucks cheaper (and I see no difference as long as the '06 is still new), and I'm gunna need that 100 bucks for everything that goes along with yakin' (PDF, Rod-holders, rack system for my car)... maybe they have like package deals or something...

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I just left Jennifer a message to give me a call back on their answering machine. I'll check on both the '06 and '07, package deals etc...:)

Gobbla2001
05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I just left Jennifer a message to give me a call back on their answering machine. I'll check on both the '06 and '07, package deals etc...:)

you are very very awesome AP :D

thank you

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 10:51 AM
you are very very awesome AP :D

I know, I know...isn't it great? :D

jk...what would be great though is if you could save a few dollars for bait.

Gobbla2001
05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
saving dollars would be awesome

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Okay, I just talked to Dean. They don't carry new kayaks for sale (inventory) in their shop.

He suggested calling these two places...SeaWorthy Marine Rockport (361-727-9100).....JerryB's Kayak Sales in Corpus (361-937-5340).

He has nine wilderness kayaks ordered and is waiting for them to come in. When they do, he said he could part with a used (2 yr old) Tarpon 120 for $400-500 which is already rigged out for fishing. He also sells used paddles. His order is scheduled to ship by May 30th, but he said they are never on time unfortunately.

He said the main difference between the 06 and 07 models is that the '07 has the seat cushion built in along with the seat back that folds up and down. He said it offers more back support/comfort. He suggested staying away from any boats that are blue, tan or green as you are not as visible in the water.

He did check his book on the '07 T120 and said that suggested retail is $750.00 (so you will know how good of a deal you are getting when you talk to these folks). Rod holders will probably run you about $20.00 each and $70-$100 for a paddle (they can go up to $300-$400 for the serious enthusiast).

Interesting thing, he said that these kayaks hold their value very well. He typically cycles his inventory in November and has a waiting list. He said he could put a for sale sign on one in front of his business and it would be gone in 2 hours.

Wish I had better news, but information is information. Dean said you could give him a call if you had any questions.

He also said it is absolutely normal for those guys on texaskayakfisherman to give him a hard time. :D

Gobbla2001
05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
thanks bunches AP... 400-500 for a 2 year old used? rigged out? that's a deal if it's rigged out since I know these are serious fishermen...

thanks again...

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM
thanks bunches AP... 400-500 for a 2 year old used? rigged out? that's a deal if it's rigged out since I know these are serious fishermen...

thanks again...

That's what I was thinking too and you are most welcome.

Good luck and I hope you post some pics of it and the victims (I mean fish) once you get going.:D