PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Houston

injuredinmelee
05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Rules of Houston, H-Town, 3-rd Coast, Bayou City, The Dirty 3rd, or whatever
you wanna call it.

1. You must learn to pronounce the city name. It is "Hue-stun," not
"Ewe-stun", or "house-tun" Oh yea, it is pronounced "San Phil-ee-pay," not"San Phil-eep" (San Felipe). Enunciate, you idiots!

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Houston has its own version of traffic rules...Hold on and pray. There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Houston. We all drive like that.

3. All directions start with, "Go down to Loop 610".... which has no beginning and no end.

4. The Chamber of Commerce calls getting through traffic... a "Scenic Drive."

5. The morning rush hour is from 6:00AM to 10:00AM. The evening rush hour is from 3:00PM to 7:00PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

6. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot. When you are the first one off the starting line, count to five when the light turns green before going, to avoid getting into any cross-traffic's way.

7. Kuykendahl Road can ONLY be pronounced by a native Houstonian.

8. Construction on I-10, I-45, US 59 and Loop 610 is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment.

9. All unexplained smells are explained by the phrases, "Oh, we must be in Pasadena!" or "God, I hate Baytown!" or "Mmm, smell that Texas City!"

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect.

11. All old ladies with blue hair in a pink Cadillac have total
right-of-way.

12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. In turn, the minimum speed on Westheimer is at least 45mph...

13. The wrought iron on windows in east Houston is NOT ornamental.

14. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says, "Keep honking, I'm reloading." In fact, don't honk at anyone.

15. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 mph in a 60 mph zone, people are not waving when they go by.

16. The Sam Houston Toll road is our daily version of NASCAR.

17. If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next weekend.

18. When in doubt, remember that all unmarked exits lead to Louisiana.

22. If you live in Katy and I live on the south side of Houston we'll never hang out.

23. The best thing about being drunk between 2-5 am is Whataburger!!!YMM will serve both breakfast and normal menus.

24. You are always able to be pulled over by any police vehicle, even if you were just given a ticket.

25. You don't have to wait for an exit to get off a freeway, just follow the ruts in the grass to the feeder like everyone else. This is how Houston residents notify Texas Department of Transportation where exits should have been built.

26. Else-where, they are called frontage roads... Here in Houston, they are called FEEDER roads, so dont look stupid when we say "Exit the feeder road and use the loop-d-loop"

If you dont live here, most of this will sound utterly insane, but to all of us who call this home..nothing but the truth. and you know it!!! If you are a true Houstonion, repost this

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Ol Stankadena

injuredinmelee
05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
It always smells like rotten vegetables in east Houston. I cant figure out what it is but it just kills me. When i lived in the ghetto there i couldnt open my windows to let fresh air in because there was no such thing and the crime wasnt conducive to such an act.

Emerson1
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I can pronounce Kuykendahl

injuredinmelee
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I can pronounce Kuykendahl

me too because my brother used to live off of it... lol

awizzy
05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
i dont think the traffic is ever that bad...i mean it has moments but i say austin is worse

Centextrash
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Houston has more cars....but Austin Traffic SUCKS...

It has improved with the Toll Roads. The main problem here is all the Lance Armstrong wanna be's that think they own the road.

bandera7
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Houston has more cars....but Austin Traffic SUCKS...

It has improved with the Toll Roads. The main problem here is all the Lance Armstrong wanna be's that think they own the road.

that always bothers me so much...I hate it when bikers think they own the road. The road was made for cars, not bikes. Get out of the way.

bhtrainer
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
i live east of baytown and i HATE goin to houston with a passion...i hate city folks...they annoy the crap out of me with there little volkswagons and crap

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Texas (EDITED...that's a NO NO ) that's where I'm from.
W.Little YORK Acres Holmes 44
I love the traffic and the smells
YOu hit that shat right on the Head
HOuston will alwayz B Home
I shop for clothes there so I won't be dress like a 100 people @ work, And When people ask,"Where did you get those shoes, shirts, suit, and such, I say Martin Luther King Flea MARKET:D

3afan
05-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
EDITED...that's a NO NO

:rolleyes:

Maroon87
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
No. 10 is so true it's scary.

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
:rolleyes:
Lyrics from a song buy UGK PIMP C Telling the World Texas is where he's from..............STOP DRY SNITCHING!:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Lyrics from a song buy UGK PIMP C Telling the World Texas is where he's from..............STOP DRY SNITCHING!:rolleyes:

I edited it....it's against "the rules"...sorry!!

Fotbol
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I edited it....it's against "the rules"...sorry!! I hope the Don Imus lynch mob doesn't come after me for making that remark, I don't think Al Sharpton's perm will hold up in the Texas Heat:D

venomous tat2
05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Texas (EDITED...that's a NO NO ) that's where I'm from.
W.Little YORK Acres Holmes 44
I love the traffic and the smells
YOu hit that shat right on the Head
HOuston will alwayz B Home
I shop for clothes there so I won't be dress like a 100 people @ work, And When people ask,"Where did you get those shoes, shirts, suit, and such, I say Martin Luther King Flea MARKET:D

Right on the money my brother, I went to school with your uncles
the twins and joe in as we call it 5th ward texas it will always be home. I'm about to get another tat that says H- Town 5thward texas :clap:

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Those are all sooo true! It forgot to mention the one about people on "Feeder" roads DO NOT yield to people exiting the freeway.:mad: I got the one finger waive last time over that one.

Only thing I know is the next time I have to drive in Houston, I am going to have to wear a blue wig and borrow a pink cadillac.;)

pirate4state
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I can pronounce Kuykendahl me too I actually love saying it

AP Panther Fan
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
me too I actually love saying it

I went to school with a guy named Clay Kuykendahl....not sure if I ever said his name right though. Give it to me phonetically.

pirate4state
05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I went to school with a guy named Clay Kuykendahl....not sure if I ever said his name right though. Give it to me phonetically. you want me to call you? :D

Bearkat
05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I went to school with a guy named Clay Kuykendahl....not sure if I ever said his name right though. Give it to me phonetically.

I think it's KIRK-IN-DOLL.

Maroon87
05-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat

That's like Refugio being pronounced re-FURY-o.;)

venomous tat2
05-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat

You got it right:clap: :clap: :clap: