PDA

View Full Version : UNT's Johnny Quinn signs with Bills

Keith7
05-01-2007, 06:01 PM
By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Johnny Quinn

Johnny Quinn didn’t have to wait long to find out where he would continue his football career following the NFL draft on Sunday.

About 10 minutes had passed since the final player was selected when the former North Texas wide receiver and special teams ace heard from his agent, who had already received a contract offer from the Buffalo Bills.

Quinn quickly accepted a two-year deal with a $3,000 signing bonus. He is expected to sign the deal when it arrives in Denton today.

Quinn will report to camp in the second week of May.

“I can’t wait,” Quinn said. “I am still in awe. It’s been a life-long dream. I am going to get a chance to play at the highest level of football. I plan to carry the Mean Green flag high.”

Quinn signed with Stinson Sports of Stinson Morrison Hecker after he completed his career at UNT. The agency evaluated the rosters of each team in the NFL in addition to players each team selected in the draft before targeting Buffalo.

The Bills did not take a wide receiver in the draft.

“We grade them A through F and revise them as we go along,” said Bob Lattinville, one of the agents who helped represent Quinn. “The Bills had the best opportunity because of their situation with wide receivers and the emphasis they put on special teams.”

Quinn (6-0, 202) returned kickoffs and punts, held for field goals and extra points and even played on the Mean Green’s coverage teams at different points in his career.

“The Bills want me to play on special teams,” Quinn said. “That is something I am looking forward to. Special teams are a huge part of the game. The coaches didn’t get in the specifics of where they want me to play on special teams, but I will play wherever they can find that I can help.”

Quinn said Buffalo has been among the teams that showed the most interest in signing him since the beginning of his senior season.

Lattinville has a history of sending players to the Bills. Josh Stamer, who is entering his fifth year with Buffalo, made the team as an undrafted free agent out of South Dakota and has spent most of his career with the Bills as a special teams player after signing with Stinson Sports.

Lattinville said he believes Quinn has the ability to return kicks in the NFL.

The Bills have six receivers on their roster, including Lee Evans. The former Wisconsin standout led Buffalo last season with 1,292 receiving yards, but no other player on the roster had more than 410 receiving yards.

Buffalo also has receiver Daunta Peterson allocated to NFL Europe and Chris Denney on injured reserve.

“I have seen who they have on their roster and they have some great guys,” Quinn said. “I am excited to get around NFL players and study them to see what I need to do to be successful.”

Quinn finished his career as UNT’s all-time leader in receptions (187) and receiving yards (2,728), despite playing in a run-first offense that produced two national rushing champions during his four seasons.

Quinn’s draft stock was hurt by a dislocated tendon in his ankle that required surgery after his senior season at UNT. The injury prevented Quinn from running out until late in the draft process, when he worked out at several pro days.

Quinn posted his best 40-yard dash time at UT-Arlington at 4.44 seconds.

Several NFL analysts and scouts said earlier this year that Quinn has a good chance to continue his career on the pro level, including Gil Brandt, the Cowboys former president for player personnel who is now an analyst at NFL.com.

Quinn is trying to follow the path several former UNT players took into the NFL. Pro Bowl offensive lineman Brian Waters of the Kansas City Chiefs, Jets linebacker Brad Kassell and Miami Dolphins running back Patrick Cobbs are all playing in the NFL despite not being drafted.

While Quinn is leaving his immediate family and former teammates behind in Texas, he will have a support system nearby. Quinn’s extended family lives in Pennsylvania.

Several of those family members could make the short trip to New York to see Quinn play in the preseason if he can make it through mini camps, into training camp and eventually on the field.

The journey can be tough for an undrafted free agent, but it is one Quinn said he is ready to take on.

“All you can ask for is an opportunity,” Quinn said. “I am healthy and ready to compete.”

Briefly …

UNT officials said there is a possibility former Mean Green offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry will be invited to work out with at least one NFL team. A tryout could lead to an invitation to mini camp.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .