PDA

View Full Version : Guns legal in public schools

CenTexSports
05-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Gov Perry has suggested that concealed handguns be made legal in public schools (amoung other places). Is this a good idea or is it just opening a potential problem. Is Texas in 2007 going to turn into Bagdad?

zeus63
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
TX would not be the first to propose something of this nature. I'm not too usre how I feel about it other than it would be a very big deterrent to anyone walking in to a building with mal-intent.

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
for students to carry or faculty?

JasperDog94
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
for students to carry or faculty? I think faculty should at least be allowed to carry stun guns.

"What's that little Johnny? No homework again? Step into my office.":eek: :D :D

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I agreee, faculty should be able to carry something...

but if a faculty member guns down a student who is in the act of being Rambo you can expect some "This teacher had it out for my child" stuff from parents...

oh well, less innocent children dead...

BTEXDAD
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Gov Perry has suggested that concealed handguns be made legal in public schools (amoung other places). Is this a good idea or is it just opening a potential problem. Is Texas in 2007 going to turn into Bagdad?

Legal if you have a concealed handgun PERMIT, which requires additional background check and training.
If someone at VT had legal concealed handgun and shot the Korean guy and reduced the number of fatalities would that have been a good thing?

CenTexSports
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Anyone that has a concealed gun permit.

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
how old must you be to get the permit?

21?

18???

mustang04
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Anyone that has a concealed gun permit.

i'm getting mine this summer haha, but i know that doesn't help with the question at hand:D

mustang04
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM
how old must you be to get the permit?

21?

18???

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think faculty should at least be allowed to carry stun guns.

"What's that little Johnny? No homework again? Step into my office.":eek: :D :D

LOL.

While I don't think I would be against this I just think it is gonna open up a huge can of worms. :thinking:

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
so that wouldn't include students then... just faculty...

good

Fotbol
05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone that has a concealed gun permit. I have a Concealed handgun Permit, the law states that you can have it on school grounds in the car while dropping kids off or picking kids up, but to allow teacher to have it in th classrooms, and at school funciton would be great.

Fotbol
05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
so that wouldn't include students then... just faculty...

good You would have to be 21 and have a very extensive background check.

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think faculty should at least be allowed to carry stun guns.

"What's that little Johnny? No homework again? Step into my office.":eek: :D :D I agree except for the homework part! :D

Or at least have one stun gun in a designated teachers room per hallway. Both princicples should have one and so should the counselors.

Jason1725
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Who cares what can of worms it opens, it's a great idea. I am sure some yankee will say something but who cares, we are Texans it doesn't matter what they say.

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
but knowing this law, it'd be safe to say a kid's first target would be the faculty just incase they were packin'... or a kid could jack the gun from a faculty member...

but whatever betters the innocent's chances is great...

Fotbol
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
i'm getting mine this summer haha, but i know that doesn't help with the question at hand:D Make sure you qualilfied with a semi-Automatic, because if you qual with a revolver, your permit will only allow you to carry a revolver, but with the qual of a semi-Automatic you permit will allow you to carry both,and it will have SA on the permit also.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
A 30 Cal Maching gun should be set up in every hall way

3 Snipers on the roof

That should take care of it :D

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:45 AM
mine has BZ on it... for bazooka :devil:

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
A 30 Cal Maching gun should be set up in every hall way

3 Snipers on the roof

That should take care of it :D

hell yah... and when the student decides to pull out his weapon, he must capture the school's flag first...

Mr. COD ha

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:47 AM
or the student must establish headquarters for 300 seconds...

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
Who cares what can of worms it opens, it's a great idea. I am sure some yankee will say something but who cares, we are Texans it doesn't matter what they say. Can of worms = MORE frivilous lawsuits

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Can of worms = MORE frivilous lawsuits

how 'bout a frivilous bullet in yur child's ass for being a crazy freak?

fireman1
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
for students to carry or faculty?

well since you have to be 21 inorder to get a concealed handgun license i think its the faculty or at a college but that would mean that the college would have to be a public college

CenTexSports
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I would rather see a screening process at every entrance. If the scanner detected a gun, the person is automatically zapped with a phaser set on kill.

Speaking as a sports official, I plan to retire from officiating if this law is passed. There are too many crazy parents out there to let half of them be in the stands and standing along the fence packing a gun.

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Speaking as a sports official, I plan to retire from officiating if this law is passed. There are too many crazy parents out there to let half of them be in the stands and standing along the fence packing a gun.

that is a very interesting thought :thinking:

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
how 'bout a frivilous bullet in yur child's ass for being a crazy freak? i don't have a kid

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
i don't have a kid

NOT you, the parents of the children...

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
hell yah... and when the student decides to pull out his weapon, he must capture the school's flag first...

Mr. COD ha

HAHAHA U know it...And in Team Battle the student has to wait 15 seconds to respawn

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
NOT you, the parents of the children... I think we should shoot the parents that file frivilous lawsuits

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
HAHAHA U know it...And in Team Battle the student has to wait 15 seconds to respawn

ha, yah, and he cannot communicate with his teammates via headset until respawned... and he must be respawned in the line of fire like I was 50 times last night...

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I think we should shoot the parents that file frivilous lawsuits

I think we should shoot the moon and play some dominos...

whtfbplaya
05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I would rather see a screening process at every entrance. If the scanner detected a gun, the person is automatically zapped with a phaser set on kill.

I would not worry about it, I am a sports official and would like for it to pass. IMO there is more of a chance for someone legally with a gun of saving your life than a nut shooting you.

whtfbplaya
05-01-2007, 11:17 AM
The average male Texan who is 21 years or older is 13.7 times more likely to be arrested for the violent crimes of murder, rape, robbery, and assault than the average male CHL holder.

No male Texas CHL holder was arrested for negligent manslaughter during the 1996 through 2001 period.

The average male Texan who is 21 years or older is 18 times more likely to be arrested for committing a non-violent crime than the average male CHL holder.

BTEXDAD
05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Make sure you qualilfied with a semi-Automatic, because if you qual with a revolver, your permit will only allow you to carry a revolver, but with the qual of a semi-Automatic you permit will allow you to carry both,and it will have SA on the permit also.

good point. I made that mistake.

Keith7
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
there doesn't need to be guns in any public schools, thats just rediculous.. gun lovers are taking this toooooooo far

whtfbplaya
05-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
there doesn't need to be guns in any public schools, thats just rediculous.. gun lovers are taking this toooooooo far

whtfbplaya
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Shot 249/250 yesterday. on the chl target, Only 12 of the 50 shots are not touching another hole.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM

Tell that to Columbine..Or VA Tech...I just cant understand how people think that it is safer now when a person can walk into a school and blast away, but the law does not allow the innocent to protect themselves

CenTexSports
05-01-2007, 01:23 PM
The average male Texan who is 21 years or older is 13.7 times more likely to be arrested for the violent crimes of murder, rape, robbery, and assault than the average male CHL holder.

What about all the crazy football moms? I bet they are 29 times more likely to shoot than the average chl Texas male.

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2007, 01:30 PM

What about all the crazy football moms? I bet they are 29 times more likely to shoot than the average chl Texas male.
Heyyyyy!!! Who needs a gun? I carry a whopper of a cowbell that might be considered a lethal weapon in 12 of the continental states. (Ask rundoe........) :devil: :devil:

whtfbplaya
05-01-2007, 01:42 PM

At last check women make up about 15-18% of Texas CHL's

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
can't we all just go fishing?

Fotbol
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Shot 249/250 yesterday. on the chl target, Only 12 of the 50 shots are not touching another hole. Would love to go to the range with ya, I shoot a mean Gloc myself.
!

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Would love to go to the range with ya, I shoot a mean Gloc myself.
!

yah... then line up back to back... each take 10 steps, then turn around and face each other at high-noon...

we could sell tickets...

Keith7
05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
who gets to carry the guns?? teachers?

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:01 PM
who gets to carry the guns?? teachers?

you must be 21 to have a license for the handgun, so I'm pretty sure just faculty... not a buncha kids walking around with guns, no...

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
you must be 21 to have a license for the handgun, so I'm pretty sure just faculty... not a buncha kids walking around with guns, no...

what if kids get a hold of the guns though??

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
what if kids get a hold of the guns though??

yah, I brought that point up earlier...

I don't think you're gunna have a case where a teacher is gunna walk around with it in a holster... maybe in their desk or in their bag just incase crazy-bullied-kid wants to pop caps in asses...

but what if a kid starts poppin' caps in asses? how many asses will that one teacher save if he puts an end to it?

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
yah, I brought that point up earlier...

I don't think you're gunna have a case where a teacher is gunna walk around with it in a holster... maybe in their desk or in their bag just incase crazy-bullied-kid wants to pop caps in asses...

but what if a kid starts poppin' caps in asses? how many asses will that one teacher save if he puts an end to it?

plus you are asking teachers to shoot the kid?? there is just something not right about that..

if teachers had guns that would make parent-teacher conferences alot more interesting though

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
plus you are asking teachers to shoot the kid?? there is just something not right about that..

yah, that's true, we should have the teacher hand it to a 6th grader so they can do the shooting... either that or just let the bad guy keep shooting... great point...

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
yah, that's true, we should have the teacher hand it to a 6th grader so they can do the shooting... either that or just let the bad guy keep shooting... great point...

if he never had a gun to steal in the first place he wouldn't be able to shooting

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
if he never had a gun to steal in the first place he wouldn't be able to shooting

So the fact he should never have had it means innocent people should just suffer when someone does get one "they should not have"

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:21 PM

you just spun 180 degress with that dawg haha...

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
So the fact he should never have had it means innocent people should just suffer when someone does get one "they should not have"

I don't mean to be insensitive, but if teachers had guns and a student brought a gun to class, wouldn't the first person he shot be their teacher?? then he has two guns...

plus most of hte teachers I had growing up were 50-60 year old women, not exactly "the terminators"

thatsminty
05-01-2007, 03:26 PM

lolz @ 21

I didn't know that students were still allowed to attend high school until they were 21

I honestly think if a student can't graduate at the age of 18 then they should just give it up..there's no use to still riding the school bus while drinkin' your bottle of Jack because "momma wants me to graduate"

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't have a problem with it. Getting a concealed handgun liscense isn't that easy if you have any criminal record and if you have one and are convicted of certain offenses like DWI your sentance can be much worse. Anyhow thats off subject, we have a right to bear arms in this country and someone who is responsible enough to carry a gun around should be able to. Most people who aren't responsible enough to carry gun probably already are.

Txbroadcaster
I don't mean to be insensitive, but if teachers had guns and a student brought a gun to class, wouldn't the first person he shot be their teacher?? then he has two guns...

plus most of hte teachers I had growing up were 50-60 year old women, not exactly "the terminators"

So instead of giving teachers/admin a chance..you will use on scenario to make the case agianst protection

I have one

Little Johnny comes in and shoots a student...Teacher then shoots Little Johnny...Instead of 10 or more dead..only 2

Gobbla2001

I brought that up already as well... but what if he doesn't?

and it's not like he'll know which teacher has a weapon or not, or even how to get it if they do...

you bring up good points, but I'd feel very comfortable with the thought that my child was going to a school where there was a CHANCE to react before things went too far...

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I think I'd feel just as fine with metal detectors at the door..l

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Little Johnny comes in and shoots a student...Teacher then shoots Little Johnny...Instead of 10 or more dead..only 2

good luck :(

wish a mod would close this thread before I get any stu-stu-stu-stupider for reading it...

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM

yah, those would be cool, but what good does a metal detector do if there is no gun to enforce the detector's results?

thatsminty
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
good luck :(

wish a mod would close this thread before I get any stu-stu-stu-stupider for reading it...

hahhahaha as if that alone is possible.

carter08
05-01-2007, 03:33 PM

All entrances to the school with campus security at each one

It would not be cost effective, but it would be SAFE

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Hire a couple of trained armed security gaurds or offduty policemen to gaurd monitor the metal detectors..

Gobbla2001
yah, those would be cool, but what good does a metal detector do if there is no gun to enforce the detector's results?

basically what I'm saying is what good will it do if there's just someone there with a wand wanting to check your bags? you open your bag and blow their face in... you're in the school...

Txbroadcaster

So u will have a dectector at EVERY door, window or anywhere that someone can reach out and get guns form someone on the outside

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Hire a couple of trained armed security gaurds or offduty policemen to gaurd monitor the metal detectors..

takes more than that... sounds simple enough... but it's not...

thatsminty
05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
it's sad that an institution for education must result down to being related to a prison.

Keith7
05-01-2007, 03:37 PM
So u will have a dectector at EVERY door, window or anywhere that someone can reach out and get guns form someone on the outside

just have one or two entrances, if you are a bigger school you can prolly afford to have metal detectors and every entrance so in those places that would work.. and teachers are supposed to monitor their class at all time, don't you think they would notice someone trying to get a gun from someone out the window?? I think you are going alittle overboard now

Curly
05-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I really didn't want to get into this debate but -- here goes
Something for folks to think about on this issue...

By Dave Kopel
Like many states, Utah enacted a concealed-handgun licensing law in 1995. Unlike most states, Utah did not make schools an exclusion zone for lawful carrying. Not only a teacher on duty, but also a parent coming to pick up a child from school, can lawfully carry a concealed handgun in a Utah school building — after, of course, passing a background check and safety training. (See Utah Code sect. 76-10-505.5. In 2003, the legislature expanded the law, by allowing principals to authorize firearms possession by individuals who did not have a concealed-handgun carry permit.)

After eleven years of experience in Utah, we now have exactly zero reported problems of concealed handgun licensees misusing guns at school, or students stealing guns from teachers, or teachers using their licensed firearms to shoot or threaten students. During this same period, we also have had exactly zero mass murders in Utah schools.

My proposal, however, is not that other states go as far as Utah. Rather, I simply suggest that teachers and other school employees be allowed to carry if they obtain a handgun carry permit. If a school wants to require special additional training for school carry, that’s fine.

Some people who do not like the idea of teachers being armed to protect students simply get indignant, or declare that armed teachers are inconsistent with a learning environment. I suggest that dead students — and the traumatic aftermath of a school attack — are far more inconsistent with a learning environment than is a math teacher having a concealed handgun.

“Teachers don’t want to carry guns!” some people exclaim. True enough, for most teachers. But there are about six million teachers in the United States, and it would be foolish to make claims about what every teacher thinks. The one thing that almost all teachers have in common is that they have passed a fingerprint-based background check, meaning that they are significantly less likely than the general population to have a criminal history.

There are plenty of teachers who have served in the military, or the police, or who have otherwise acquired familiarity with firearms. And there will be other teachers who would willingly undergo the training necessary to learn how to use a firearm to protect themselves and their students. After all, almost all the teachers in southern Thailand are Buddhists, and if some Buddhist teachers will choose to carry handguns, it would be ridiculous to claim that American teachers, as a universal category, would never exercise the choice to carry.

We know that school shootings have been stopped by armed citizens with guns. In 1997, a Mississippi attack was thwarted after vice principal Joel Myrick retrieved a handgun from his trunk. The killer had already shot several people at Pearl High School, and was leaving that school to attack Pearl Junior High, when Myrick pointed his .45 pistol at the killer’s head and apprehended him. A few days later, an armed adult stopped a school rampage in Edinboro, Pennsylvania.

It is commonly, but incorrectly, believed that the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act creates an insurmountable barrier to arming teachers. Not so. The GFSZA has a specific exemption for persons who have a concealed handgun carry permit from the state where the school is located, if the state requires a background check before issuance of a permit.

It is state laws, not the federal GFSZ Act, which are in need of reform to allow schools to be protected.

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
two security guards at the door...

Columbine had more than one shooter...

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
just have one or two entrances, if you are a bigger school you can prolly afford to have metal detectors and every entrance so in those places that would work.. and teachers are supposed to monitor their class at all time, don't you think they would notice someone trying to get a gun from someone out the window?? I think you are going alittle overboard now

Not every class is full and with a teacher..Teachers go to lunch, have conferences switch out classrooms all day

It is not overboard..it has happened before..luckily it was just a kid who was trying to be cool and nothing happened

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
and teachers are supposed to monitor their class at all time, don't you think they would notice someone trying to get a gun from someone out the window?? I think you are going alittle overboard now

well yah they'd notice it, and then throw a piece of chalk at 'em when the gun is in there?

are you really that shallow?

thatsminty
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
two security guards at the door...

Columbine had more than one shooter...

columbine had a year to prevent what happened...

can't blame the two guys who boldly told everyone who they would shoot when where what time and all that nonsense...

it was right there.
like the elephant syndrome.

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not saying it'll work every time, but as long as the innocent have a CHANCE, that's what I'm concerned about...

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by thatsminty
columbine had a year to prevent what happened...

can't blame the two guys who boldly told everyone who they would shoot when where what time and all that nonsense...

it was right there.
like the elephant syndrome.

that's a whole other point not related to this... the fact is there were two... that's all that needed to be addressed

thatsminty
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm not saying it'll work every time, but as long as the innocent have a CHANCE, that's what I'm concerned about...

yeah,'tis sad

Curly
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
"Somewhere along the line I made one of my stupidest decisions... I was afraid that ... if ... somebody caught me with the gun in my purse, I could lose my license to practice, lose my ability to make a living. So I took the gun out of my purse and I left it in my car ... which the laws in my state are kinda wishy- washy on ...and I thought, 'Heck, if I needed it, it's probably going to be when I'm out on the road ... in the middle of nowhere and, you know, my car's broke down or something." --Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp, Killeen Texas Luby's massacre survivor**

Ranger Mom
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Some of you who are so dead set against this.......I would like to talk to you after you have kids of your own!!

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
it's understandable to be weary about this, I know that... like CenTex had a great point, it was educational then... now it's just gettin' deep and I'm havin' to cover my nose...

Emerson1
05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Forney has 2 SROs on campus at all times They are packing with a gun and a tazer gun. School's should just do that.