PDA

View Full Version : Baron Davis Hat

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/475097416_4877bae7a5.jpg

I think this shouldn't even be an issue. Odds are it is just shells and the media is just trying to start something. Skip Bayless said he deserves a 6 figure fine for wearing the hat! That is absurd!

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
While it seems harmless..NBA is a Biz with an image it is trying to change, and that hat does not help the image

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While it seems harmless..NBA is a Biz with an image it is trying to change, and that hat does not help the image It's not like he's wearing it on the court. It was walking out of the locker room. Do you honestly think he deserves a fine for wearing a hat? That would be more rediculous than the Urlacher fine. At least there was a rule in place for that hat though.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
It's not like he's wearing it on the court. It was walking out of the locker room. Do you honestly think he deserves a fine for wearing a hat? That would be more rediculous than the Urlacher fine. At least there was a rule in place for that hat though.

Again...The NBA is trying to change its image of bring a thug league...This hat does not help. Walking out of the locker room is still in the workplace and especially with TV crews there.

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Do you honestly think he deserves a fine for wearing a hat?
Yes.....didn't the NBA set new rules regarding acceptable attire last year? 6 figures might be a bit much, but rules are rules. And shells or not, that doesn't portray a good image.

JasperDog94
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yes.....didn't the NBA set new rules regarding acceptable attire last year? 6 figures might be a bit much, but rules are rules. And shells or not, that doesn't portray a good image. :thumbsup: Agreed.

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Again...The NBA is trying to change its image of bring a thug league...This hat does not help. Walking out of the locker room is still in the workplace and especially with TV crews there. I would be more concerned with the fights that occur than what a player wears. Lets be realistic here the only reason it is considered a "thug" league is because it is predominantly black. The use of the word "thug" is over used now days anyway.

thug /èʌg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thuhg] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun 1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I would be more concerned with the fights that occur than what a player wears. Lets be realistic here the only reason it is considered a "thug" league is because it is predominantly black. The use of the word "thug" is over used now days anyway.

thug /èʌg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thuhg] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.
You continue to throw race into it. Who gives a rat's behind what color someone's skin is? I don't care if someone has green polka dotted purple skin - the fact that someone is wearing gun shells on their hat doesn't reflect the image the NBA wants to be seen.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I would be more concerned with the fights that occur than what a player wears. Lets be realistic here the only reason it is considered a "thug" league is because it is predominantly black. The use of the word "thug" is over used now days anyway.

What someone wears as a respresentitive of a company can be at times just as important as their action in a world where impressions mean so much.

If apperance was not so important, then why dress up for job interviews? If your creds were good enough you should be able to walk in wearing anything and let your resume speask for itself, but sadly apperance means as much

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:25 AM
You continue to throw race into it. Who gives a rat's behind what color someone's skin is? I don't care if someone has green polka dotted purple skin - the fact that someone is wearing gun shells on their hat doesn't reflect the image the NBA wants to be seen. Race has everything to do with it. This stat that I am about to give you doesn't have to do with NBA but it has to do with race.

Black people are 10% more likely to be searched by police when pulled over. Mexicans are 9% more likely to be searched by police. White people are only 4% more likely to be searched by the police!

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Race has everything to do with it. This stat that I am about to give you doesn't have to do with NBA but it has to do with race.

Black people are 10% more likely to be searched by police when pulled over. Mexicans are 9% more likely to be searched by police. White people are only 4% more likely to be searched by the police! WHO CARES?????? We're not talking about the police. We are talking about a rule set by his employer regarding acceptable dress code.

JasperDog94
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Race has everything to do with it. This stat that I am about to give you doesn't have to do with NBA but it has to do with race.

Black people are 10% more likely to be searched by police when pulled over. Mexicans are 9% more likely to be searched by police. White people are only 4% more likely to be searched by the police! 10% more likely that who?

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
10% more likely that who? I don't know I just saw it on Fox News one night.

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
WHO CARES?????? We're not talking about the police. We are talking about a rule set by his employer regarding acceptable dress code. I'm sure there is a rule that says "you cannot wear any article of clothing with bullets on it.":rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm sure there is a rule that says "you cannot wear any article of clothing with bullets on it.":rolleyes:

There is a rule in the NBA that your apperance must be respectable and not shed a negative image on the NBA..That sheds a negavtive image

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
There is a rule in the NBA that your apperance must be respectable and not shed a negative image on the NBA..That sheds a negavtive image How does wearing that hat have a negative image? If it wasn't pointed out by the media would we even be having this discussion?

JasperDog94
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
There is a rule in the NBA that your apperance must be respectable and not shed a negative image on the NBA..That sheds a negavtive image Exactly. Just as if a white guy were to wear a confederate flag bandana or someone from Germany wearing a swastika.

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm sure there is a rule that says "you cannot wear any article of clothing with bullets on it.":rolleyes: You shouldn't need a rule to guide you. This is where common sense or just GOOD sense comes in to play. Something you are both lacking it seems! :doh:

Maroon87
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM
How does wearing that hat have a negative image? If it wasn't pointed out by the media would we even be having this discussion?

I'm sure if you hadn't pointed it out most of us would've never known about it.

Txbroadcaster
How does wearing that hat have a negative image? If it wasn't pointed out by the media would we even be having this discussion?

Tiger..please tell me you not this naive..What does bullets represent? What does the image of that representation create?

Then add events like the VA Tech incident and bullets on a hat is a bad image and honestly plain stupid

Old Tiger
Originally posted by pirate4state
You shouldn't need a rule to guide you. This is where common sense or just GOOD sense comes in to play. Something you are both lacking it seems! :doh: It's not like he's promoting people to purchase guns or anything. He's just wearing a hat that has shells on it. It is a fashion thing. IMO that hat is pretty gnarly.

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:36 AM

Then add events like the VA Tech incident and bullets on a hat is a bad image and honestly plain stupid Don't bring up those lame comparisons just because some Asian kid was a nut case. It's a part of fashion that he was pulling off.

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 10:37 AM
It's not like he's promoting people to purchase guns or anything. He's just wearing a hat that has shells on it. It is a fashion thing. IMO that hat is pretty gnarly. I never said he was. You are just talking out of your rear to get people riled up. Congrats you've done your job! :thumbsup: Now, go to class!!

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm sure if you hadn't pointed it out most of us would've never known about it. I saw it on Cold Pizza this morning and was like that is the dumbest thing I've heard.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Don't bring up those lame comparisons just because some Asian kid was a nut case. It's a part of fashion that he was pulling off.

A company wants to sink 25 Million in advertising on NBA broadcasts...Do you think THEY want someone wearing bullets on their hat to be a representation of their product?

I am not comparing the event..I am comparing the IMAGE

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Now, go to class!! I already went this morning :D

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
A company wants to sink 25 Million in advertising on NBA broadcasts...Do you think THEY want someone wearing bullets on their hat to be a representation of their product?

I am not comparing the event..I am comparing the IMAGE I'm pretty sure his hat isn't going to take away from his jersey sell's. If anything now that he has exploded this playoff his jersey sell's are up regardless of the hat or not. They are getting their revenue from that so I would imagine that could care less.

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure his hat isn't going to take away from his jersey sell's. If anything now that he has exploded this playoff his jersey sell's are up regardless of the hat or not. They are getting their revenue from that so I would imagine that could care less.

The NBA cares DEARLY about their image..It has eroded over the last 10 years and they are trying to repair it

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
The NBA cares DEARLY about their image..It has eroded over the last 10 years and they are trying to repair it IMO their image is a lot better than the MLB's image because that game is tainted and one of their most heralded records is about to be broken because of those problems they are having. At least the NBA wasn't before congress. Didn't they have a lockout in the early 90s(NBA)?

3afan
05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
It's not like he's promoting people to purchase guns or anything. He's just wearing a hat that has shells on it. It is a fashion thing. IMO that hat is pretty gnarly.

gnarl·y /Pronunciation[nahr-lee] Pronunciation Key
–adjective, gnarl·i·er, gnarl·i·est. 1. gnarled.

Slang. distasteful; distressing; offensive; gross: a comic noted for his gnarly humor.

so the hat IS "distasteful", "distressing", "offensive", "gross"

(source: dictionary.com)

:rolleyes:

themsu97
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
that is more of a surfer term,,,

and so 80's...

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
that is more of a surfer term,,,

and so 80's... It's still a gnarly word to use ;)

Bull19
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
It's not like he's promoting people to purchase guns or anything. He's just wearing a hat that has shells on it. It is a fashion thing. IMO that hat is pretty gnarly.

agreed...his hat is freaking sweet...it looks like he is gunna go hunt with teddy roosevelt in africa.

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Tiger..please tell me you not this naive..What does bullets represent? What does the image of that representation create?

Patriotism and support for our troops

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Patriotism and support for our troops

RIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
RIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT Why can't it mean that?:confused:

txhsfball
05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Why do you post these questions and turn it into an argument.. this happens alot!

pirate4state
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by txhsfball
Why do you post these questions and turn it into an argument.. this happens alot! Refer to option #4

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Refer to option #4
:foul: :foul: I wanna change my vote. :p

Old Tiger
05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Apparently 9 other people feel the same way I do about the media so :hand: :tongue: