PDA

View Full Version : 4 members of Skyline track team suspended (merged)

kepdawg
04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
4 members of Skyline track team suspended

Move comes after girls were cited for shoplifting

07:14 PM CDT on Monday, April 30, 2007

By TAWNELL D. HOBBS, HOLLY YAN and BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

Four Skyline girls varsity track athletes have been suspended from the team for shoplifting from an outlet mall in Hillsboro while en route to the Class 5A Region II meet last weekend in Waco.

According to a Hillsboro police report, the four girls were given Class C misdemeanor citations Thursday for theft of items worth less than $50 at a Claire’s Boutique store in the Prime Outlet Mall. Skyline girls track coach Jimmy Sanders allowed the girls to compete at the meet Friday and Saturday, helping the team win its sixth consecutive regional championship.

At least two of the four girls cited qualified for the 5A state meet May 11-12 in Austin, where Skyline will attempt to add to its 5A record six state girls team championships.

Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said the district is investigating the theft allegations and reviewing the decision to let the girls participate in the regional meet. Johnson said the four girls will remain suspended at least until the investigation has been completed.

Johnson said Sanders wasn’t on Skyline’s campus Monday because he was answering questions about the incident. Sanders didn’t return phone calls requesting comment.

“We go from a high of winning something to have to deal with an unfortunate situation like this,” Johnson said. “My concern is the integrity of the program, and there are almost 30 girls on that track team, and I don’t want them to suffer because of the action of four others.”

Emerson1
04-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Thugs

pirate4state
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
wow why let them compete at Regionals? That stinks! What a place to shoplift from! :rolleyes:

44INAROW
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Idiots..........

JR2004
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Well it's Skyline...I don't feel bad at all for them. Just complete stupidity on the part of the athletes who stole stuff. I mean why in the world do you do something as idiotic as this? The school that stole Larry Johnson keeps a long-standing tradition going it seems with this incident.

18handicap
05-01-2007, 05:54 AM
If they wouldn't have let them compete, I wonder how much difference it would have made in the meet. They had 103.5 points and we (A&M Consolidated) were 2nd at 59.5. If a couple of them had qualified for the state meet, especially in the relays 400 (2), 800 (1), 1600 (1), I wonder how much that would change the results.

injuredinmelee
05-01-2007, 07:20 AM
I can almost see him letting them compete for the following reasons:

I can see him letting them compete simply because there was no way to get them home.

Adidas410s
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
4 members of Skyline track team suspended

Move comes after girls were cited for shoplifting

07:14 PM CDT on Monday, April 30, 2007
By TAWNELL D. HOBBS, HOLLY YAN and BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

Four Skyline girls varsity track athletes have been suspended from the team for shoplifting from an outlet mall in Hillsboro while en route to the Class 5A Region II meet last weekend in Waco.

According to a Hillsboro police report, the four girls were given Class C misdemeanor citations Thursday for theft of items worth less than $50 at a Claire’s Boutique store in the Prime Outlet Mall. Skyline girls track coach Jimmy Sanders allowed the girls to compete at the meet Friday and Saturday, helping the team win its sixth consecutive regional championship.

At least two of the four girls cited qualified for the 5A state meet May 11-12 in Austin, where Skyline will attempt to add to its 5A record six state girls team championships.

Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said the district is investigating the theft allegations and reviewing the decision to let the girls participate in the regional meet. Johnson said the four girls will remain suspended at least until the investigation has been completed.

Johnson said Sanders wasn’t on Skyline’s campus Monday because he was answering questions about the incident. Sanders didn’t return phone calls requesting comment.

“We go from a high of winning something to have to deal with an unfortunate situation like this,” Johnson said. “My concern is the integrity of the program, and there are almost 30 girls on that track team, and I don’t want them to suffer because of the action of four others.”

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
kep beat ya to it (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=64168)

Ranger Mom
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
kep beat ya to it (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=64168)

Gotta hate when that happens!!:p