PDA

View Full Version : Fort Stockton Track- headed to State!

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 08:48 AM
It is well-documented that the Fort Stockton boys athletics programs have struggled in the postseason.

On Saturday, the school’s boys track and field team put that to rest.

Fort Stockton captured the 1,600-meter relay, Adrian Nevarez won the 400 meters and Sam Franklin was second in the 800 meters. The Panthers had a chance to qualify in the 800 relay but pulled out to save Nevarez’s legs for the 400 meters and the 1,600 relay.

“It’s exciting,” Fort Stockton junior Desi Urias said. “I’m feeling great going into state, pretty confident.”

Fort Stockton won the event in 3 minutes, 20.52 seconds. Urias ran the first leg, Franklin put the Panthers ahead, and Jonathon Pacheco and Nevarez finished the win.

“It was a lot of pressure being the first leg,” Urias said. “We just wanted to know we are a team to be reckoned with.”

The break that Nevarez had during the running of the 800 relay worked to his advantage as he won the 400 in a time of 48.88 seconds. Still helping his teammates win the 1,600 relay was the one he cared about the most.

“We knew we were going to run good times, and it turned out to be a good time,” said Nevarez. “It still is not our best time.”

The Fort Stockton runners still think they can go faster at the state meet, especially with the better competition.

“We just got to work harder these next two weeks,” said Nevarez. “We have to stay confident. There will be better runners there that will help us improve our times. I am confident we can go under 3:20.”

Ranger Mom
04-30-2007, 08:51 AM
That was fun to watch....but I sure hated seeing Sweetwater go down like they did, especially with Cunnings running a leg in the 4X100 and 4X200 relays too!!

I was very impressed with the Stockton boys though!

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 08:54 AM
why thank you....

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Region 1- 3 minutes, 20.52 seconds

Region 2- 1 Dallas Madison 'A' 3:18.72 20

Region 3- Finals 1 Palestine Westwood HS 3:20.93

Im not sure about the others...

Ranger Mom
04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
why thank you....

Haha!! So you are taking credit??:p

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 08:57 AM
well, i do know the athletes....LOL

Just proud of them, there making this a routine... where's curly? he was running his mouth this past week about this race. That adrain navarez kid had Texas Tech calling him his sophomore year... Franklin has it in his blood, he is good.

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Other times..
1 RAYMONDVILLE 'A' 3:22.94
2.CUERO 'A' 3:24.15

Ranger Mom
04-30-2007, 09:01 AM
well, i do know the athletes....LOL

Just proud of them, there making this a routine... where's curly? he was running his mouth this past week about this race. That adrain navarez kid had Texas Tech calling him his sophomore year... Franklin has it in his blood, he is good.

Did Franklin run the second leg?? I know we were focused on that kid and that is why I missed Cunnings from Sweetwater go down.

Had Sweetwater stayed in, I think it would have been a darn close race!

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
yeah, he was the second leg... he was there last year as well, at state I believe. he also qualified in the 800.

Ranger Mom
04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
yeah, he was the second leg... he was there last year as well, at state I believe. he also qualified in the 800.

Yeah...I watched him run both days...he's good!

Funk-d-fied
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
hes been running since he could walk, i mean like his mother is a very athletic lady who runs like 5 miles everyday, he would run with her even at the age of 7-8. He has been trained for this for along time.