PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score!

The One
10-21-2003, 08:41 PM
This topic should get some HSO's.

Its seems every week we see ridicolous scores like this past week's Glen Rose/Carter Riverside game in which the score was something like 86-2. Then I pick up my local paper and read the Decaturs Head coach state he would have like to have scored at least 50 against Bridgeport. How do you guys feel about teams and coaches running up the score in games. Furthermore what about the risk of keeping your good players in games that are out of hand. This could cost you a potential title. What is the purpose? There is no High School BCS is there?

I for one am not for running up the score, these are kids. I dont think its a good thing to teach kids to do this and for sure it is doing nothing for kids on the other end of those scores.

Let me hear from you!

<small>[ October 21, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: The One ]</small>

Buckeye80
10-21-2003, 08:49 PM
There are really two sides to argue this from. Number 1 is that if you don't want it done to you, don't do it to someone else. These are kids, and there's no reason to ever humiliate them, and make them second guess playing football. Number 2 would be, how do you put a kid in there that probably never gets to play and tell him to slide down if he has a chance to score. Again these are kids, and I for one remember almost every single detail of my high school career. And trust me, as a slow white boy, if I had a chance to score, I was gonna'.

3afan
10-21-2003, 08:57 PM
IMHO i think the act of actually 'running up the score' is very, very rare. sure there are some big blowouts, but i'd bet that 99% of those cases the winning team is just so much better than the losing team it probably could not be helped. and as the previous poster stated a coach has to let his own kids - specifically 2nd & 3rd teamers in the blowout games - perfrom their best with the offense/plays they were taught, regardless of the score.

BrainDamage
10-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Our coach starts putting in 2nd and 3rd stringers in when the score gets high but he doesn't expect them to back down either. If they (the team getting runned up on) are gonna belly up and give up they are gonna get walked on for the rest of the game by 2nd and 3rd stringers and be humiliated. If you dont want to be humiliated dont give up and people will notice.

Buckeye80
10-21-2003, 09:06 PM
That's exactly right. By the way, what are the boundaries of Region IV...just curious.

bearcat1
10-21-2003, 09:37 PM
BrainDamage:
Our coach starts putting in 2nd and 3rd stringers in when the score gets high but he doesn't expect them to back down either. If they (the team getting runned up on) are gonna belly up and give up they are gonna get walked on for the rest of the game by 2nd and 3rd stringers and be humiliated. If you dont want to be humiliated dont give up and people will notice.I have to agree with BrainDamage, a kid is going to score if given the opportunity, you aren't gonna say to him "ok you can play but don't score". I've seen games where kids are playing positions they've never played before, just to keep from adding points, and STILL we scored. Not much you can do about that. Though I have seen games where our starting QB or WR are still out there when it's late in the game and we're up by 40, and wondered why they they're still in there, so I guess it happens.
bc

BigDog
10-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Sometimes it's just not your fault the other team is so bad!

The One
10-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Yeah but 86-2 doesn't that seem a little extreme. I may be off by two points it might have been 84-2. But still that really sounds extreme to me.

bearcat1
10-21-2003, 09:52 PM
The One:
Yeah but 86-2 doesn't that seem a little extreme. I may be off by two points it might have been 84-2. But still that really sounds extreme to me.That is extreme, we beat a team once 82-0. And I know for a fact we had players playing positions they've never played before or again just to keep from scoring, we were punting on 3rd down, and still it happened. I dunno.
bc

wildstangs
10-21-2003, 09:52 PM
If Decatur would have taken their starting QB out of the Iowa Park game last year when the game was in hand, he wouldnt have gotten hurt and would have led the Eagles to wins over Sweetwater, Greenwood, Daingerfield and Bandera.

Buckeye80
10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
At about 49-0, the members of the losing team make a decision. Either they get pissed off and give everything they have not to let another point on the board, or they chalk it up as a loss and punch out. If they punch out, it's only gonna' get worse.

The One
10-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Wildstangs,

That is exactley what I was talking about. Decatur is the perfect example of a team that leaves their players in with the intention to run up the score. Their coach all but admitted to it with his comments in the paper this week. I truly believe this cost Decatur their best chance for a State Championship last year. You have to protect your players!

wildstangs
10-21-2003, 10:08 PM
The One:
Wildstangs,

That is exactley what I was talking about. Decatur is the perfect example of a team that leaves their players in with the intention to run up the score. Their coach all but admitted to it with his comments in the paper this week. I truly believe this cost Decatur their best chance for a State Championship last year. You have to protect your players!I was really being sarcastic, but you got the point. It seems like once a week we still hear about how Decatur would have beat Sweetwater last year if their QB would have been healthy.

Old Dog
10-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Buckeye...Region IV would consist of districts 25 thru 32. Teams are 25:Burnet, Bandera, Wimberley, Ingram Moore, Llano, Liberty Hill; 26:Somerset, La Vernia, South SA West, Poteet, Lytle, Marion, Jourdanton; 27:Gonzales, Cuero, Yoakum, Luling, Goliad, Hallettsville; 28:Wharton, Needville, Sweeny, Edna, Palacios, Altair Rice; 29:Carrizo Springs, Pearsall, Hondo, Devine, Crystal City, Cotulla; 30:Sinton, Mathis, Ingleside, Aransas Pass, CC West Oso, Taft; 31:Zapata, Falfurrias, Orange Grove, San Diego, Bishop, Hebronville; 32:La Feria, Raymondville, Hidalgo, Port Isabel, Rio Hondo, Progreso, Lyford.

If I fouled up any, I do apologize!

Buckeye80
10-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks very much! I thought that was Region IV, I just wasn't sure.

PPHSfan
10-21-2003, 11:01 PM
I bet if something ever happens in FW and they were tp get a good team some year, that they would not stop at 100 points. I bet Whitesboro would still be throwing the deep ball if they were up on Gainesville 298 to 0 in the second quarter. :D

LH Panther Mom
10-21-2003, 11:08 PM
During a blow-out, a lot of coaches that are on the losing end, will send in their 2nd & 3rd team as well. I don't think most coaches would send in their 2nd/3rd strings and tell them not to score; they'll expect them to play their best.

Fletch
10-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Watching film of the Gainesville-Van Alstyne game last night, noticed that Gainesville, leading 35-7 and easily dominating VA, executed an on-sides kick to get the ball back.

Pure class.

Matthew328
10-22-2003, 09:00 AM
It all depends...if you are up in the 2nd half by 40 or so and your starters are stil out there scoring..thats not cool...but if your backups are scoring well..tough luck...how can you tell a 3rd string running back to not score??

Cat22
10-22-2003, 09:20 AM
We beat a team once 99-0. This was in the 70's and I was just a kid, but from what everyone says we played 2nd and 3rd teams most of the second half, but the team we were playing would either fumble the ball to us or throw an interception. You can't tell your second and third teams not to score. We were not trying to run up the score, it just happened.

RAIDER96
10-22-2003, 09:53 AM
I agree with most of you. If the the 2nd and 3rd team people are in and scoring so be it but it tears me up to see us or any other team up 35 to 6 and the starters are still out there. I say protect your starters and give the other guys some playing time. You may need them down the road and the experience will do them good. Besides the fact that they have practiced all week and deserve to get to play!

Festus1
10-22-2003, 10:04 AM
I think the main point is that some teams just should not be playing others. I also realize that for some teams, it is nearly impossible to get teams to play. A good example is that this year Newton played Alphonso Crutch. I don't remember the score, but Coach Barbay was playing second and third string, punting and kicking field goals on first down, etc. to try and keep the score down. That game should probably not be on the schedule but teams like Port Neches Groves, Silsbee, Nederland and West Orange refuse to play a small 3a team. Mainly because they don't like being beaten by a smaller team. It's the only way Newton could get a needed game on the schedule. That to me is a shame, because I don't think it helps either team.

theyoefnshow
10-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Running up the score w/ starters is one thing, running it up w/ reserves is another. I think if you leave the first team in the whole time it's stupid but that's just my opinion. If the 2nd team continues to score, there isn't much that can be done about it u know? Unless they are passing the ball still.

bd0707
10-22-2003, 11:04 AM
I heard Coach Shipley from Burnet on a radio interview last nite say to the effect, we have only three games left in district prior to the playoffs. I need to have my starters in the entire game to better prepare them for playoff games. This sounds perfectly reasonable to this poster, that said, Wimberly, Ingram, and Liberty Hill may see the Dawgs unleashed. I would not consider this running up the score as much as it is preperation, the onus is put on the shoulders of defensive coordinators to develop a game plan to slow down the air assault of Burnet. The coaches at Bandera did a very respectable job of this last week and I think earned the respect of Burnet players, coaches, and fans.

District303aPastPlayer
10-22-2003, 11:57 AM
in talking with an aransas pass coach, when AP lost to wharton by 10 touchdowns, the wharton starters played through the middle of the 4th quarter, giving aransas pass a 70-0 loss.. that is what running up the score it

MASH4077
10-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Not only would we have beaten sweetwater it would have been a blow-out! Dane twice crawled off the field. he was half of our running game,and since he couldnt run yall could concentrate on Mckinney and he still gained well over 100yds. Greenwood coaches told Coach Story they were glad sweetwater won because they could not defend our passing game. so stick that in your pipe! by the way your the only jerk i've met or heard from Sweetwater!

Gobbla2001
10-22-2003, 12:37 PM
District303aPastPlayer:
in talking with an aransas pass coach, when AP lost to wharton by 10 touchdowns, the wharton starters played through the middle of the 4th quarter, giving aransas pass a 70-0 loss.. that is what running up the score itHere's the game summary... We can let everyone make their judgement on Wharton with this info...

Aransas Pass 1st 0 2nd 0 3rd 0 4th Total 0
Wharton 1st 21 2nd 21 3rd 28 4th 0 Total 70

Highlights
First Quarter
W - Raymond Hudson 35 run (Steven Nelson kick); 9:39
W - Hudson 34 run (Nelson kick); 2:45
W - Bryce Allen 20 pass from Trey Jones (Nelson kick); 1:05
Second Quarter
W - Pierre Fleurinor 50 fumble return (Nelson kick); 10:44
W - Courtney Taylor 41 pass from Jones (Nelson kick); 8:58
W - Kendrick Morgan 25 pass from Jones (Nelson kick); 3:28
Third Quarter
W - Paul White 86 run (Nelson kick); 11:42
W - Terrence Ward 20 pass from Jones (Nelson kick); 9:42
W - Hudson 29 run (Nelson kick); 8:22
W - Hudson 17 run (Nelson kick); 2:24

---

The only thing that tells me they may have ran it up is that a guy who scored in the first quarter scored in the 3rd... But if they're anything like Cuero, there are around 4 other rb's that are very good besides our main two that get roations and will maybe score or do good early, but they're not starters, they're just good backs getting rotations...

Wharton also had only 18 first downs to Aransas Pass's 16, so what that says is that Wharton pretty much couldn't help scoring...

Not trying to argue, just saying that the info I see doesn't tell me they ran it up, but if the coach you're talking to is right, than I'd like to hear his side of the story as well...

Also it's hard to judge those passes by stats alone... Cuero will run short passes just for practice (maybe a two yard pass) if we have the 'W' locked up... They're not designed to break, just to pick up a few yards, but sometimes they can go all of the way...

It's also important to know that the RB that did the most damage, Hudson, rushed only 15 times for 208 yards, an average of 13.86 yards a carry... The second leading rusher only rushed 3 times for 104 yards, that's 34.66 yards a carry... Just a big mismatch I think...

Really hard to judge this game...

Source: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/hssports/summary.asp?Event=0000 00000502012440&Year=000000000502004770&Sport=191 (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/hssports/summary.asp?Event=000000000502012440&Year=000000000502004770&Sport=191)

<small>[ October 22, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

RAIDER96
10-22-2003, 01:41 PM
bd0707:
I heard Coach Shipley from Burnet on a radio interview last nite say to the effect, we have only three games left in district prior to the playoffs. I need to have my starters in the entire game to better prepare them for playoff games. This sounds perfectly reasonable to this poster, that said, Wimberly, Ingram, and Liberty Hill may see the Dawgs unleashed. I would not consider this running up the score as much as it is preperation, the onus is put on the shoulders of defensive coordinators to develop a game plan to slow down the air assault of Burnet. The coaches at Bandera did a very respectable job of this last week and I think earned the respect of Burnet players, coaches, and fans.Get Real! Your ahead at half time 40 - 0 Are your starters really gonna get much out of the rest of the game?

spike
10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
There is no reason to ever run up the score on a high school or any game for that matter. I was on the end of one last week, when the opposing coach pushed another touchdown on me after my qb threw an int. that got ran back to the 15 yard line. He justified it by saying he had to get some other players in the game who had not played. We were down by 31 points with a minute left in the game.

What comes around goes around.

MASH4077
10-22-2003, 02:37 PM
The One ....if coach Story had wanted to run up the score he could have the entire 4th quarter you had a 5'5 corner on 6'2 christian and he didnt take advantage of it. And dont believe everything you read in the Mess. Coach Story is a class act and respected by most in Decatur,Unlike Henson in B'port.

The One
10-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Mash,
Are you saying Henson is not a class act or not respected, either way I think you are terribly wrong!

wildstangs
10-22-2003, 08:58 PM
MASH4077:
Not only would we have beaten sweetwater it would have been a blow-out! Dane twice crawled off the field. he was half of our running game,and since he couldnt run yall could concentrate on Mckinney and he still gained well over 100yds. Greenwood coaches told Coach Story they were glad sweetwater won because they could not defend our passing game. so stick that in your pipe! by the way your the only jerk i've met or heard from Sweetwater!24-21. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. To say Decatur would have blown out Sweetwater with Dane is an insult to Sweetwater and the Decatur football team.

MARLINFAN
10-22-2003, 09:16 PM
In 2000 marlin put 75 points on groesbeck on our homecoming. starters were out in the second otr (jeremy modkins #28 tcu ),(Mo Smith #2- tanks big brother juco transfer to baylor or tcu in the fall. well anyway we took the starters out and let freshman like #1 mark jiminez, #4 d, nerian wrighter and #5 red richardson.

MARLINFAN
10-22-2003, 09:16 PM
it wasnt homecoming it was parents night

bearcat1
10-22-2003, 10:41 PM
MASH4077:
Unlike Henson in B'port.That's wrong. Coach Henson is a class act and a great coach. Very well respected.
bc

LH Panther Mom
10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Fletch:
Watching film of the Gainesville-Van Alstyne game last night, noticed that Gainesville, leading 35-7 and easily dominating VA, executed an on-sides kick to get the ball back.

Pure class.Now that is running up the score.

Chief Woodman
10-23-2003, 09:04 AM
wildstangs:

The One:
Wildstangs,

That is exactley what I was talking about. Decatur is the perfect example of a team that leaves their players in with the intention to run up the score. Their coach all but admitted to it with his comments in the paper this week. I truly believe this cost Decatur their best chance for a State Championship last year. You have to protect your players!I was really being sarcastic, but you got the point. It seems like once a week we still hear about how Decatur would have beat Sweetwater last year if their QB would have been healthy.The one- Coach Story was misquoted. Here is what the paper said "I thought our guys played hard, and that might be why we had a couple touchdowns called back because we were playing aggressive and make some extra blocks that cost us. I would have liked to have put 50 up" But that was not said. He actually said something similar to "that without those calls we could have put up 50". How do I know this? Coach Story clarified it at the meeting Monday night. Oh yeah and one other thing. On the field after the game I was waiting to tell coach Story the scores from around the District. I was standing right next to them while the interview was being conducted. It was not said the way it appeared in the paper. Do not believe everything you read in the paper. If the paper never makes a mistake then according to the box score in The Star telegram, Decatur only score 4 TD's. Wonder where the other 7 points came from? Oh I know...it was the 7 points that the favored team gets every week before the game starts. They were supposed to give us those before the MW game and we would still be undefeated.(JOKE) What polls and papers say do not matter...what happens on the field and the scorboard does. You might be right...Leaving Dane in when 3 scores up with 3 minutes left might have cost the team a ring. But we will never know.

<small>[ October 23, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

BrainDamage
10-23-2003, 09:19 AM
I finally fouind the actual score to the GR -CHS game it was 83-2

whtfbplaya
10-23-2003, 11:13 PM
In topics like this don't make comments that you can't prove as fact (like for instance if you were at the game) I was there and wharton did not run up the score ap stunk. They RAN THE CLOCK THE SECOND HALF for crying out loud.

whtfbplaya
10-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Wharton ran 39 plays and scored 10 TD's what do you want em to do punt on first down.

whtfbplaya
10-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Wharton spent this week trying to figure out how not to score 100. Teams like this should never have to go on the road they should be able to play the whole season at home.

jason
10-23-2003, 11:33 PM
whtfbplaya:
Wharton spent this week trying to figure out how not to score 100. Teams like this should never have to go on the road they should be able to play the whole season at home.lol...rrriiiggghhhttt :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: