PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals reliever Hancock killed in car crash

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2007, 11:14 AM
ST. LOUIS -- Josh Hancock, a key member of the bullpen that helped the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series last season, was killed in a car crash early Sunday.

The Cardinals said they were told of the 29-year-old reliever's death by the St. Louis Police Department. The team's home game against the Chicago Cubs on Sunday night was postponed.

The team said the accident happened in St. Louis, but no other details were disclosed. The Cardinals and police are expected to make a statement this afternoon at Busch Stadium.

Hancock has pitched for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

Hancock joined the Cardinals before the 2006 season. He has pitched for Boston, Philadelphia and Cincinnati.

crzyjournalist03
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Gosh, it was only a year or two ago that they lost another pitcher who died in his hotel room. Tough loss for the team, family, and everybody around Hancock.

crzyjournalist03
04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Darryl Kile was the pitcher I was thinking about...wow...I didn't realize that was all the way back in 2002!

Highschoolfan78
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Darryl Kile was the pitcher I was thinking about...wow...I didn't realize that was all the way back in 2002!

ya, i remember when that happened. It doesn't seem like that long ago. My heart goes out to the family and friends... A sad hit for the St. Louis Cards