PDA

View Full Version : Congrats WOS

setxsports
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Congrats to the Mustangs advancing to State...Jacoby, Josh, Dominique, and Earl in the two relays; Earl in the long jump and 200 meters. Incredible showing at Regionals. First Regional First in 3A track...awesome.

44INAROW
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
If Earl has a good State Track meet - he could be in the running for high point man......

LH Panther Mom
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Have you seen the results of the finals yet?

Congrats to WO-S! :)

setxsports
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Saw them, thanks Mom.:cool:

LH Panther Mom
04-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by **********
Saw them :( I haven't seen today's - any idea about the boys' 300m hurdles?

setxsports
04-28-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm still looking around for results..

WO-S wins region meet
By JOHNNIE WALTERS, The Enterprise
04/29/2007
Updated 04/28/2007 11:19:06 PM CDT
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
HUMBLE - The West Orange-Stark boys track team was tired and exhausted by the time they headed to the middle of the field Saturday evening.

Advertisement

But it didn't seem to put a damper on the Mustangs celebration at Humble's Turner Stadium. The Mustangs had enough energy to crowd the top of the podium and flash big smiles and make No. 1 hand gestures. Some even jogged around the podium to celebrate.

For the first time in school history, the Mustangs won the Class 3A, Region III title.

"I am very proud of the way everyone on the team performed at this meet," said WO-S coach Toby Foreman. "It's the first time since we have been in 3A that we won a regional title."

WO-S won the regional title with a total of 56 points. Wharton finished in second place with 46 points while West Columbia was third with 42.

"It's kind of crazy that we won the regional title because we finished in third place at the district (21-3A) meet," said Foreman. "But I knew that we were going to win the title after we qualified our 800 relay for the state meet."

The Mustangs were able to win the title with strong performances in the 400- and 800-meter relays, 200 meters and long jump.

Dominique Rhodes, Jacoby Franks, Josh Gloston and Earl Thomas came across the finish line in 41.59 seconds to win the 400 relay.

Palestine finished in second place to qualify for state in 41.98.

"We ran our personal best at this meet," said Rhodes. "Everything just came together for us today. The weather was nice, and we had good hand offs. We just did what we had to do to win."

Rhodes, Gloston, Franks and Thomas finished in second place in the 800 relay with a time of 1:27.39. Palestine won the event in 1:26.85.

"I think we picked a good time to run our best time of the year," Franks said. "We were able to do it twice in one day. We were able to make it happen because we had good exchanges in both races."

Thomas finished in second place in the long jump with a leap of 23-5 1/4 to advance to Austin. He missed a chance to compete in the 200 meters with a third-place finish in 22.08. But Thomas' finish in the 200 meters was good enough to clinch the regional title for the Mustangs.

"We pretty much turned this track meet into the Mustang relays," Foreman said. "We pretty much dominated the two relays. The kids really gave their maximum effort today."

Silsbee's Donovan Harris will also represent Southeast Texas at state. He won the 110 hurdles in 14.50. Harris, who has won the District 21-3A title for the last three years, will make his first appear-ance at state. Harris is the only member of his team to qualify for the state meet.

"I am very excited about going to state," Harris said. "I put my all into it today and I am very happy with my performance. It's a lot of pressure to be the only member of my team to go to state, but I be-lieve I will represent the team well in Austin. I hope to win the state title."

Astrosdawg07
04-29-2007, 01:47 AM
What did Jasper do in track this year?