View Full Version : South Oak Cliff coach left two players in Austin

kepdawg
04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
S. Oak Cliff coach left two players in Austin

They ignored his orders after game; he's disciplined

08:26 PM CDT on Friday, April 27, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

South Oak Cliff boys basketball coach James Mays II was disciplined recently after he left two of his players in Austin after the UIL state tournament in March, school and district administrators said.

Seniors Michael Berry, 18, and Cornelius Dawson were told to arrange for their own transportation back to Dallas after disobeying an order from Mr. Mays to remain at the team's hotel after the Class 4A state title game on March 10. The rest of the team returned by bus on March 11.

"About 5:30 or 6 [a.m.], we got a wake-up call, and Coach Mays knocked on everybody's doors to get everybody up," Michael said. "He came in the room and told us to call our mothers to pick us up. Then he walked out. The rest of the team left."

Reba Berry, Michael's mother, attended the game in Austin but returned to Dallas on Saturday night.

She said she didn't learn that her son wasn't on the team bus until her daughter, Tameika, called her Sunday.

Michael said he called his sister about the situation early Sunday morning.

One of Michael's former coaches, who was in Austin for the tournament, drove the players home.

Mr. Mays, who's won three state titles in eight seasons at South Oak Cliff, said he considered the incident resolved and referred inquiries to Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson.

Michael, who played at Lincoln as a freshman and at Seagoville as a sophomore and junior, scored 15 points in the championship game.

Michael said he and Cornelius, instead of remaining at the hotel as Mr. Mays instructed on Saturday evening, ventured to Austin's Sixth Street district hours after South Oak Cliff won its third consecutive state title.

Michael said he received a text message from Mr. Mays around midnight to return to the hotel in 10 minutes or face further consequences but said he and Cornelius stayed out until roughly 4:30 a.m.

Mr. Johnson and SOC athletic director Barbara Brown-McCoy said Mr. Mays was disciplined for the incident.

Mr. Mays, Mr. Johnson, Ms. Brown-McCoy and SOC Principal Regina Jones declined to elaborate.

"This was a personnel issue," Mr. Johnson said. "Everything has been handled accordingly.

"We had our concerns and did our investigations, and now it's done."

In addition, Michael and Cornelius were given in-school suspensions.

Cornelius didn't return repeated phone messages for comment.

Reba Berry said she spoke with Ms. Jones on March 23 and met with Area 5 Superintendent Vickie Mitchell on March 27.

Ms. Mitchell assured her that Mr. Mays had been disciplined.

Mr. Mays said he doesn't have a problem with any of his players and is helping Michael and Cornelius obtain college scholarships. Both players are unsigned but were vital to SOC's state title run.

"I love all my players, them included, and I'm happy that they were able to take part in everything we did this year," Mr. Mays said. "I want all of my players to look back one day and say that they were a part of something special."

mustang59
04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Bad idea. The coach was responsible for the player's safety and he should have taken them home and THEN disciplined them. He also should have called their parents when they didn't go back to the motel after he texted them.

JR2004
04-27-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't blame Mays one bit. If these kids are going to blatantly disobey him and head out to 6th street then they get whatever is coming to them.

44INAROW
04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
S.

Michael, who played at Lincoln as a freshman and at Seagoville as a sophomore and junior, scored 15 points in the championship game.

hhmmm 3 schools in 4 years - :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

some folks just don't think the rules apply to them...... while I think what the boys did was wrong - the coach leaving them in Austin was a bonehead thing to do - but I certainly understand his wanting to do it.

kepdawg
04-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I went to 3 schools in 4 years. :thinking:

44INAROW
04-27-2007, 09:56 PM
I went to 3 schools in 4 years. :thinking:

I am sure alot of fine people have - just making an observation, that's all - but were all the schools you went to within shouting distance of each other? (of course, I have no idea if the 3 schools he went to are so that's really a stupid comment lol) I will give the boy credit for admitting what he did instead of lying or making up some outrageous excuse -

kepdawg
04-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I am sure alot of fine people have - just making an observation, that's all - but were all the schools you went to within shouting distance of each other? (of course, I have no idea if the 3 schools he went to are so that's really a stupid comment lol)

It all depends on who is doing the shouting!

44INAROW
04-27-2007, 10:01 PM
It all depends on who is doing the shouting!

:D :D

JR2004
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Not a bad kid. The three schools in four years has more to do with this. He starts out at Lincoln. He gets recruited to Seagoville by the guy who was Lincoln's head coach before Bishop took over there several years ago (Coincedentally Bishop was the head coach at Seagoville before coming to Lincoln)...So Robert Allen leaves Seagoville to go to Carter and all the recruits leave Seagoville and head back home and Berry goes to SOC. The jump in schools had nothing to do with the quality of the kid.

He still deserved to be left behind though. Heck if you aren't going to listen to Mays then you're going to get left behind!

mustang59
04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
If Mays didn't want to take the kids back with him he should have called the parents and told them to come pick their boys up or arrange for transportation, but he shouldn't have left them in Austin alone. Obviously school administration thought it was the wrong thing or they wouldn't have disciplined him. The boys deserved to be punished and I don't blame him for being angry but he was still responsible for getting them back to Oak Cliff. If something had happend to them Mays and the school system would have been held responsible.

DU_stud04
04-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by mustang59
If something had happened to them Mays and the school system would have been held responsible. yup, disciplinary action should be taken, but while on that trip, those kids are his responsibility, also why he wanted them back in 10 minutes, lots of trouble those kids can get into. they are adults and should be accounted for their own actions, but i believe the coach made the wrong decision and should had disciplined them once they are back in oc, not leaving them before he knew the boys could be accounted for.