PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Sock

Old Tiger
04-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I think this is a stupid story about a stupid sock.

bhtrainer
04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
thanks for the enlightenment...i feel smarter just readin this thread

big daddy russ
04-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I agree. Sportscenter spent more than five minutes (that's a lifetime in the world of news) on it and even pulled Tim Kurkjian out from the mothballs to cover it.

Two things I think after seeing this story:

1. It wouldn't even matter if the sock was painted. Everyone knows he had the surgery. A little blood doesn't hurt as bad as that.

2. Sportscenter is officially the National Enquirer of the sports world.

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Schilling has offered 1 million dollars as a donation to charity if anybody will take the sock out of the Hall of Fame and test it.

Maroon87
04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Schilling excoriates media for bloody sock story
ESPN.com news services

Curt Schilling responded to the controversy over whether his bloody socks were really bloody with a brushback pitch and a $1 million dare.

In his blog, "38pitches.com," Schilling asserted the blood on his socks during the 2004 American League Championship Series and the subsequent World Series was indeed real. He lambasted Baltimore Orioles play-by-play man Gary Thorne for saying on the air that it was paint. He criticized the media for running wild with the story. And he offered $1 million payable to charity to anyone who wants to scientifically test the bloody sock presently on display at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

"My only real problem is not that Gary Thorne said something stupid and ignorant, which he did, but that without a word being uttered by anyone in our clubhouse this somehow became a major news story," Schilling wrote.

Thorne, during the fifth inning of Wednesday's Orioles-Red Sox game, said on the air he had been told by Boston backup catcher Doug Mirabelli that the blood on Schilling's sock was actually paint. After the game, Mirabelli denied ever saying that, and the Red Sox reacted angrily.

Thursday, Thorne said he had misunderstood Mirabelli.

"He said one thing, and I heard something else. I reported what I heard and what I honestly felt was said," Thorne said. "Having talked with him today, there's no doubt in my mind that's not what he said, that's not what he meant ... I took it as something serious, and it wasn't."

That was little comfort to Schilling, who was not happy with Thorne's explanation.

"So Gary Thorne says that Doug told him the blood was fake. Which even when he's called out he can't admit he lied," Schilling wrote on his blog. "Doug never told Gary Thorne anything. Gary Thorne overheard something and then misreported what he overheard. Not only did he misreport it, he misinterpreted what he misreported."

"So now you have the actual doctor that performed the surgery both times, my teammates and coaches all admitting it was real [as they did two years ago], yet people still want to think otherwise. The sock from Game 2 of the World Series has been in the Hall of Fame for 2 years now, anyone at anytime could have tested it if they truly wanted to know. However if they do that, and realize that the blood is real, what happens to the story? I'm still convinced that the sock from game 6 of the ALCS is in someone that works in the Yankee clubhouse's home."

Schilling's media criticism was not reserved solely for Thorne.

"The other great part of this is knowing that anyone that wrote anything about a 'conspiracy' or a 'plot' is someone that is so far removed from understanding how physically and mentally challenging it is to play this game at this level you can almost laugh off their stupidity," he wrote in his blog.

"So for one of the first times this blog serves one of the purposes I'd hoped it would if the need arose. The media hacked and spewed their way to a day or two of stories that had zero basis in truth. A story fabricated by the media, for the media. The best part was that instead of having to sit through a litany of interviews to 'defend' myself, or my teammates, I got to do that here."

Schilling had sutures stitched into his right ankle to hold an injured tendon in place so he could pitch in Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS, and repeated the procedure again in Game 2 of the World Series. In both cases, what appeared to be blood could be seen seeping through Schilling's sock.

Ever since, Schilling has dealt with doubters questioning whether the red stains were really blood. In his blog, he addressed those doubts again.

"It was blood. You can choose to believe whatever you need to, but facts are facts," he wrote. "The 25 guys that were in that locker room, the coaches, they all know it. In the end nothing else really matters. The people that need to believe otherwise are people with their own insecurities and issues."

And for anyone still doubting the veracity of the blood on the socks, Schilling had an astounding offer to end the debate "once and for all," with the proceeds benefitting research to fight Lou Gehrig's disease or the bettor's favorite charity.

"I'll wager one million dollars to the charity of anyone's choice, versus the same amount to ALS. If the blood on the sock is fake, I'll donate a million dollars to that person's charity; if not, they donate that amount to ALS. Any takers?"

Maroon87
04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
My take is...who cares if it was blood or not? Of course Schilling does. He's always looking for a good excuse to run his mouth.

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
My take is...who cares if it was blood or not? Of course Schilling does. He's always looking for a good excuse to run his mouth.

A lot of people care, because Schilling is a polarizing athlete...he's one of those guys that most people either love or hate. Personally, I'm a huge fan of his and would love to see him come ot Texas next year when the Sox refuse to give him money (Don't start...I know it won't happen). But for all the Schilling haters out there, and there are many, this gives them more reason to add fuel to their fire.

Maroon87
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
A lot of people care, because Schilling is a polarizing athlete...he's one of those guys that most people either love or hate. Personally, I'm a huge fan of his and would love to see him come ot Texas next year when the Sox refuse to give him money (Don't start...I know it won't happen). But for all the Schilling haters out there, and there are many, this gives them more reason to add fuel to their fire.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher that any team would love to have, but it just seems that he's so thin-skinned about everything that's said about him. That's what gets tiresome. He's like the Tony Stewart of MLB.

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher that any team would love to have, but it just seems that he's so thin-skinned about everything that's said about him. That's what gets tiresome. He's like the Tony Stewart of MLB.

:D who happens to be my favorite NASCAR driver...

Maroon87
04-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Oh good grief...:rolleyes: ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
A lot of people care, because Schilling is a polarizing athlete...he's one of those guys that most people either love or hate. Personally, I'm a huge fan of his and would love to see him come ot Texas next year when the Sox refuse to give him money (Don't start...I know it won't happen). But for all the Schilling haters out there, and there are many, this gives them more reason to add fuel to their fire. Rangers seem to get the pitchers past their prime:(

Darren
04-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Please take that back....

I don't even follow NASCAR that close but he is such a whiner.

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Please take that back....

I don't even follow NASCAR that close but he is such a whiner.

He speaks his mind, and he drives like heck on the track. What's not to like?

Maroon87
04-27-2007, 04:37 PM
He speaks his mind, and he drives like heck on the track. What's not to like?

The problem is he has usually lost his mind by the time he speaks it. He got fined $10K and put on probation for skipping the post race interview last week.