PDA

View Full Version : Bearkats looking to claim regional championship

Ray_BearKat
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Found this in the Valley Morning Star...

April 25, 2007 - 11:53PM
Bearkats looking to claim regional championship
By ELADIO JAIMEZ

RAYMONDVILLE — They’re considered a 3A school only because they have small numbers.
Talent-wise, the Raymondville Bearkats could easily compete in any Class 5A district in the Rio Grande Valley.
Last month, Progreso hosted its first-ever track meet at Red Ant Stadium, inviting most of the Valley’s 3As.
The Bearkats, however, opted to not go. Instead, head coach Tony Neimeir took his squad to Edinburg for the Cats Relays.
And the move paid off. Raymondville edged out Edinburg North for the team title. But more importantly, Neimeir’s group showed it could definitely run with the big boys.
Now the Bearkats hope the stiff regular-season competition against bigger schools helps them out at the Region IV-3A track and field meet at Texas A&M University at Kingsville Friday and Saturday.
“We did well against the 5A schools down here,” said senior Andrew Hernandez. “We just need to go up there and compete at the best of our ability. We can only control what we do. We can’t worry about what the other schools will do.”
Hernandez is a returning qualifier to the regional meet and hopes to break through to state this weekend. He’ll run the 400-meter dash and 800-meter run.
Hernandez is one of four seniors and one of 10 regional qualifiers. Raymondville will also have all three relays running at Kingsville.
Carlo Dominguez, Gilbert Garza and Manny Cortinas are the other seniors.
But there’s others, like sophomore sprinter Dustin Alejo and thrower David Rodriguez, with a great chance for individual success at TAMUK.
But with the overload of talent at Neimeir’s hands, the Raymondville Bearkats are aiming a little higher than simply qualifying a few athletes for state.
The Bearkats want to be regional champs.
“We have good enough athletes and relays that I think we can win the meet,” Neimeir said. “Cuero has good relays, but Carlo is jumping better and David will help us out with some points there.”
Last year, the Bearkats finished in third place in the team standings. But as agonizing as it was to come that close and not win it all, it didn’t compare to the anguish of not qualifying any athletes to the state meet.
“Last year was the first time in eight years we didn’t qualify someone for state,” Neimeir said. “Carlo was disappointed because he jumped good all year but had a bad meet. Everyone is really focused right now. And they’ve vowed to get back to the state meet.”
Dominguez currently owns the Valley’s Bests top mark in the triple jump at 46 feet, 8 inches. The triple might be his best shot at redemption to earn a trip to Austin. Dominguez also runs on all three relays.
Alejo has personal bests of 21.7 in the 200-meter dash and 10.6 in the 100.
And of the three relays, the 800 might have the best shot to advance to state. The Bearkats 800-relay has a personal best of 1:29.41 and Neimeir hopes to build on that success in Kingsville.
“We set goals and we see the finish line within reach,” Neimeir said.”

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/pictures/1177563192-sports1.jpg
From left, seniors Gilbert Garza, Andrew Hernandez and Manny Cortinas, Gabe Hernandez / Valley Morning Star

coach
04-26-2007, 01:36 PM
why is bearkat misspelled...isnt it bearcat?

44INAROW
04-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Looks like the Region IV Track Meet is going to be loaded with talent. Makes for a great day for the spectators :)

Bearkat
04-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by coach
why is bearkat misspelled...isnt it bearcat?

Just depends on where you're from. Cincinnati spells it with a "C". Cincinnati Bearcats. SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY spells it with a "K". SHSU Bearkats!!!

eagles_victory
04-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Just depends on where you're from. Cincinnati spells it with a "C". Cincinnati Bearcats. SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY spells it with a "K". SHSU Bearkats!!! yea you would figure someone who went to SFA of all places would know that about SHSU

Corn Cob
04-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Sorry Bearkats! I have a feeling the Gobblers will win this one going away!

coach
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
guys i was kidding and i thought ev would pick up on it since ive said something similar to that before

Ray_BearKat
04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
Sorry Bearkats! I have a feeling the Gobblers will win this one going away!

maybe, but i hope there will be at least some competition for the Gobblers...last year we came in third without qualitying a player for state, this years team is by far more talented. we'll find out this saturday.