PDA

View Full Version : anyone do any kayaking?

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm considering getting a kayak to fish in... it's gettin' pretty big down here on the coast...

any of you guys kayak?

DU_stud04
04-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I'm considering getting a kayak to fish in... it's gettin' pretty big down here on the coast...

any of you guys kayak? i just got into the urban kayaking.... its a rush man... ;)

Black_Magic
04-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Its fun to sky dive with a Kayak and land in a river.

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 11:15 AM
man, I'm pumped I can't wait to get one... just gotta find a good one...

DU_stud04
04-26-2007, 11:23 AM
urban kayaking(bout 1 minute in) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NE4Gm9XFXw)

yup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7C0SZaynxM)

44INAROW
04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
It would scare me to death......:eek: :eek: I have a fear of flipping upside down and not being able to turn back over and drowning :(

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
It would scare me to death......:eek: :eek: I have a fear of flipping upside down and not being able to turn back over and drowning :(

yah, but the ones I'm looking at are "sit on tops" or whatever they call 'em... you're not in a hole, your whole body is freee to get burned by that gawd-awful sun... so if you flip, you'll most likely be beside your kayak...

like so:

http://images.westmarine.com/full/5298278.jpg

Gsquared
04-26-2007, 11:41 AM

any of you guys kayak?
I do everyonce and a while. They have bars here dedicated to that. I like to start off with some James Brown or Barry White and finish it off with some Rick Springfield. I usually go back to my seat and have a few more beers afterwards and let someone else have the microphone.

DU_stud04
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I do everyonce and a while. They have bars here dedicated to that. I like to start off with some James Brown or Barry White and finish it off with some Rick Springfield. I usually go back to my seat and have a few more beers afterwards and let someone else have the microphone. :doh: :doh: :doh:

44INAROW
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
yah, but the ones I'm looking at are "sit on tops" or whatever they call 'em... you're not in a hole, your whole body is freee to get burned by that gawd-awful sun... so if you flip, you'll most likely be beside your kayak...

like so:

http://images.westmarine.com/full/5298278.jpg

I could handle that ..................

pirate4state
04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I do everyonce and a while. They have bars here dedicated to that. I like to start off with some James Brown or Barry White and finish it off with some Rick Springfield. I usually go back to my seat and have a few more beers afterwards and let someone else have the microphone. :D:D:D

oh and Gobbla you may want to talk to AP Panther Fan I think she does some kayaking. :)

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
G2 you make me haha...

AP kayaks? gimme some tips, lady...

AP Panther Fan
04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
G2 you make me haha...

AP kayaks? gimme some tips, lady...

Hey, this is the first time I have had a chance to look at the downlow today and I am on my way out the door, but I will get with you regarding kayaking. I have some friends that own a kayak shop here in AP. Not only do they sell them, they rent them, do guided tours (even midnight/full moon) and do guided kayak fishing. They are great folks and a wealth of information regarding kayaks.

I'll get a link to their website for you (maybe tomorrow) also names, phone numbers etc....

Kayaking is FUN! :D

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Hey, this is the first time I have had a chance to look at the downlow today and I am on my way out the door, but I will get with you regarding kayaking. I have some friends that own a kayak shop here in AP. Not only do they sell them, they rent them, do guided tours (even midnight/full moon) and do guided kayak fishing. They are great folks and a wealth of information regarding kayaks.

I'll get a link to their website for you (maybe tomorrow) also names, phone numbers etc....

tell 'em to hook me up cheap because you know me :D

actually I'd maybe like to do one of their guides one day, I have never fished the AP/Port A area though I've heard of where to go...

SintonFan
04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I do everyonce and a while. They have bars here dedicated to that. I like to start off with some James Brown or Barry White and finish it off with some Rick Springfield. I usually go back to my seat and have a few more beers afterwards and let someone else have the microphone.
lol
It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought the same thing when I saw the title of this thread. lol :D

SintonFan
04-26-2007, 06:44 PM

any of you guys kayak?
The last couple of time we've gone "tubing" down the Frio we've had to rent kayaks. It's fun but jeez it sure makes it tough to store and drink your beer.:(

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 10:06 PM

(doo doo doo doo doo doo doo... doo doo doo doo DOOT, doodoodoodoodoo)

injuredinmelee
04-26-2007, 10:12 PM
to all the people that know me I am more of a Marathon type of guy. I wouldnt know about kayaking...

I dont know if I could squeeze my big butt into a kayak...

SintonFan
04-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
to all the people that know me I am more of a Marathon type of guy. I wouldnt know about kayaking...

I dont know if I could squeeze my big butt into a kayak...
You might be surprised!:D
I've done it a few times and your butt aint bigger than mine.:p

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I heard Rosie did it...

SintonFan
04-27-2007, 12:47 AM
I heard Rosie did it...
lol
Was that with a "double seater"? lol

big daddy russ
04-27-2007, 02:57 AM
I (well, my parents) have one, a two-man ocean kayak. I take it fishing from time to time... usually out in the Lighthouse Lakes area between Aransas and Port A.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind fishing at all, but the honest truth is that I fish just to be out on the water. There's nothing in this world I love more, and I take that kayak out just to be out there more than anything else.

The people that APPF is talking about (I'm guessing she's talking about the owners of Slow Ride) would be able to tell you a lot more than I ever could, but next time your down that way let me know. If I'm down there, we'll take my kayak out (or yours if you have it, or both) and do some catchin.'

Gobbla2001
04-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I love fishing a lot, but I'm like you Russ, just like to be outdoors and I really love back-bay style fishing in the grass etc... it's easy on my eyes, and quiet as hell...

If I get one I'll let y'all know and we can have a Downlow Kayak Fest... I'll go ahead and tie the tube with the icechest to the back of my yak

I'm looking at a single-seater ocean-kayak I like... but there's a lot of brands and I'm gunna keep lookin'...

AP Panther Fan
04-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Gobbla...here is the link for Slow Ride (http://www.slowrideguide.com/) . Dean and Jennifer are nice folks, you would like them.

I'm not sure what types, brands etc...that they sell, but it is certainly worth a phone call. I'll send you a pm also.

The pictures on the website are pretty neat, but I had problems after enlarging them getting my back button to work properly (or get me back to the photo page). Anyway, if you are planning on making a trip to AP, let me know.

I like the double seaters so you can take a friend along to help paddle. Plus there is plenty of ice chest room.;)

Snyder_TigerFan
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
The pictures on the website are pretty neat, but I had problems after enlarging them getting my back button to work properly (or get me back to the photo page). Anyway, if you are planning on making a trip to AP, let me know.

I was able to click the picture to see it full size and then click it again to get back to the thumbnails.

Sure makes me want to go fishing.:(

AP Panther Fan
04-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Sure makes me want to go fishing.:(

With summer almost here, maybe you can plan a trip down to the coast to get your "fishing" fix. :cool:

I will have to try the pictures again...it was probably "operator" error.:thinking:

Snyder_TigerFan
04-30-2007, 11:41 AM
With summer almost here, maybe you can plan a trip down to the coast to get your "fishing" fix. :cool:

We usually plan a trip to the corpus area each year. I don't know if we will this year, but I love the fishing. Kayak fishing sounds like it would be a blast!

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 12:42 AM
hey, AP... I just started going to a forum at www.texaskayakfisherman.com and those two post there... I think both dean and jennifer post there... I know all of the guys there are always given the dean guy a hard time...

thanks for the info...

Gobbla2001
05-01-2007, 12:52 AM
here's some replies to a slow ride thread on that message board (a thread in which Slow Ride was thanked for being a great guide service etc...)

---
Dean and I trade jabs alot with him winning most of the time. That being said, can't find a better fisherman to go with. I can find prettier ones, just not better.
---
Sob,Sob, Sob
---
Tombo ,ya have to agree -Dean looks pretty hot in PINK !

I shared a beer & some lies with him ONCE ---BUT ONLY ONCE .
---
You had me agreeing until you got to that part about working hard. (in reply to a poster saying he is a hard working guide)
---

seems like a great guy, may have to give him a try one of these days so he can show me that area down there, I've never fished anything South of Rockport...