PDA

View Full Version : Why are gas prices so high?

kepdawg
04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
:confused:

Exxon 1Q profit rises 10% to $9.3 billion 8:40 AM CDT

09:02 AM CDT on Thursday, April 26, 2007

Associated Press

NEW YORK — Exxon Mobil Corp., the world’s largest publicly traded oil company, said Thursday its net income grew 10 percent in the first quarter, as higher refining, marketing and chemical profit margins overcame lower crude oil and natural gas prices.

Net income rose to $9.3 billion, or $1.62 per share, for the January-March period from $8.4 billion, or $1.37 per share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for a profit of $1.52 per share.

Revenue fell to $87.2 billion from $88.9 billion a year earlier. Like other major oil companies, Exxon was hurt by lower oil and natural gas prices to start 2007 compared with a year ago.

Last year, the Irving, Texas-based company posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company — $39.5 billion. That result topped the previous record, also by Exxon Mobil, of $36.13 billion set in 2005.

Last month, Exxon Mobil said it will spend some of that money on more than 20 new global projects in the next three years, investments expected to add 1 million oil-equivalent barrels a day to the company’s volumes at peak production.

The company said its spending tab for capital and exploration projects in the first quarter was $4.3 billion.

“In the first quarter, Exxon Mobil continued to actively invest, bringing additional crude oil, finished products and natural gas to market,” Exxon Mobil Chairman and Chief Executive Rex Tillerson said in a statement.

Exxon Mobil was the third major oil company to report earnings in as many days. BP PLC, Europe’s second-largest oil company, on Tuesday reported a 17 percent drop in first-quarter earnings on lower oil prices and declining production. On Wednesday, ConocoPhillips said its first-quarter profit rose 7.7 percent, but the result was propped up by assets sales as it also was hurt by lower commodity prices.

Exxon Mobil said earnings from its exploration and production arm — known as the upstream side of the business — were $6 billion, down from $5.7 billion a year ago, primarily reflecting lower oil and natural gas prices and decreased demand for natural gas in Europe.

The market price for crude oil was off more than $5 a barrel in the first quarter versus a year ago. The comparable price for natural gas also was down.

Exxon Mobil said oil production in the first three months of 2007 was slightly higher than a year ago, helped in part by increased production from projects in West Africa, Russia and the Middle East.

Natural gas production, however, was off from last year, hampered by mature field declines and lower European demand related to weather.

On the refining and marketing side of the business — known as the downstream — earnings rose to $1.9 billion from $1.3 billion to start 2006, lifted by improved refining and marketing margins and more efficient refining operations.

A company’s refining margin is the difference between what it costs to refine crude oil and what the company makes selling refined products, such as gasoline and jet fuel.

Exxon Mobil said it also saw improved profit margins at its chemicals business, where earnings of $1.2 billion were up from nearly $1 billion in the year-ago quarter.

During the first quarter, Exxon Mobil said it bought 108 million shares of its common stock at a cost of $8 billion. Shares outstanding were reduced from roughly 5.7 billion from at the end of 2006 to 5.6 billion at the end of March.

Phil C
04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
"It's all about the Fat Cats getting big profits and bonuses." said the Sinton GodFather while on his way upstars for a morning cup of coffee.

IHStangFan
04-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
"It's all about the Fat Cats getting big profits and bonuses." said the Sinton GodFather while on his way upstars for a morning cup of coffee. (BUZZZZZ) WRONG! Phil, do you vote democrat? ;) Contrary to popular liberal belief, the cost of gas has nothing to do w/ G.W. Bush being in bed w/ the oil industry tycoons, etc.......the reason gas is so expensive is do to one overpowering factor. It DOES stem from the middle east, but not quite how you would expect. Basically the US is quietly ramping up their exploration for oil in other places...well..basically everywhere BUT the middle east. Canada has more oil sitting under it than the entire middle east, BUT, it is harder to get to. This ramp up of exploration and methods to get to some of the "harder to get to" deposits is expensive....hence your rise in gas prices. Basically in a nutshell, our government and yes..GW...have said to hell w/ the middle east, we have made ourselves dependant on nations that arent exactly our "friends" lets take our money elsewhere, get our oil elsewhere, and in the process....topple the majority of middle eastern economies....in one fatal swoop. FINE BY ME!! And before you all start flaming me....I myself am tied to the oil industry by trade, and my father is VERY high up on the totem pole and is known well in the business...this is not just a random off the top of my head rant. :nerd:

Gobbla2001
04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
is exxon the only company that sells gas?

Bull19
04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
its called peak oil....its only going to be getting more expensive so get used to it

shankbear
04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
And that thing called "demand" is very high. There is only so much oil and billions of users wanting it. Eco 101.

mistanice
04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
it's called a company credit card, i suggest you get one!:D

Snyder_TigerFan
04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
And that thing called "demand" is very high. There is only so much oil and billions of users wanting it. Eco 101.

We keep hearing that the demand is high, but in actuality, is demand that much higher than it was 15-20 years ago? Are there really more people on the roads now than there were back then? Cars are more economical than they were back then.

Txbroadcaster
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
We keep hearing that the demand is high, but in actuality, is demand that much higher than it was 15-20 years ago? Are there really more people on the roads now than there were back then? Cars are more economical than they were back then.

Yes it is higher..China has started to use more aand more oil every year to the point they are the leading users in the World.

HM33
04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yes it is higher..China has started to use more aand more oil every year to the point they are the leading users in the World.

Thats cuz china has like 3 people for square foot over there... rediculous how many ppl they have...

carter08
04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
It's all FDR's fault.

he should have stopped at 3 terms instead of ruining America

injuredinmelee
04-26-2007, 04:10 PM

between China and India there isnt enough oil to go around and they simply keep driving the prices up with the middle eastern Oil Cartels.

crzyjournalist03
04-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
between China and India there isnt enough oil to go around and they simply keep driving the prices up with the middle eastern Oil Cartels.

let's all boycott Chinese food and Indian food like we did French food a few years ago!!!

I want my Freedom Won Ton!!!

IHStangFan
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
theres yet another factor that everyone is seeming to forget....the value of the dollar.....it continues to fall..while oil prices do not.....something else to ponder

Bull19
04-26-2007, 05:09 PM

cars aren't the only thing that uses oil...... everything revolves around oil.

Phil C
04-26-2007, 09:41 PM
It's all the greed of the Fat Cats.

bhtrainer
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
when someone in the middle east farts...gas goes up...lol

injuredinmelee
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM
It's all the greed of the Fat Cats.
Phil in whatever job you have how would you like someone putting a cap on your earnings? Limiting your profit potential? Why should we do that to the Oil Companies? They dont owe us anything do they? I mean you might think they owe us low prices but why? Why would they owe us that?

sinton66
04-26-2007, 10:38 PM

There's probably five times more cars on the roads now than 15-20 years ago. I'm responsible for two more(both my kids have grown up and own cars.)

BILLYFRED0000
04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
its called peak oil....its only going to be getting more expensive so get used to it

That is also bogus by the way. The Peak oil theory is much like global warming. There is a peak out there but we are not close to it yet. Every few years technology makes it easier and less expensive to get oil. Add to the fact that no one will let the companies get to the easy oil, see off shore rigs for florida california etc and then add to the fact that we are using 70's era
capacity for refining for todays needs and you get demand without supply. The oil companies can only now afford to do the things they want concerning drilling and no one will let them build refineries. Also, we use about 53 percent of the oil for energy uses. The other 47 percent is used for plastics and other petroleum products, much of which is exported which returns the money back to us. So do understand that the liberals paint a very false picture to force us to change our ways to what they want. And this also is not a rant since a lot of my family has been in or is connected currently to the oil business.

BILLYFRED0000
04-26-2007, 11:54 PM
In all reality, if you take what we re export as plastics and other finished products and the money that comes with it, we are only using app 70 percent of the oil both imported and exported for home use. In other words, 30 percent is demand for things that we sell abroad for hard currency. In a true war time scenario, with our reserves and conservation, we could produce enough oil to supply ourselves and military. But you never hear that. You hear how the stingy selfish americans in their SUV's use all the oil
in the world.... And that would be the leftist wacko environmenalists and their ilk speaking. Ever hear of environmental terrorism? Those boys burn suv's etc. Crazy stuff.

And Oh BTW, they also say we are responsible for global warming.
Are we beginning to sense a pattern of deception here?

thatsminty
04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
"It's all about the Fat Cats getting big profits and bonuses." said the Sinton GodFather while on his way upstairs for a morning cup of coffee.

i love this quote...

BILLYFRED0000
04-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
In all reality, if you take what we re export as plastics and other finished products and the money that comes with it, we are only using app 70 percent of the oil both imported and exported for home use. In other words, 30 percent is demand for things that we sell abroad for hard currency. In a true war time scenario, with our reserves and conservation, we could produce enough oil to supply ourselves and military. But you never hear that. You hear how the stingy selfish americans in their SUV's use all the oil
in the world.... And that would be the leftist wacko environmenalists and their ilk speaking. Ever hear of environmental terrorism? Those boys burn suv's etc. Crazy stuff.

And Oh BTW, they also say we are responsible for global warming.
Are we beginning to sense a pattern of deception here?

These facts are one of the reasons I laugh so hard when some says we are fightin for oil. What we usually are doin is fightin for our allies oil. Or to keep our enemies from getting control of too much oil which would give them leverage over world markets that
could destabilize the world economies.

Phil C
04-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I mean you might think they owe us low prices but why? Why would they owe us that?

Because they do! TA DA! Now you got it!

If I were a CEO we would have low gas prices.

:clap:

shankbear
04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
The answer for all of us..........buy oil company stock.

injuredinmelee
04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Because they do! TA DA! Now you got it!

If I were a CEO we would have low gas prices.

:clap:
way to pick out the part you wanted to respond to.