PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn goes number one to the Raiders?

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
That's what I've been hearing. Been plastered all over the draft message boards and ESPNews came out with a brief earlier today that said the Raiders are talking with Quinn's agent.

Interesting twist, seeing as how everyone saw them taking Jamarcus Russell number one, with a slight possibility of Calvin Johnson sneaking in there.

I'll try to find a link. Until then, I'll leave you with this...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/justpimpit369/raiderquinn.jpg

District303aPastPlayer
04-25-2007, 01:10 PM
probably not going to happen... the raiders have also been in contact with the agent of Russell and Johnson. Look for Johnson to go first and the Raiders to draft a QB in the later rounds...

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
They posted this brief, but I couldn't find a link anywhere. We'll see if it's all true.

Raiders | Team reaches out to Quinn's agent
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:00:17 -0700

ESPNews reports the Oakland Raiders have reached out to Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn's agent to talk general numbers on a potential contract. The Raiders currently hold the No. 1 overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft.

District303aPastPlayer
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
They posted this brief, but I couldn't find a link anywhere. We'll see if it's all true.

Raiders | Team reaches out to Quinn's agent
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:00:17 -0700

ESPNews reports the Oakland Raiders have reached out to Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn's agent to talk general numbers on a potential contract. The Raiders currently hold the No. 1 overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft.

he stated it yesterday on cold pizza :)

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
he stated it yesterday on cold pizza :)
Gotcha.

And I could see how it would be a bargaining chip, but I like Quinn better than Russell. I think they're both going a little high compared to the talent they possess, but it seems like Quinn is the safer pick.

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Yesterday they were talking about Trent Green being the "key". Is Green staying put in KC?

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yesterday they were talking about Trent Green being the "key". Is Green staying put in KC?
I've heard so many things about Green. I don't know if he's staying, moving to Miami, or what's going on.

crzyjournalist03
04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I think that the Quinn talk is all a smoke screen...the Raiders are bad and need picks. I think they're trying to do what they can to trade down a couple of spots and pick up another couple of picks in the process. It's standard procedure to discuss contracts with several players you're interested in drafting. That way if Quinn wants half of what Russell wants, the team has options.

BILLYFRED0000
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
probably not going to happen... the raiders have also been in contact with the agent of Russell and Johnson. Look for Johnson to go first and the Raiders to draft a QB in the later rounds...

No I think Quinn is the smart choice. 4 year starter in college equals best chance for returns. Mcnabb was one of the last 4 year starters and he definetly has been an nfl starter.

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 05:15 PM
There's officially an offer on the table. It's a lowball offer. Let's see if Quinn takes it.

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
There's officially an offer on the table. It's a lowball offer. Let's see if Quinn takes it. Lowball offer? What does that mean?

Guess I need to go home and watch Sportscenter :D

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Lowball offer? What does that mean?

Guess I need to go home and watch Sportscenter :D
They offered him a tiny contract compared to what they'd be giving to one of the other top prospects just to see if he'd sign for it.

Right now, Brady Quinn's almost in an Aaron Rodgers-type of situation. A couple of years back, the 49ers did the same thing to Rodgers. Alex Smith was a slightly better prospect, but the Niners figured they could try to latch on to Rodgers and give him less money in the process.

Rodgers declined the offer and wound up suffering for it. He slipped all the way to the 24th pick in the draft and lost tons of money.

Brady Quinn won't slip that far, but there is about a 33% chance he could slip into the bottom of the top ten. Possibly to Miami, possibly farther. If that were to happen, this low offer that's guaranteed to the number one overall pick will look great, and there's no doubt that Quinn, along with Raiders owner Al Davis, knows this.

BILLYFRED0000
04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
They offered him a tiny contract compared to what they'd be giving to one of the other top prospects just to see if he'd sign for it.

Right now, Brady Quinn's almost in an Aaron Rodgers-type of situation. A couple of years back, the 49ers did the same thing to Rodgers. Alex Smith was a slightly better prospect, but the Niners figured they could try to latch on to Rodgers and give him less money in the process.

Rodgers declined the offer and wound up suffering for it. He slipped all the way to the 24th pick in the draft and lost tons of money.

Brady Quinn won't slip that far, but there is about a 33% chance he could slip into the bottom of the top ten. Possibly to Miami, possibly farther. If that were to happen, this low offer that's guaranteed to the number one overall pick will look great, and there's no doubt that Quinn, along with Raiders owner Al Davis, knows this.

Nobody ever said Al was a stupid business man. Just senile now and detrimental to the Raiders success.

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Nobody ever said Al was a stupid business man. Just senile now and detrimental to the Raiders success.
To be honest, I think the two may go hand in hand. As many raw tools as Russell has, I think his reported laziness may bite him in the butt once he gets to the league. Personally, I'm big on work ethic and everyone says that Brady is a film room rat in the mold of Peyton Manning.

IMO, Quinn's a safer pick, Billy. He may not be the next Peyton, but there's nothing wrong with being the next McNabb.

Again, though, that's just one man's opinion.

BILLYFRED0000
04-25-2007, 06:32 PM
To be honest, I think the two may go hand in hand. As many raw tools as Russell has, I think his reported laziness may bite him in the butt once he gets to the league. Personally, I'm big on work ethic and everyone says that Brady is a film room rat in the mold of Peyton Manning.

IMO, Quinn's a safer pick, Billy. He may not be the next Peyton, but there's nothing wrong with being the next McNabb.

Again, though, that's just one man's opinion.

I agree entirely. Here is a good quote from the DMN.

College quarterbacks tested the evaluation skills of the NFL in 1999 like no other draft. There were four passers at the top of the board – Tim Couch, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb and Akili Smith – and all had a blemish.

Couch was skipping his senior season, Smith was a junior-college transfer who threw fewer than 600 major-college passes, McNabb ran too much in college (465 times), and Culpepper came from a small school (Central Florida). All were scrutinized.

On draft day, Couch went first overall to the Cleveland Browns, McNabb second to the Philadelphia Eagles, Smith third to the Cincinnati Bengals and Culpepper 11th to the Minnesota Vikings.

Eight years later, Couch and Smith are out of the NFL. McNabb has been to five Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl. Culpepper has won two NFC passing titles, been to three Pro Bowls and taken his team to an NFC title game. Culpepper and McNabb shared a trait in their backgrounds that Couch and Smith lacked – both were four-year starters in college.

McNabb started 49 games at Syracuse and Culpepper 44 at Central Florida. They saw all that college defenses had to offer. The more snaps you take, the more passes you throw, the better prepared a college quarterback will be for the NFL. There will be fewer surprises at the next level.

So don't undersell Brady Quinn in the 2007 NFL draft.

Brady was a 4 year starter with 46 starts.

BILLYFRED0000
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Quinn also spent the last two years operating the NFL-style offense of Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, the former offensive coordinator of the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

So Quinn spent his last two seasons making the same reads, calling the same audibles and throwing the same passes as Tom Brady. He leaves South Bend as Notre Dame's all-time leading passer.

Quinn may not be the best player in the 2007 NFL draft. But he may be the safest pick.

big daddy russ
04-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Quinn also spent the last two years operating the NFL-style offense of Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, the former offensive coordinator of the three-time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

So Quinn spent his last two seasons making the same reads, calling the same audibles and throwing the same passes as Tom Brady. He leaves South Bend as Notre Dame's all-time leading passer.

Quinn may not be the best player in the 2007 NFL draft. But he may be the safest pick.
I couldn't agree more.

On second thought, he's the safest pick out of the QB's. ;) I still like LaRon Landry, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, and Calvin Johnson better, but think that only Peterson will have a similar impact on any given game.