PDA

View Full Version : Donations needed!!!

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
With that huge scare we received today, we are gonna need to have a HUGE donation drive - ASAP!!!

We are discussing how to get payments in b/c there might be a problem with the PayPal donation link.

Keep checking back in for more details. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up!

Fotbol
04-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
With that huge scare we received today, we are gonna need to have a HUGE donation drive - ASAP!!!

We are discussing how to get payments in b/c there might be a problem with the PayPal donation link.

Keep checking back in for more details. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up! Will U take the Lone Star Card??, I'm financially embarrassed!

GOFOR2
04-24-2007, 02:46 PM
If I donate a large enough amount, can I be a moderator?

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Will U take the Lone Star Card??, I'm financially embarrassed!

LOL. I'll check with the Matt's ;)

Hell even if everyone that is a member could donate just $1 that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

AP Panther Fan
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
I have mailed him a check before and will do it again. Sounds like it might need to be for a bit more this time...:thinking:

Will be good to hear what the plan is.

Ranger Mom
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
We have been extremely fortunate in the past to have gotten by with very little money spent to host the downlow and keep us in the bandwidth in which it needs to run smoothly.

(I don't know how many of you remember 4 or 5 years ago when it was SO hard to get on Friday nights because of the traffic)!

Anyway, our luck with the server may be running out due to job changes and just the old "all good things must come to an end" adage .....I think we have taken this place for granted for a long time.....but unless we dig deep....it may be "no more"!!

crzyjournalist03
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
How much money are we talking about? Hundreds? a thousand???

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I have mailed him a check before and will do it again. Sounds like it might need to be for a bit more this time...:thinking:

Will be good to hear what the plan is.

Will be happy to share "the plan" when we know. Right now, we are kind flying by the seat of our pants. :D Hopefully, Matt Admin and/or Matt328 can get on here tonight and fill us in.

JasperDog94
04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe we could let PPHSfan buy a "get out of jail free" card.:D Or any of the old Rommies for that matter.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Maybe we could let PPHSfan buy a "get out of jail free" card.:D

ROFL! :D

Ranger Mom
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe we could let PPHSfan buy a "get out of jail free" card.:D

:thinking: Hmmmmmm!!

I wonder if we can charge to reverse rommings!!

JasperDog94
04-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I wonder if we can charge to reverse rommings!! You're the mod. Make it so #1.;)

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 02:59 PM

I wonder if we can charge to reverse rommings!!

LOL now there is an idea :thinking:

crzyjournalist03
04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
LOL now there is an idea :thinking:

if we do that, it should be on a progressive scale...for members who have been rommed more than once, their fee should grow exponentially!

eagles_victory
04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
i think if your going to ask for money from the posters in turn the downlow should be more open to suggestions and not be so communist/facist in its leadership

crzyjournalist03
04-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i think if your going to ask for money from the posters in turn the downlow should be more open to suggestions and not be so communist/facist in its leadership

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
04-24-2007, 03:03 PM

Thank you for your suggestion....we will consider it!

Shoud we charge you double since you been rommed before???:thinking: :thinking:

JasperDog94
04-24-2007, 03:04 PM
i think if your going to ask for money from the posters in turn the downlow should be more open to suggestions and not be so communist/facist in its leadership Your suggestion has been duly noted.

crzyjournalist03
04-24-2007, 03:04 PM

:D :clap: :cheerl:

AP Panther Fan
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Your suggestion has been duly noted.

lol....NOT!:D

LH Panther Mom
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
i think if your going to ask for money from the posters in turn the downlow should be more open to suggestions and not be so communist/facist in its leadership Or maybe we could be MORESO for "some". :p

JasperDog94
04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
lol....NOT!:D Sure it has. It has been noted. Not necessarily put into practice, but noted.;)

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Thank you for your suggestion....we will consider it! ROFL! :devil:

CenTexSports
04-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Maybe it is time for a major change. The new banner should probably read:

3A Downlow (presented by TexasPrepInsider)

eagles_victory
04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
ROFL! :devil: sorry for the suggestion Mussoleni

JasperDog94
04-24-2007, 03:17 PM
sorry for the suggestion Mussoleni I'm curious to know what suggestions you're talking about.

Ranger Mom
04-24-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm curious why he called Rita Mussolini simply for posting "ROFL"!

I didn't think Mussolini was really a happy person!!:p

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 03:24 PM
sorry for the suggestion Mussoleni who? It is Mussolini, by the way. :tongue:

Ranger Mom
04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
who? It is Mussolini, by the way. :tongue:

He was a close ally of Adolf Hitler!!:rolleyes:

DaHop72
04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
i think if your going to ask for money from the posters in turn the downlow should be more open to suggestions and not be so communist/facist in its leadership :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
He was a close ally of Adolf Hitler!!:rolleyes: LOL. No, I know who Mussolini is I've never heard of Mussoleni :D

Maroon87
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Keep checking back in for more details. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up!

I'd have donated long before now but either the link is screwed up or my PayPal account is screwed up. Maybe both.:thinking:

smustangs
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
let us know what we need to do

Ranger Mom
04-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
let us know what we need to do

We will let yall know as soon as we do.....right now, we are all as clueless as the rest!:crazy1: :crazy1:

sinton66
04-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
If I donate a large enough amount, can I be a moderator?

Depends on WHO you donate it to. :D

sinton66
04-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator will let us know when/if we need to raise more money. For now, I believe everything's cool. The outage was a router problem and a DS3 link problem where our server is housed. (See Admin's announcement at the top of the page) It was rumored to have been caused by a fiber cable cut between Houston and Beaumont.

We access a DS3 connection, so we have plenty of bandwidth, and so far our host isn't charging us anything for it. In that respect, we can't complain too much about an outage once in a blue moon. The only reason we should ever have to raise a BUNCH of money fast is if we needed to pay someone to host us. We're fairly confident that won't happen in the near future. Someday it may come to pass, but we are safe at least for a couple of years.

Old Tiger
04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Administrator will let us know when/if we need to raise more money. For now, I believe everything's cool. The outage was a router problem and a DS3 link problem where our server is housed. (See Admin's announcement at the top of the page) It was rumored to have been caused by a fiber cable cut between Houston and Beaumont.

We access a DS3 connection, so we have plenty of bandwidth, and so far our host isn't charging us anything for it. In that respect, we can't complain too much about an outage once in a blue moon. The only reason we should ever have to raise a BUNCH of money fast is if we needed to pay someone to host us. We're fairly confident that won't happen in the near future. Someday it may come to pass, but we are safe at least for a couple of years. You speak the truth as the administrator just did.

charlesrixey
04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
whew!

i leave for a little while and look what happens!;)

and what's going on with Matt at his job?

jason
04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
i think if your going to ask for money from the posters in turn the downlow should be more open to suggestions and not be so communist/facist in its leadership that might not be the best way to word it, but its a good idea...

whenever there is a 'board decision' that has to be made, let all the mods vote on it, and then let there be a 'donating member' vote that counts as 1 vote towards it...

the way it looks now is like 'give us money so we can run the board our way, and you have no say in any of the decisions, what we says goes'

charlesrixey
04-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by jason
that might not be the best way to word it, but its a good idea...

whenever there is a 'board decision' that has to be made, let all the mods vote on it, and then let there be a 'donating member' vote that counts as 1 vote towards it...

the way it looks now is like 'give us money so we can run the board our way, and you have no say in any of the decisions, what we says goes'

i don't mind the way things are now, but that is a good point

sinton66
The donations are voluntary. No one is forcing anybody to contribute.

charlesrixey
would that make it

'taxation without representation?'

:thinking:;) :rolleyes:

sinton66
04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
would that make it

'taxation without representation?'

:thinking:;) :rolleyes:

see the post above yours.

charlesrixey
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
see the post above yours.

i know

i was just kidding!

:)

that, and i drove through DC recently and it reminded me of their license plates!

Old Tiger
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
The donations are voluntary. No one is forcing anybody to contribute. If nobody contributed though we couldn't have the things we have so therefore IMO the people who do contribute should have a say so in all decisions made and count as 1 vote.

charlesrixey
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
fallacious reasoning, tiger

then someone could argue that their 100$ was worth more than someone else's 5$

so, unless we make a bicameral legislative body and a oligopoly at president, i think it would be best to stick with what we have now

maybe we could have some kind of tenure system?

Old Tiger
04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
fallacious reasoning, tiger

then someone could argue that their 100$ was worth more than someone else's 5$

so, unless we make a bicameral legislative body and a oligopoly at president, i think it would be best to stick with what we have now

maybe we could have some kind of tenure system? What would it matter all the votes together will count as just one vote on the final ballot of the "thing" trying to be passed so they are considered all the same.

sinton66
04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Casey,
If you donate to Red Cross or the American Cancer Society or the Boy/Girl Scouts of America or to your church, do you get to tell them how to run the place?

Emerson1
04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes. They listen to suggestions. If enough of the donators thought there was a problem something would be changed.

sinton66
04-24-2007, 10:14 PM
So do we when they have any merit..

Diocletian
04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
well I enjoy this board enough to "pay" some to keep it going.......but i'd never pay just post here-like if it became a pay only site or somthing-

anyways my understanding is that donations are voluntary.. is there a treasurer or somthing that can tell us what a decent amount of donation we could make to contribute to the boards' longevity?

mustang59
04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Here is how most organizations work: If you take money for "membership" then the members get a vote. If someone is just making a donation then they don't get a vote.
Let me say that I think the mods on here do a great job. They seem to be fair about letting people speak their minds but step in when they're needed.

charlesrixey
04-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
Here is how most organizations work: If you take money for "membership" then the members get a vote. If someone is just making a donation then they don't get a vote.
Let me say that I think the mods on here do a great job. They seem to be fair about letting people speak their minds but step in when they're needed.

good post, mustang

sinton66
04-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
well I enjoy this board enough to "pay" some to keep it going.......but i'd never pay just post here-like if it became a pay only site or somthing-

anyways my understanding is that donations are voluntary.. is there a treasurer or somthing that can tell us what a decent amount of donation we could make to contribute to the boards' longevity?

Not really, Administrator maintains a 3ADown Low bank account to handle the expenses of the board. The donations go directly into that account. The act of donating and the amount given are individual choices of the donor. Any amount is appreciated. $1.00 is fine. There are some that will send $25-$50-$75-$100 once a year. It just depends on the individual's situation and what they are comfortable with. Donations have been used to pay the expenses of keeping the domain and to purchase our own server, new software, and the chat room software. All we promised in return for donations was a better board and that there will never be a "membership fee" on 3A Down Low.

Old Dog
04-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Would the administrator just give us a mailing address and some of us will send in a donation to help things along. That's been done before.

mustang59
04-24-2007, 10:32 PM
good post, mustang
Thanks! Can you tell I'm involved with non-profit orgs? LOL

sinton66
04-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Would the administrator just give us a mailing address and some of us will send in a donation to help things along. That's been done before.

He usually does post it when the funds get low. I don't think there's a huge immediate need. He usually alerts me when we need to ask for donations. If you'd like to donate by mail anyway, just pm "Administrator" (member#1) and I'm sure he will give you the address. He stays pretty busy, so it may take a while to get an answer.

sinton66
04-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Ah, I just did a search for it and found it. The address (if it hasn't changed) is:

3A Down Low Donations
PO BOX 121
Bridge City, TX 77611

Old Dog
04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks 66 !

Old Tiger
04-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Casey,
If you donate to Red Cross or the American Cancer Society or the Boy/Girl Scouts of America or to your church, do you get to tell them how to run the place? I refuse to donate to them and I'm not a member of a church due to my dads job as a young kid so we never had a church to go to year in and year out.

Fotbol
04-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Shoud we charge you double since you been rommed before???:thinking: :thinking: Hell to the Naw, if you charge people for being Romed, hell that will be x10....carry the 1x PIE squared 3.14......Hell NO I will have to take out a second Mortgage if we have to pay for the amount of times a person has been romed:D

Hansum Stranger
04-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Maybe we could let PPHSfan buy a "get out of jail free" card.:D Or any of the old Rommies for that matter.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't see The King ever buying his way back unless the buying includes ownership.

olddawggreen
04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm curious why he called Rita Mussolini simply for posting "ROFL"!

I didn't think Mussolini was really a happy person!!:p

Actually Mussolini was a very happy person.... until his subjects executed him, his mistress and some of his henchmen:eek: :eek:

Ranger Mom
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Actually Mussolini was a very happy person.... until his subjects executed him, his mistress and some of his henchmen:eek: :eek:

Maybe so.....but was he "ROFL happy"??:p

Maroon87
04-25-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't understand all the hand-wringing. If you want to donate, do it. If you don't, then don't. If you donate and then screw up and get ROM'd, then it sucks for you. So don't screw up. It's called protecting your investment.;)

Ranger Mom
04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I don't understand all the hand-wringing. If you want to donate, do it. If you don't, then don't. If you donate and then screw up and get ROM'd, then it sucks for you. So don't screw up. It's called protecting your investment.;)

You know how it is.....some people just find an excuse to piss and moan about everything!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phil C
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM

What eagles mean is let's love soccer more. :)

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 09:26 AM
You know how it is.....some people just find an excuse to piss and moan about everything!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Indeed :rolleyes: :bigcry:

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Indeed :rolleyes: :bigcry:
Not enough of these.... :p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bigcry: :bigcry: :weeping:

olddawggreen
04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe so.....but was he "ROFL happy"??:p

Not sure about that. His wife might have been ROLF happy the way it all turned out.
Mussolini decided to try to escape Italy with his mistress instead of his wife, therefor when they were captured, it was his mistress that got executed with him and not his wife. :eek: The wife was spared. :D Justice was served:)

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 11:24 AM
funny thing all the people making "suggestions" are either ex-rommies and/or have not donated :hand:

Ranger Mom
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
funny thing all the people making "suggestions" are either ex-rommies and/or have not donated :hand:

Of course...they are always the "squeakist wheel"!!

Hansum Stranger
04-25-2007, 01:37 PM

I've personally never seen a reason to donate. It's a message board. Nothing more, nothing less.

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
I've personally never seen a reason to donate. It's a message board. Nothing more, nothing less. To YOU maybe, but obviously it means much more to many of us. :) Maybe too much :thinking: We are looking into a 12 step program. :D

Ranger Mom
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
To YOU maybe, but obviously it means much more to many of us. :) Maybe too much :thinking: We are looking into a 12 step program. :D

If it keeps the chat going, the board running smoothly, then I am all for it.

This board is obviously a bigger part of some our lives than it is to others.

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
It's a message board. Nothing more, nothing less. IMO, to some it means more than others, even to some who won't admit it. Otherwise, rommed members wouldn't worry about finding creative ways of reregistering with a new name. :D

Ranger Mom
04-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
IMO, to some it means more than others, even to some who won't admit it. Otherwise, rommed members wouldn't worry about finding creative ways of reregistering with a new name. :D

Ohhhhh...........BURNNNN!!!!! *sizzle*

Good one LHPM!!

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Ohhhhh...........BURNNNN!!!!! *sizzle*

Good one LHPM!! I thought you might like it. :D

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
IMO, to some it means more than others, even to some who won't admit it. Otherwise, rommed members wouldn't worry about finding creative ways of reregistering with a new name. :D

OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evillol: :evillol:

Hansum Stranger
04-25-2007, 02:11 PM

Maybe the rom'd one's just want to get back on to get under someone's skin. Beside's, it's probably more fun to jack with a dictatorship than just be a soldier for one.

Ranger Mom
04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Maybe the rom'd one's just want to get back on to get under someone's skin. Beside's, it's probably more fun to jack with a dictatorship than just be a soldier for one.

*Insert little shifty eye'd smilie from the chat here*

How come I can't find that smilie anywhere else but there??

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Well that can easily be fixed since it means more to us than you. :)

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Well that can easily be fixed since it means more to us than you. :) Yep........wanna draw straws?

Hansum Stranger
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Well that can easily be fixed since it means more to us than you. :)

Yep........wanna draw straws?

Threats. :rolleyes: If one of you see something that needs fixed, then fix it.

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
:wave: :wave: Nice knowing ya!! :)

Hansum Stranger
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
:wave: :wave: Nice knowing ya!! :)

Was it really?

pirate4state
04-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Sure, why not? *shrug*