PDA

View Full Version : sing it already

DU_stud04
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
ive noticed something.... ive been to hundreds +++ of games in my short life time and they all start the same way. with the national anthem. besides hearing the band, recording of it or 3-4 people (who are usually the older people) in the stands.....no one sings it. do we not know our own anthem? are we scared to sing out loud? for people to proclaim themselfs proud to be american, ive never understood why people dont sing.

just now before the stars game, they played both anthems, canada's and usa's....and i have never heard that many people singing along with the main guy leading everyone, the whole crowd sang with pride.(obviously for canada's NA)

blah.

carter08
04-23-2007, 08:36 PM
our anthem is badly dated

we need something with pizzaz

injuredinmelee
04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by carter08
our anthem is badly dated

we need something with pizzaz

HUH??? WHy do we need that? Would it have more meaning if we added some bass and repeated the same line 50896709 times so the idiots that listen to it can remember it?

mustang59
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
The national anthem is simply too hard for most people to sing. The average person doesn't have the voice range and they're too embarrassed to try it.

Emerson1
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
That is the problem, people change it up and try to make it sound better. The crowd can't sing along when people are adding 16 syllables to each word.

kepdawg
04-23-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't have any problem with the Star Spangled Banner, but I think America the Beautiful would be a better anthem. Of course, that probably makes me unAmerican!

piratebg
04-23-2007, 09:24 PM
I'll sing it at games, but yeah I've noticed that some people either don't sing it or appear to don't even know the words. I remember my senior year my sister was part of the schools news broadcast and got the idea to take a video camera around the school and ask anyone/everyone what the first line of our alma mater was. The name of the song is "Maroon and White". Everyone got that question right. What they didn't seem to know is that the first line of the song is "Maroon and White". Only a handful knew. I wonder what would have happened if she turned it around it did that with the Star Spangled Banner? :thinking:

Bull19
04-23-2007, 09:57 PM
THE PROBLEM WITH OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM IS THAT IT ISNT ONE,,,THE SONG I BOUT PART OF A BATTLE OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION,,,,,,OUR COUNTRY'S NATIONAL ANTHEM SHOULD BE GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

LH Panther Mom
04-23-2007, 10:52 PM
I always sing The National Anthem. When it gets to the high parts, I sing an octave lower. Heck, I don't have the best singing voice, but I'm certainly not ashamed to be heard.

carter08
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
THE PROBLEM WITH OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM IS THAT IT ISNT ONE,,,THE SONG I BOUT PART OF A BATTLE OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION,,,,,,OUR COUNTRY'S NATIONAL ANTHEM SHOULD BE GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

War of 1812

pirate4state
04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I always sing The National Anthem. When it gets to the high parts, I sing an octave lower. Heck, I don't have the best singing voice, but I'm certainly not ashamed to be heard.

I sing, badly, but I will always sing The National Anthem. I'll even sing it in my living room while watching sporting events. :) I think it is a beautiful song and 9 times out of 10 I will cry at the end. Sue me!!

vet93
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
ditto

Originally posted by pirate4state
I sing, badly, but I will always sing The National Anthem. I'll even sing it in my living room while watching sporting events. :) I think it is a beautiful song and 9 times out of 10 I will cry at the end. Sue me!!

DU_stud04
04-24-2007, 04:54 PM
i sing :)

Maroon87
04-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I sing it as long as the singer isn't mangling it like has happened so often since Whitney Houston did it at the Super Bowl. Just do it the way it's written. You don't hear people going Mariah Carey on Oh Canada. :rolleyes:

DU_stud04
04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
i forgot which sporting event it was, it was about a week ago.... the singer(man i feel bad for her) she squeaked about 4 times singing it. very noticeable, everyone cringed each time.