PDA

View Full Version : NY bans metal bats for high schools.

JasperDog94
04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
NEW YORK - Metal bats will be banned in high school baseball starting this September in the nation's largest school system after the City Council on Monday overrode a mayoral veto of the bill.
ADVERTISEMENT

The measure outlaws metal bats under the theory that they produce harder and faster hits, risking injury to young players who have less time to react. Opponents, who include Little League Baseball and sporting goods makers, say there is no evidence metal bats are more dangerous.

Youth leagues and lawmakers are proposing similar bans in other areas, including New Jersey, where a 12-year-old boy went into cardiac arrest and suffered serious injuries after a batted ball struck him in the chest.

In New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg vetoed the bat ban earlier this month, saying the issue should be left up to those who run the youth leagues, not the government. But the City Council overwhelmingly knocked down the veto by a vote of 41-4.

"What we're trying to do is reduce risk," said Councilmember James Oddo, the sponsor of the bill.

Opponents argue that there is no scientific evidence proving metal bats pose a greater danger than wooden bats, and that the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes over concrete data. Some have said they plan to challenge the matter in court.

In 2005, an American Legion Baseball study found no substantial scientific proof to support the argument that wooden bats are safer than metal bats.

JasperDog94
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
It looks like they went through with it. I guess the city council knows more than the coaches or players....or the scientific studies that have been done.

Thanks Big Brother.:mad: :mad: :mad:

sahen
04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
someone should sue the city council....im pretty sure u could find a judge that would agree to the fact that the city council should be doing something other than telling kids to play with metal bats or not.....

on another note....im sure most new york city schools play against each other for most of the year, but on the occasion that the school plays a school from another city what will they do? you cant make another school use wooden bats when they have never played with them, talk about an unfair advantage...

Emerson1
04-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't see how they think that a player would be able to react faster if a wooden bat is used. It will still get to the pitcher in a fraction of a second, and will still break a face in.

Macarthur
04-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't see how they think that a player would be able to react faster if a wooden bat is used. It will still get to the pitcher in a fraction of a second, and will still break a face in.

There is a difference. I don't give a darn what the American Legion says. That fraction of a second can be crucial.

Let me say, I wish everyone would do away with metal bats, but I'm not in favor of the way this went down.

The problem is that I suspect many of these leagues are supported by sponsorship from the manufacturers of these bats. So, if you follow the money.....Bingo, what do you know, we can find no evidence that wooden bats are safer. ;)

JasperDog94
04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
There is a difference. I don't give a darn what the American Legion says. That fraction of a second can be crucial.

Let me say, I wish everyone would do away with metal bats, but I'm not in favor of the way this went down.

The problem is that I suspect many of these leagues are supported by sponsorship from the manufacturers of these bats. So, if you follow the money.....Bingo, what do you know, we can find no evidence that wooden bats are safer. ;) Then that's the route that the city council should have taken. Not this "we're doing it for the kids" crap.

Man, I really wish the government would do the job it was intended to do.:mad:

Rabbit'93
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

The problem is that I suspect many of these leagues are supported by sponsorship from the manufacturers of these bats. So, if you follow the money.....Bingo, what do you know, we can find no evidence that wooden bats are safer. ;) So what happens when metal bats are banned and a kid still gets hurt/killed? What do we do then? Change to SafeTBalls? Tell the pitcher only throw changeups and breaking stuff?

I'm telling you accidents are still going to happen...what do we do then?

carter08
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
good move

metal bats are un-american

BullFrog Dad
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
This is great news! I wish everyone would go to wood. With metal bats anybody goes yard, with wood only the real power hitters do. That's why there are so many 3ADL members against wood bats. Without metal bats they revert back to the girly slap hitters they really are.

Rabbit'93
04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
This is great news! I wish everyone would go to wood. With metal bats anybody goes yard, with wood only the real power hitters do. That's why there are so many 3ADL members against wood bats. Without metal bats they revert back to the girly slap hitters they really are. My argument is primarily the fact that no matter what material a bat is made of, if the ball is thrown at XXmph and the bat speed is XX mph, the ball is just as dangerous coming off the bat. Kids are faster and stronger these days and banning metal will not stop accidents. A ball cracking a pitchers noggin @ 98mph is just as bad @ 95, don't you think. :confused: