PDA

View Full Version : Best All Time NFL 1st Rd. Draft Picks

TheDOCTORdre
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
ALL TIME 1st ROUND PICKS (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsYoNKBAew_.yLa_Q.iyxE45nYcB?slug=cr-bestfirstroundpicks042307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) for the whole story

1. John Elway, QB, Baltimore Colts (1983)
Many apologies to Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning. Manning might take this spot before it's all over, but Elway gets the nod for having the ultimate mix of credentials: arm strength, clutch play, toughness and statistics. Not to mention the fact that he never had the dominant defenses provided Bradshaw and Aikman. Elway's five Super Bowl appearances are still plenty impressive, particularly the back-to-back championship wins. He hung up his cleats with one more Super Bowl run likely left in him, too. And while he never actually played for the Colts, that doesn't mean they didn't take the right guy.

2. Lawrence Taylor, LB, New York Giants (1981)
Marshall Faulk has a legitimate claim to this spot, but Taylor still resonates as perhaps the most feared defensive player in the history of the league. He had speed, strength, and intimidation, and was one of the few defensive players consistently capable of making a game-deciding play. His off-the-field issues leave a slight tarnish on his legacy, but even that can't stand in the way of him being considered the best No. 2 pick ever.

3. Barry Sanders, RB, Detroit Lions (1989)
Simeon Rice, Anthony Munoz and Steve McNair deserve honorable mention, but Sanders will likely never be duplicated when it comes to his combination of shiftiness and pure running ability. He was by no means a complete running back, but he was the definition of a player who could break an 80-yard touchdown under any circumstances. And he likely would still hold the league's all-time rushing mark if he hadn't unexpectedly retired in the latter stages of his prime.

4. Walter Payton, RB, Chicago Bears (1975)
Derrick Thomas and Jonathan Ogden get plenty of consideration, but Payton defined toughness at his position – not to mention the city he represented. He set the bar for complete backs with his ability to run, catch and block. And his style mixed power, athleticism and speed. He won a Super Bowl, retired as the league's all-time leading rusher, and is still remembered as one of the best character guys the NFL has ever seen.

5. Deion Sanders, CB, Atlanta Falcons (1989)
Deion or LaDainian Tomlinson? It's amazing that after seeing Tomlinson play only six seasons, this is already a tough choice. But for now, Sanders and his two Super Bowl rings get the honors. Cornerback might be the toughest position to play in the NFL outside of quarterback. Sanders was simply dominant in pass coverage, and a dangerous kick returner as well. His run support and flashy demeanor left something to be desired, but skill-wise he could realistically cut the field in half for opposing passing attacks.

6. Richard Seymour, DE, New England Patriots (2001)
This is bound to be a controversial selection with so many superb candidates: John Riggins, Tim Brown, Walter Jones and Torry Holt. Seymour wins out with his three Super Bowl rings, and the fact that he's been the Patriots' best defensive player during his six-year career. He isn't the sexiest pick because he hasn't loaded up on sacks while primarily playing in the 3-4 defense and then moving to defensive tackle in 4-3 sets. But he's the Tom Brady of the Patriots' defense, and he's just hit his prime. Enough said.

7. Champ Bailey, CB, Washington Redskins (1999)
Phil Simms and Troy Vincent have compelling arguments. However, Bailey now belongs in the conversation for best cornerback in history, and has done so in an era when pass-interference and illegal contact rules put his position at an extreme disadvantage. He's arguably the only true "shutdown" cornerback left in the NFL, and it has become absurd to throw in his direction in the red zone.

8. Ronnie Lott, S, San Francisco 49ers (1981)
Willie Roaf and Mike Munchak deserve a tip of the cap for being prolific at their offensive line positions. But Lott lands the honor for being the best safety in league history. He was cut in the monstrous mold of current hitters like Roy Williams and Sean Taylor, but also had the coverage abilities of Ed Reed. Lott was the complete package, and there has yet to be a safety that can approach him.

9. Bruce Matthews, OG, Houston Oilers (1983)
Brian Urlacher could take this spot before it's all over, but Matthews was one of the elite players at his position (wherever Houston put him) for a ridiculous 19 seasons. He blocked for some of the most prolific offenses in league history and landed in the Pro Bowl a record-tying 14 times.

10. Rod Woodson, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers (1987)
Another pick with plenty of candidates: guys like Jerome Bettis, Marcus Allen and Willie Anderson. Woodson was a Pro Bowler an astonishing 11 times, and a key member of the 2000 Ravens defense that might be the best in league history. A complete cornerback who could cover physical and finesse wideouts, he didn't surrender anything in run support, either. And his play didn't drop off when he was moved to safety later in his career.

11. Michael Irvin, WR, Dallas Cowboys (1988)

12. Warren Sapp, DT, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1995)

13. Franco Harris, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers (1972)

14. Jim Kelly, QB, Buffalo Bills (1983)

15. John Mobley, LB, Denver Broncos (1996)

16. Jerry Rice, WR, San Francisco 49ers (1985)

17. Emmitt Smith, RB, Dallas Cowboys (1990)

18. Art Monk, WR, Washington Redskins (1980)

19. Randall McDaniel, G, Minnesota Vikings (1988)

20. Jack Youngblood, DE, St. Louis Rams (1971)

21. Lynn Swann, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers (1974)

22. Andre Rison, WR, Indianapolis Colts (1989)

23. Ozzie Newsome, TE, Cleveland Browns (1978)

24. Ed Reed, S, Baltimore Ravens (2002)

25. Ted Washington, DT, San Francisco 49ers (1991)

26. Ray Lewis, LB, Baltimore Ravens (1996)

27. Dan Marino, QB, Miami Dolphins (1983)

29. Derrick Alexander, WR, Cleveland Browns (1994)

30. Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts (2001)

31. Al Wilson, LB, Denver Broncos (1999)

32. Logan Mankins, G, New England Patriots (2005)

crzyjournalist03
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry, but there's no way Champ Bailey was a better pick than Dan Marino...

crzyjournalist03
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
:doh: I get it now...it's the best picks ever made at THAT spot in the first round of the draft...it's not rating the best first rounders...

TheDOCTORdre
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I think I'll go ahead and make a post for PhilC...

In a couple of years, Vince Young will be the best #3 pick in the draft

Emerson1
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:doh: I get it now...it's the best picks ever made at THAT spot in the first round of the draft...it's not rating the best first rounders...
It took me until pick 5 to figure that out to.

burnet44
04-26-2007, 12:58 AM
not many old guys
Bob Lilly was one Id put in the top 10

Keith7
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
how are Donovan McNabb and Peyton Manning not on this list?? they could easily replace many of the people on this list just because how valuable they are to their team and the kinds of numbers each have put up..

Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Al Wilson, and Logan Mankins (<- I've never even heard of him)

who ever made this list either drew names out of a hat or has lived in a cave for the past couple of decades

Keith7
04-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

oops I guess I should have read this reply before I replied

crzyjournalist03
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
oops I guess I should have read this reply before I replied

it's tricky!!!

burnet44
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Peyton

crzyjournalist03
04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
Peyton

No way...Peyton is great, but he's got a few more years before he reaches Elway (not to mention another ring)