PDA

View Full Version : Needville High School Fire

3aSoftball4Mom
04-23-2007, 09:13 AM
As you may have already heard, Needville High School had a fire overnight that apparently destroyed the main administration building (including offices, classrooms, computer lab, etc.). Fortunately, there were no injuries and the cause has not yet been determined.

All of the recently taken TAKS tests more than likely have been destroyed as well.
Including the Elementary & Junior High's tests.
The library, counselor's offices and science hall were part of the fire.
:( :( :(

Classes for the entire district have been cancelled for today and plans are being made to have classes resume, possibly as early as tomorrow.

Have you noticed that Needville has in the last year, a series of bad things happening in it's little town.
Please keep the Needville ISD community in your prayers this week.

Tonight's 3rd place tie-breaker game with Columbia will occur and is to be played at Alvin High School at 7pm.

44INAROW
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
That is terrible - Needville has had their share of tragedy this year :(

pirate4state
04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
:eek: wow that is ALOT of damage. That is terrible news. Luckly, no one was injured.

kaorder1999
04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
that is horrible! I believe they were to have already had the tests send wherever they were supposed to go. I would think they wouldnt still be in the building but I may be wrong!

3aSoftball4Mom
04-23-2007, 09:18 AM
The TAKS were scheduled to be picked up this morning. :(

CHS_CG
04-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I know a guy who graduated from Needville in 04. I will keep this town in my thoughts!

pirate4state
04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
If the TAKS material WAS lost what does this mean? Will those kids have to test again? :eek: :hairpunk: That would truly suck!

3aSoftball4Mom
04-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
If the TAKS material WAS lost what does this mean? Will those kids have to test again? :eek: :hairpunk: That would truly suck!

:confused:
:thinking: And do they give them the same test? I don't think that there are any different tests. and I'm sure the state is not prepared for this. Don't even know if this has ever happened.

When I hear, I'll let you know.

AP Panther Fan
04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom

Horrible news for the District and kids! I bet some students (and teachers) are freaking out over having to possibly retest after everything they went through last week.

Ray_BearKat
04-23-2007, 09:56 AM

sounds fishy...:thinking:

44INAROW
04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
maybe/hopefully the tests had been locked in the school safe and were protected from the fire...... I assume most schools have a big safe but maybe not. regardless - it is a horrible tragedy.......

3aSoftball4Mom
04-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Just heard on Channell 11 that the fire was intentionally set.
Someone broke into the school early this morning and set two fires. No suspects

All of the TAKS tests were completely burned.

Needville Softball girls are still playing in Alvin at 7:00
Keep Needville students and faculty in your thoughts and prayers.

carter08
04-23-2007, 06:17 PM
If they do have to retake the tests, I see no reason why anyone other than the 11th grade students would have to retake. It really doesn't matter for the other grades.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Agree with that Carter.

AND does the state have a different test from the ones they already took?
Anyone know if this has ever happened before? if so, what did the state do?

Hey are you going to the game?

carter08
04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Agree with that Carter.

AND does the state have a different test from the ones they already took?
Anyone know if this has ever happened before? if so, what did the state do?

Hey are you going to the game?

I was going to go, but i heard from freinds in Alvin it was raining, and combining that with fact I don't know where the HS is, I won't be making it.

I know they have retakes for the Exit Level tests, and I believe they are different from the originals

3aSoftball4Mom
04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I wanted to go, but it's a little too far for me tonight.

Hope they get the game in.

Exit tests are probably what they will use then.

Crow22
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
sounds fishy...:thinking:

Please don't start with rumors like that....we've been thru enough.

IHStangFan
04-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Just drove by on the way home. The school is still smoldering :( Looks like the majority of the town is up there standing out front, still blocked off by police, etc. I guess they are just up there rallying around one another. Heard on the news that there is a proposal to build a new HS in 2009, which makes me wonder where the kids will go to school until then. Pretty sad. If the fire was set on purpose, I hope they find whoever was responsible and deal w/ them swiftly and without mercy. :mad:

JR2004
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Played football in college with a pretty good guy from Needville. I'll be sure to say a prayer for the folks from there.

carter08
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Yea, I wonder where they will go to school

Be nice if CBISD stepped up and offered them the use of some of the old schools. I think they still own the Old Junior High. Not sure

IHStangFan
04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
anything new on this? Didn't hear anything new today as I actually had to go to work and didn't get to watch the news or go into town

3aSoftball4Mom
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
anything new on this? Didn't hear anything new today as I actually had to go to work and didn't get to watch the news or go into town

Just heard on the news (haven't heard from Needville friends yet)
A $5000. reward is being offered for the person/s who set the fire.
the HS students will go to a staggered schedule starting Monday.
TAKS test?? I caught the tail end of that and couldn't figure out if they have to take it or not. Guess I'll have to wait until 10:00

Crow22
04-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Just heard on the news (haven't heard from Needville friends yet)
A $5000. reward is being offered for the person/s who set the fire.
the sHS tudents will go to a stahhered schedile startomng Monday.
TAKS test?? I caught the tail end of that and couldn't figure out if they have to take it or not. Guess I'll have to wait until 10:00

How much have you had to drink? ....lol.....

We are going to a staggered schedule to make do for the rest of the year. Its a logistical nightmare and our administrators have done an INCREDIBLE job putting a plan in place. This is a gigantic hurdle that we have to clear but we're doing the best we can. The person or persons responsible for this WILL be caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Crow22
How much have you had to drink? ....lol.....

We are going to a staggered schedule to make do for the rest of the year. Its a logistical nightmare and our administrators have done an INCREDIBLE job putting a plan in place. This is a gigantic hurdle that we have to clear but we're doing the best we can. The person or persons responsible for this WILL be caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Looks like a lot!!:D I don't drink, but it looks like I was having some fun!!!
Thanks for interprating my post. (my keyboard letters are starting to stick and some of the letters are not typing, it can't keep up with my oh so fast fingers):D :D :crazy1:
Can you answer the question about TAKS tests?

Crow22
04-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Looks like a lot!!:D I don't drink, but it looks like I was having some fun!!!
Thanks for interprating my post. (my keyboard letters are starting to stick and some of the letters are not typing, it can't keep up with my oh so fast fingers):D :D :crazy1:
Can you answer the question about TAKS tests?

We're not sure what will happen with the TAKS tests. More than likely the state will make the juniors take them again. Not sure about the rest.

Centextrash
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I know a guy who graduated from Needville in 04. I will keep this town in my thoughts!

Who is that?

I might know him!

IHStangFan
04-24-2007, 11:38 PM
this just in from Needville......I hear through the local grapevine....school security cameras got a license plate number of a car driving away from the scene at 3am.....evidently three GIRLS involved, etc. etc. SUPPOSEDLY enough evidence against them....they are to be arrested tomorrow morning. Keep in mind, this is fresh off the local rumor mill, and nothing more.....guess we'll have to wait and see.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
school security cameras got a license plate number of a car driving away from the scene at 3am.....evidently three GIRLS involved, etc. etc.

hmmmmmmm. :thinking: Interesting.
If they are underage(which they prob are) will we ever hear names?

burnet44
04-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Fort Bend County Fire Marshal Vance Cooper Tuesday morning confirmed his office is "working on" reports that keys were stolen last week in a break-in at Needville High School, which burned Monday.

"Entry was gained into the building through one of the doors and they used a brick - a chunk of cement - to break the door and get through," he said.

The blaze broke out at about 3 a.m. Monday and completely destroyed the original portion of the school, which was constructed in 1947.

When asked if he has any suspects in the case, which has been ruled arson, Cooper said, "Yes and no. Everybody is a suspect."

He said at this point, present and past students and staff members are all considered suspects.

Cooper also said the school had security cameras, but the campus' IT system was destroyed in the fire, "so we're working on a follow-up on that as well."

He said members of the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Texas Rangers remained on hand Tuesday, as well as firefighters who were making sure to stop any flare-ups before they rekindled a full-fledged blaze.

"We found two points of origin: one in the administration area ... and a second in the science wing, which was built in '86, with an addition in '96," Cooper reported. "The original building was totally destroyed and I would say there was moderate damage in the science wing."

The annex was not damaged, and the campus' new two-story building may have received minor damage to an outside wall, Cooper said.

"Definitely, the fire walls did their job," he said. "They contained the fire and slowed the spread of it."

The Needville Fire Department received the first call of the fire at about 3:15 a.m. Monday and firefighters were dispatched five minutes later. They arrived on the scene at 3:25 a.m. and were assisted by 30 other fire departments from throughout the area..

The 17 rooms in the original section of the high school, including classrooms, administration offices, the nurse's office, a work room, conference room and computer lab, were completely destroyed.

Cooper said the type of construction at the high school is typical of any rural area in the state with a water well and septic system. For that reason, tanker trucks from various fire departments were dumping water into an on-site temporary tank set up by the Needville Fire Department so pumper trucks could draw from the source.

Cooper said the lack of fire hydrants "didn't help the fire department to be able to extinguish the fire quicker," but neither did it cause the blaze or the destruction of the school. Fire hydrants are simply not located outside city limits, he reiterated.

The facilities that will be built to replace those lost will be equipped with sprinkler systems, as required by law, Cooper said.

"But if I want to burn, I can turn all the systems off and I can still set the fire and burn the building down," he added.

Needville ISD Superintendent Curtis Rhodes said administration officials met Monday morning and the school board met that evening. Two student meetings have been scheduled for Thursday as well. Freshmen and sophomores will meet with school officials at 9 a.m. Thursday in the high school gym to review class schedules for the remainder of the year. Juniors and seniors will meet at 10:30 a.m.

Both Rhodes and school board president Jim Kocian said class schedules will resemble those of a college, with students taking certain classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and others on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Kocian also said electives will continue to be offered, and extracurricular activities will continue as well.

There will, however, be no high school classes the remainder of this week, with the new schedule set to begin on Monday. Students in grades prekindergarten through eight did not have school Monday, but are continuing their classes as usual Tuesday and will do so throughout the remainder of the school year.

Kocian said Lamar CISD's offer of the use of its facilities "is greatly appreciated," but NISD school officials want to keep the students at their home campus if at all possible, where "the two-story building and the annex are operational."

"Lamar's outpouring of generosity is so very appreciated, not only by the school board, but also by the students and the community," he added. "As long as our students come in half-days, we meet the state requirements."

Kocian said the school district also appreciates the "heroic efforts" by the firefighters from all the fire departments who responded to battle the blaze.

"We thank the Needville fire chief for the wonderful job he and his volunteer fire department did - and all the fire departments who helped," Kocian added. "I mean, how much gratitude can you express to thank all the fire departments that responded? Everybody did a wonderful job. And also the outpouring from the community was just unreal. Everybody was just so wonderful and caring and supportive, you just can't thank people enough."

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call Cooper's office at 281-238-1500 or Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers at 281-342-TIPS (8477). Cooper said the caller's identity will remain anonymous.

burnet44
04-25-2007, 12:19 AM
http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/needvillefire_070423/images/006.jpg

http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/needvillefire_070423/images/009.jpg

http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/needvillefire_070423/images/011.jpg

http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/needvillefire_070423/images/013.jpg

3aSoftball4Mom
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Sad......so very sad.:( :(
burnet44
Thanks for the news article and pictures.

burnet44
04-25-2007, 12:44 AM
no problem sh

mine will be throwing against the 2 Sealy girls on Friday

3aSoftball4Mom
04-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
no problem sh

:confused:
In the discus? Amber & Jill??

Good luck to yours. :) Hope she does well!!

Crow22
04-25-2007, 06:53 AM
If you guys will go to youtube.com and search "Needville High School" one of my students has put together an amazing tribute to the school. The pictures are some that you will not see on the news. Its truly moving.

CHS_CG
04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Who is that?

I might know him!

Eric Thayne

In 2003 Needville and Caldwell high school bands were both takin trips to Orlando... We happened to be stopped at the same store/Mcdonalds for lunch and he came and sat with us and started talkin to us.. b4 we left he had wrote down his email addy and name.. been in contract every once in a while since then. Strange thing but hes a pretty nice guy.

IHStangFan
04-25-2007, 12:19 PM
so I wonder if my taxes will go up now to build a new school....stupid *ss kids don't think of such things.....the person who set the fire didn't seem to be doing any kind of thinking what so ever.....:mad:

burnet44
04-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
no problem sh

yeah I hope so too