PDA

View Full Version : Phil...exciting Big 12 Tennis news

Adidas410s
04-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Texas Tech Upsets No. 7 Oklahoma State

April 22, 2007

LUBBOCK, Texas - Recovering from a disappointing loss to No. 4 Baylor last weekend, the Texas Tech men's tennis team pulled off their biggest upset of the season taking down the No. 7 ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys 4-3. Tech improves to 13-8, 2-3 in Big 12, as Oklahoma State, 15-2 overall, suffered their first conference loss.

Doubles play began a bit shaky for the Red Raiders as the senior duo of Teddy DiBlasi and Dimitrio Martinez couldn't pull ahead of OSU's Ivan Puchkarov and Dymtro Petrov, losing the first match 8-3. However, the No. 59 ranked pair of Christian Rojmar and Bojan Szumanski were able to find a win at No. 1, tying up the score at one all.

Down 7-2 on the No. 2 doubles court, sophomores Michael Breler and Sinisa Markovic made an amazing comeback for the Raiders, winning seven games straight to pull out ahead 9-7 over OSU's Artie Burmistrau and Nathan Byrnes. The win by Breler and Markovic clinched the doubles point for Tech for the second time this season against a top 10 Big 12 opponent, with the first being against Baylor last weekend.

With the momentum in the favor of the Red Raiders, things heated up in singles competition. TTU's Rojmar found his first conference win playing at No. 5 beating OSU senior Burmistrau, 6-3, 6-1, handing Burmistrau his first Big 12 loss. The Cowboys quickly answered as the No. 30 ranked freshman Oleksandr Nedovyesov improved to 4-0 in Big 12 over Tech's No. 42 Szumanski, 6-1, 6-4.

At No. 3, OSU's Petrov also suffered his first conference loss at the hands of Tech's Markovic, 6-3, 6-1, who improves to 14-2 overall, 5-0 in conference. The Cowboys refused to go down without a fight as TTU's Breler was left still unable to secure a singles Big 12 win, losing 6-4, 6-4, to senior Daniel Byrnes.

With the deciding point on the line, the fate of the match rested on the No. 2 and 6 courts. On cue, Red Raider senior captain Dimitrio Martinez pulled off back-to-back upsets over ranked opponents, taking down OSU's No. 26 Ivan Puchkarov 8-6 in the second set tiebreaker. Recently ranked No. 104 nationally, Martinez leaves McLeod Tennis Center flawless this season with an 8-0 record at home, 13-4 overall, 3-2 in conference.

"I knew this match was big and it was getting really close, and that I needed to win for my team," exclaimed Martinez. "We've been working and fighting really hard, and this is the moment we have been waiting for."

Head Coach Tim Siegel was able to breath a sigh of relief as he felt this was just the win his team needed heading into the Big 12 Championships.

"I could not have possibly written a better script for my seniors," said Coach Siegel. "Dimitrio beat a guy who was ranked top five earlier in the year, and clinched the match against a team that is ranked seventh in the country. Everyone really came together today and contributed on and off the court, and I couldn't be prouder because this team is really incredible."

One last Big 12 match awaits the Red Raiders as they also travel early to Kansas City, Mo., to take on Oklahoma in a match that was postponed Friday due to windy conditions. For more information and complete results, visit www.texastech.com.

#40 Texas Tech, 4
#7 Oklahoma State, 3

Doubles: 3, 1, 2*
1. #59 Rojmar/Szumanski (TTU) def. D. Byrnes/Nedovyesov (OSU), 8-4
2. Breler/Markovic (TTU) def. Burmistrau/N. Byrnes (OSU), 9-7
3. Puchkarov/Petrov (OSU) def. DiBlasi/Martinez (TTU), 8-3

Singles: 5, 1, 3, 4, 2*, 6
1. #30 Oleksandr Nedovyesov (OSU) def. #42 Bojan Szumanski (TTU), 6-1, 6-4
2. #104 Dimitrio Martinez (TTU) def. #26 Ivan Puchkarov (OSU), 6-4, 7-6(6)
3. Sinisa Markovic (TTU) def. Dymtro Petrov (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Daniel Byrnes (OSU) def. Michael Breler (TTU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Christian Rojmar (TTU) def. Artie Burmistrau (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Nathan Byrnes (OSU) def. Milos Kustudija (TTU), 4-6, 7-5, 10-7

Phil C
04-23-2007, 09:38 AM
My goodness! Exciting news indeed! Congratulations to the Texas Tech Red Raiders! I am astonished and amazed indeed!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
04-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech also lost a close 4-3 match to Baylor last week...if only they could've pulled that one off!!! :(

Phil C
04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
That would have been great if they could have beat Baylor. But they are getting there in their tennis.

Did you get to read the great 1964 Track and Field story I posted?

sahen
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
The Bears won conference again (Tech beating OSU made it official and then the Bears took care of OU yesterday as well 5-2)....I think in my 4 years at Baylor the Men's tennis team has only lost 1 conference match (last year to the Aggies) now that is dominance...too bad the football or basketball at Baylor cant be half that good...

this year it will be difficult for the Men's Tennis team to get to the final 4 again i think....i cant remember the last match against a decent opponent we have won the doubles point in, but luckily we are dominate in singles....it will be interesting to see if they can get outa the sweet 16 since we always seem to start down one point....