PDA

View Full Version : Big Game in Reg. I (Graham v. Vernon)

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-19-2003, 08:58 PM
This game has all the makings of a big game. Both teams have only one loss and are 2-0 in district. Graham has not lost a district game in something like 4 years. The game will be played in Vernon and with both teams fan followings it should be a packed house.

So who wins this one?

Common Opponents: They have played some common opponents in WF Hirschi and Bowie. Both teams beat them soundly but Graham's offense rolled up much more in the points and yards category than Vernon did. Advantage: Graham

Defense: Both teams have good defenses. Graham's linebackers are great. Vernon's secondary is outstanding. Looking at stats it seems like Graham has the slight advantage here although both teams have good defenses.

Offense: Again both teams have great offenses. Graham has been putting up big numbers compared to Vernon. However, Vernon's offense is ball control driven and they don't usually have a lot of big plays. 5-6 yards a pop. The difference here is that Vernon has a lot of speed. Probably more speed than Graham has seen this year. They hit holes fast and their o-line is quick. It will be a great battle in the trenches. Vernon utilizes all it's backs, the HB, FB, WB and QB will all get about the same number of carries. So the Steer defense will have to stay at home and if they get overly aggressive it may hurt them. Graham has been getting the football in the end zone all year. It will be tough for Vernon to bend and not break. Against Bowie and Breckenridge the Vernon defense held inside of the 20 but Graham has a good running attack. Due to all the points Graham has put up the advantage has to be Graham here.

Special Teams: I don't know how well Graham has played special teams but I do know about Vernon. They have blocked punts and extra points all year. They have converted 4th down fakes, ran kickoffs and punts back for great yardage. Again with out knowing about Graham's special teams it would be hard to beat Vernon's.

The Numbers: Graham has 4 district titles and hasn't lost a district game since these seniors were freshman. The tide has to change sometimes and the numbers start going againt you. When these Graham seniors were sophomores their JV team lost to Vernon by 7. What does that mean? Nothing...but that the seniors of this Lion team know they can beat the Graham seniors which helps for confidence against so many losses against Graham. Advantage: Vernon .

This one looks to be a great match up. Of course I'll take Vernon because I'm a hometown fan and my son plays for them, but I believe they will be the underdog in this one.

wildstangs
10-19-2003, 09:24 PM
I am going with Vernon. Not much logic here, but Graham seems to be a little down this year. Vernon by 10.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-20-2003, 12:25 PM
I would like to get VWG's take on the game. Also will you be there?

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a fun game to watch. Good luck to both teams and here is to no injuries.

bubba_chuck_34
10-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Yea this will be a heck of a game. Graham has been playing some good ball lately. There defence has been dominant in the last three games (FIRST TEAMERS HAVNT GIVEN UP A TOUCHDOWN IN THREE GAMES). They also have alot more speed than you think they do. I dont think the steers seniors will let Vernon win this game. That game back when they were sophmores is one of the few games they have lost since 7th grade. Yeah i am from Graham and dont know much about Vernon but Graham will win this one by 14. It will be a great game. Remember last time this two teams meet in Vernon OT victory for the steers to win district. This isnt the last district game but it will probably decide the district champion. And that 22 game district winning streak will stay intact.

fury900
10-22-2003, 12:58 AM
bubba_chuck_34:
Yea this will be a heck of a game. Graham has been playing some good ball lately. There defence has been dominant in the last three games (FIRST TEAMERS HAVNT GIVEN UP A TOUCHDOWN IN THREE GAMES). They also have alot more speed than you think they do. I dont think the steers seniors will let Vernon win this game. That game back when they were sophmores is one of the few games they have lost since 7th grade. Yeah i am from Graham and dont know much about Vernon but Graham will win this one by 14. It will be a great game. Remember last time this two teams meet in Vernon OT victory for the steers to win district. This isnt the last district game but it will probably decide the district champion. And that 22 game district winning streak will stay intact.Vernon by 2 :D

VWG
10-22-2003, 07:28 AM
Graham and Vernon should be a great game.
It's good to see Vernon back at the top of the district, and even though Graham has not lost a game in dist. in like 4 years it's always a pretty close contest.
Vernon probably does have an advantage in team speed, but only slightly. You have to remember that Graham sent a kid to state in the 200 meter run last year as a junior and the 400 meter relay team went to regionals. All of these kids play football.
I look at this game and see a couple of deciding factors. Defensive play and turnovers. Vernon seems to be giving up a few more points than Graham, and Graham does have a solid set of linebackers. If they can shed blocks and get to the ball then it could be a tough night for Vernon. The Steers are having major problems with turnovers. 10 fumbles against Childress in the opening dist. game, but won like 29-7.
If Vernon can create some defensive pressure on the Steers and cause some turnovers, I look for Vernon to ball control and win the game. Maybe by 7 or 10 pts., but if Graham can get their offense clicking then it's hard to stop.
Another factor could be the gambles that the coaches take. Vernon and Graham are known to do the fake punts, 4th and 1 in their own territory and going for it, etc...
Should be able to make the game but work might keep me away. I know it will be a packed stadium in Vernon on Friday night and good luck to both teams.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-22-2003, 08:18 AM
VWG:

I remember last year at Graham the Steers went for it on like three 4th and shorts and made all of them. I am so excited about this game. Yes mistakes will cost whichever team makes them. I didn't realize that the Steers had so much speed. I agree that the key to this game will be how well Graham stops Vernon's O. That all depends on those LB not getting blocked. Also I look for Vernon to pass a bit more than normal. Usually they pass about 5 or 6 times a game. Vernon did that last week against Breckenridge when they loaded up the box. Vernon converted several first downs and burned them for a 30+ yard pass too.

Hey if you make the game look for my son he is #35 he plays strong safety, split end and returns the punts.

<small>[ October 22, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

CatWoman
10-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
VWG:

I remember last year at Graham the Steers went for it on like three 4th and shorts and made all of them. I am so excited about this game. Yes mistakes will cost whichever team makes them. I didn't realize that the Steers had so much speed. I agree that the key to this game will be how well Graham stops Vernon's O. That all depends on those LB not getting blocked. Also I look for Vernon to pass a bit more than normal. Usually they pass about 5 or 6 times a game. Vernon did that last week against Breckenridge when they loaded up the box. Vernon converted several first downs and burned them for a 30+ yard pass too.

Hey if you make the game look for my son he is #35 he plays strong safety, split end and returns the punts.Good luck to you Lions! Sounds like it will be a really good game. Hope your son has a good game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks Catwomen!

I'm sure a Ballinger - Vernon rematch this year in bi-district would be a good game. Although I was hoping for a 1st place district finish from Vernon so that they would draw the 2nd seed from your district whomever that may end up being. It is so great having a son that plays and it is enjoyable to watch him having a good time. That is what high school football is all about for a parent.

bubba_chuck_34
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Ya Graham does have alot of speed #19 is the one that went to state last year. Plays cb and some WB and the relay team was #12 #10 #13 #19 gonna be a hell of a game. Graham by 14