PDA

View Full Version : Raymondville Track Article....

Ray_BearKat
04-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Alejo overcomes tragedy to find success
Peter Rasmussen
April 22, 2007 - 12:02AM

Dustin Alejo wished he was fully immersed in athletics and hanging out with buddies, not sitting up every night wondering if his little brother would be around the next day.

The world of a then 14-year-old Alejo was blackened by the death of his younger brother.
But three years ago Alejo struggled with just that, watching as a killer disease slowly took his brother. Alejo’s brother, Zack, battled leukemia and eventually died from the malady in May 2004 at age 11 — nine months after he was first diagnosed.

“I took it hard,” Alejo said. “I felt as a big brother I should do something to protect him, but I couldn’t do anything. I kept asking why it wasn’t me. He was my mom’s baby, and I knew how hard it was going to be for her.

“I just kept thinking, ‘Why? Why couldn’t it have been me?’”

Although Alejo, now a 16-year-old sophomore track & field standout for Raymondville, and his family knew they didn’t have much time left with Zack, nothing could have prepared them for that May morning, especially Alejo.

His brother’s death left Alejo depressed and angry.

“He didn’t say much,” said his mother, Sylvia Silva. “He kept it all in. He really did not now how to express his feelings.”

The bottled emotions eventually affected Alejo’s social and school life. He wasn’t getting along with teachers and other students.

His grades suffered, and his attitude only helped build walls around a boy who didn’t know how to grieve.

“I imagine when you experience something like that at a young age it takes its toll,” said Alejo’s distant cousin, Kevin Vera. “What made it worse was that he didn’t vent all his problems.”

By the time high school rolled around, Vera, who was a voluntary Raymondville track coach last season, helped Alejo realize that if he wanted to be successful in athletics and in life, he would have to find a way to let go of the anger from his little brother’s death.

Experiencing Death

Alejo, who has 9-year old twin brothers named Corey and Cody, has competed in sports since the age of 6, and his brothers always have been there for support.

“(Zack) would just get a kick out of seeing his big brother blow away his age group and win his events,” said Vera, who is a 24-year-old firefighter from McAllen.

Zack could not join sports because of a heart transplant he received when he was born, as the left side of his heart was underdeveloped. Although no major side effects or sickness resulted from the procedure, Zack was forced to limit his physical activity.

“(Zack) did very good,” Silva said. “His body never rejected the heart. He would run around with Dustin and play basketball, but he knew his limits.”

It looked as if Zack would have a normal life until he complained of back pain in August 2003. After a trip to the doctor, he was diagnosed with lymphoma and later leukemia.
Silva said doctors were optimistic at first, but Zack’s health deteriorated.

“We spent a lot of time in hospitals and doctor’s offices.” Silva said. “The year Zack got sick, we did our trick-or-treating in the hospital.”

Alejo said Zack only saw him compete twice during his illness.

“I enjoyed him coming out to watch me,” Alejo said. “I just always wanted him there to see me compete.”

By the time of Zack’s death, he had lost much of his bodily functions. Realizing the end was near, Alejo spent the night in Zack’s room the night before his death. Both watched Miracle, a movie about the gold-medal winning 1980 United States Olympic hockey team.

“I knew he was going to die, but I didn’t expect he was going to die then that morning,” Alejo said. “He didn’t move or talk, and I knew then that he was gone.”

Silva said she did what she could to comfort him.

“Dustin used to feel so guilty,” Silva said. “He would say, ‘Mom, I feel bad because I was mean to Zack sometimes.’ I just told him that they were brothers and brothers fight. At the end they were very close, and that is what I told him mattered.”

Dark Days and Better Days

During and after Zack’s illness and death, Alejo’s social life was crashing.

He was, by all accounts, a very talented athlete in middle school. But his ability on the track and the football field was being overshadowed by his behavior — talking back to teachers, earning detentions, struggling with grades and not getting along with his peers.

“He was going through a lot at home and trying to deal with his brother’s death,” Silva said. “The teachers did not know that Dustin lost a brother. He did not know how to express his anger, so he would let it out by acting out at school.”

Vera described him as lost when he first entered high school.

“By the time he got to Raymondville he was branded a bad kid,” Vera said. “I think teachers just thought he was bad and thought he wouldn’t change.

Silva said Alejo could not turn to his father, Joey, because his dad has not always been a constant figure in his life since his parents divorced soon after the birth of his twin brothers.

“I was just mad at the world,” Alejo said. “I had a lot of anger, and I just didn’t want to talk to anyone.”

Then Alejo was pounded with a nice dose of reality. His grades kept him out for much of his freshman season during the Bearkats’ junior varsity football season. He realized it was time for change.

“He had a real bad attitude when he first came here,” close friend and Lady Bearkats track athlete Nicole Garcia said. “I used to tell him he needed to change because high school was not junior high. I told him the coaches at high school wouldn’t put up with him.”

With Vera near, he could keep tabs on Alejo. Vera checked in with Alejo’s teachers, and any bad report led to tougher practices for Alejo.

“Kevin played a big role in my life,” Alejo said. “He told me, ‘You need to do better.’ Kevin was there for me when I needed it the most. I see him as a big brother.”

Garcia said Alejo has matured immensely from his first day as a freshman.

“He has let go a lot,” Silva said. “Having Kevin there for him has helped him a lot to be able to find someone to talk to about it. It helped him let go of a lot of his anger.”

It has allowed Alejo to find success in athletics. He was named the District 31-3A newcomer of the year for the past football season. He owns the second-best Rio Grande Valley time this year in the 200-meter dash (21.75). Last weekend in Zapata, he won the district championship in the 100 and 200, and he is the first leg of the district-winning 400 and 800 relay teams.

He will be in action at the Region IV-3A meet next weekend in Kingsville.

“I don’t know much about his past,” Bearkats track coach Tony Niemeier said. “All I know is that when he got to me, he was a good kid. I have never had any trouble with him.”

When Alejo steps onto the track at the regional meet, it will be dedicated to his No. 1 fan — Zack.

“I always think about (Zack) at every track meet” Alejo said. “I always tell him, ‘I’ll meet you at the finish line.’”

http://www.themonitor.com/pictures/1177218160-trackweb.jpg
Raymondville track star Dustin Alejo, 16, lost his younger brother, Zack, to leukemia in 2004, nine months after he was diagnosed. Alejo acted out in a bad way after his brother’s death, but has turned his life around. Kirsten Luce/The Monitor

Ray_BearKat
05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Running down a dream: Win or lose, Bearkats plan on enjoying state meet

RAYMONDVILLE — For Tony Neimeir and the Raymondville Bearkats, this figures to be one of the most special weekends in their lives.
Win or lose it won’t matter because whatever happens at the UIL State Track and Field Championships on Friday and Saturday, the Bearkats are going to experience it together as brothers.
And for Neimeir, it doesn’t get any more special than that.
Seven Bearkats qualified for this weekend’s state meet at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin. It’s the most athletes Raymondville has sent to state in one meet.
“We’re sending nearly half or a third of our team,” Neimeir said. “And just to have that camaraderie there and enjoy this together is very special. Just being there with one another will be special.”
And making the trip even more special, is a sense of redemption the Bearkats can take solace in before they even compete.
Seniors Carlo Dominguez and Andrew Hernandez competed at the Region IV-3A meet as juniors with high hopes.
But once there, the pair failed to qualify. Hernandez ran a couple of steps outside his lane in the 800-meter run and Dominguez just couldn’t get off the “big jump” he needed in the triple jump to move on.
No one qualified for state last year marking the first time in eight years the state meet was held sans Bearkats.
It was a bitter pill to swallow. But Neimeir said the team worked for that goal specifically this year and made sure a trip to Austin would be secured in Kingsville this year.
“More than anything our senior leadership and drive and determination is what got us where we wanted to be,” Neimeir said. “As seniors, they’ve learned through their experience and hard knocks. They’ve earned the opportunity to compete at state.”
Dominguez is one of four seniors in the Magnificent Seven and leads the Willacy County contingent by competing in four events.
Dominguez will compete in the long jump on Friday and the triple jump on Saturday. Dominguez will also anchor the 400-meter relay and run the third leg of the mile relay on Saturday too.
Dominguez has the Valley’s Bests top mark in both the long and triple jumps. He jumped 46 feet, 8 inches earlier in the season. Then at regionals, Dominguez cleared 22-10 to win silver.
“I think we all just want to go up there and go for personal bests or at least close to it,” Neimeir said. “Carlo feels he needs to jump at least a 46 to have a chance. But we’re all just excited to be competing in such a big arena.”
For Hernandez, there’s also a sense of family tradition to uphold in Austin.
Hernandez anchors the mile relay but his bread and butter is the 800. He finished second at regionals with a time of 1:59.49.
But a couple of years ago, his older brother Adam (AJ) won gold at state bringing home the 800 state championship. It was an amazing race that Adam won in the last 100 meters.
And it’s not quickly forgotten at Raymondville High or the Hernandez home. But Neimeir doesn’t get into Adam’s race too much around Andrew.
“I try to avoid putting any kind of added pressure on him,” Neimeir said. “Friday when we’re up there, I’ll ask him what he would like to do there.”
Manny Cortinas and Gilbert Garza are the other seniors. Cortinas runs the first leg on the sprint relay while Garza runs the opening leg of the mile relay and third on the sprint relay.
Junior thrower David Rodriguez will compete in the shot put and discus. Rodriguez won the shot in Kingsville with a toss of 52-2 and earned silver in the discus with a 155-9.
“I told him to go up with an open mind and confident,” Neimeir said. “He looks forward to competing and gaining experience.”
Jake Garcia is the other junior and runs the third leg of the mile relay.
Sophomore Dustin Alejo won the 200 with a time of 22.00 at regionals and Neimeir is looking forward to a good meet from the speedster.
“He’s been working hard in the weight room and really they all have,” Neimeir said. “They’ve all been pushing hard just to get to the state meet.”
Raymondville’s seven are just a handful of the 27 athletes that will represent the Rio Grande Valley in Austin this weekend. That’s also the largest group the Valley has sent to state in one meet.
The Valley’s 5A and 3A schools lead the large group in representation.
Fourteen Valley athletes from the 5A ranks will head to state including McAllen Memorial sophomore Tricia Terry, who’ll compete in the mile and two-mile runs.
There are eight from the 3A level with Port Isabel’s Scot McGallicher the only other 3A athlete competing.
In Class 2A, Joseph Rodriguez in the pole vault and Fernando Ruiz in the 100 will represent Santa Rosa.
“Valley track is making its mark at regionals and state,” Neimeir said. “This area is constantly improving and we’re not going to be overlooked as easy as we were in the past.”
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/pictures/1178869659-s2.gif
From left, Manny Cortinas, Andrew Hernandez, Gilbert Garza, David Rodriguez, Jake Garcia, Dustin Alejo and Carlo Dominguez are representing Raymondville this weekend at the UIL State Track & Field Championships.

footballgal
05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Best wishes to all of them!

pirate4state
05-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Best of Luck to Raymondville!!! :clap: :clap: