PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams vs. Bracey Wright

JR2004
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Anyone from up here in North Texas remember when everyone predicted NBA stardom for Bracey Wright instead of Williams when both were at The Colony?

2006-2007 season statistics

Williams:
16.2 points
3.3 rebounds
9.3 assists

Wright:
3.5 points
1.1 rebounds
0.8 assists

I can't help but laugh at all those recruiting "experts" and coaches who discounted Williams back in high school. He's the one who led The Colony to Austin. He led Illinois to the brink of a national title and now in his 2nd season he's led Utah back to the playoffs and is supposedly going to be joining the national team this summer. He almost put up a triple-double last night in the loss. Too bad his entire frontline neglected to show up and help him out.

I just never got what those folks saw in Wright that they didn't see in Williams. If I'm starting a team and I have to pick a point guard under the age of 25, I wouldn't hesitate to pick him to run the show.

eagles_victory
04-22-2007, 01:49 PM
i was never impressed with Bracey i always thought he was basically just a spot up shooter

maestro
04-22-2007, 06:21 PM
it's called having your own AAU SUMMER LEAGUE PRESS AGENT....

maestro
04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
another " late " bloomer is bosh playing for toronto..

yes, i know he went to georgia tech and that his teams made it to austin......

but he never took over games.......

jason
04-22-2007, 08:38 PM
i watched a tournament final at ut dallas the senior year of all those guys

it was wright and williams and their colony cougars

vs

bryan hopkins and chris bosh and their lincoln (insert mascot here)

lincoln won their game, i believe they were 40-0 state champs that year

hopkins can jump higher than anybody ive ever seen

and i still think chris bosh sucks...

the gym was PACKED for that game...

eagles_victory
04-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by jason
i watched a tournament final at ut dallas the senior year of all those guys

it was wright and williams and their colony cougars

vs

bryan hopkins and chris bosh and their lincoln (insert mascot here)

lincoln won their game, i believe they were 40-0 state champs that year

hopkins can jump higher than anybody ive ever seen

and i still think chris bosh sucks...

the gym was PACKED for that game... im with you on that jason i really didnt think bosh was very good in high school hopskins was a much better player at that time. Freshman Byron Eaton also got some time for Lincoln that year

kepdawg
04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
I miss those boys!

Bracey was an outstanding high school player. I don't think he ever had star potential in the league, but I also don't think his situation at Indiana helped him any along the way. It'd be nice to see how he would have developed in a different program.

But you are so right on this. I can understand what people saw in Bracey, but for them not to see it in Deron is ludicrous!

There's a reason Deron was the district MVP. Deron ran the show while he was at TC. He could have led the team in scoring, but that wouldn't have been best for the team. He's always been about the team first.

You could have taken Bracey off the team and Deron and Bam Harmon would have carried them to a top 10-15 ranking. Take Deron away and as good as Bracey and Bam were you would have some big time problems.

One of the best plays I've seen in high school is when Deron jumped from the volleyball endline and dunked over a guy in McKinney! It was one of the most authoritative dunks I've seen at any level.

Unfortunately for Bracey and Deron they were TC's best post players as well. I don't know how Coach Thomas couldn't find a couple of guys over 6'3" in a 5A high school!

I miss those guys!