PDA

View Full Version : Researching Military Histories

injuredinmelee
04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/hsguru73/c8fbbc86abe8bd6a5eb6a3b4d0411301.jpg

crzyjournalist03
04-21-2007, 06:25 PM
:D :thumbsup:

Q: How many French soldiers does it take to protect the Eiffell Tower?

A: I don't know. It's never been tried.

hawkfan
04-21-2007, 09:01 PM
"I'd rather have a German army in front of me than a French army behind me."

Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 09:18 PM
The French helped us gain our freedom. I don't quite understand the disdain many Americans hold for France, maybe some of you can help me out?

hawkfan
04-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The French helped us gain our freedom. I don't quite understand the disdain many Americans hold for France, maybe some of you can help me out?

IMO, I think alot of it has to do with the French only fighting for about 10 minutes before surrenduring during WWII

injuredinmelee
04-21-2007, 09:29 PM

go to France some day and see how they feel about you...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
IMO, I think alot of it has to do with the French only fighting for about 10 minutes before surrenduring during WWII

Was that what prompted people to want to start changing the name of French Fries to "Freedom Fries" a few years ago?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
go to France some day and see how they feel about you...

When you treat people with inferiority what do you expect them to do, welcome you with open arms?

JR2004
04-21-2007, 09:40 PM

So much to learn...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
So much to learn...

Actually, I'm well aware of the situation at hand, I just wanted other people's opinions on it. Trust me, I learned a long time ago why people were so quick to judge France and hate them. It goes along with the same reason that The Dixie Chicks were shunned by American listeners in an instant, in my opinion, but I wanted to hear some of yours.

JR2004
04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Actually, I'm well aware of the situation at hand, I just wanted other people's opinions on it. Trust me, I learned a long time ago why people were so quick to judge France and hate them. It goes along with the same reason that The Dixie Chicks were shunned by American listeners in an instant, in my opinion, but I wanted to hear some of yours.

You're still young. You'll figure out a few years from now that you really don't know as much as you believe you might know. Happens to everybody.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
You're still young. You'll figure out a few years from now that you really don't know as much as you believe you might know. Happens to everybody.

I believe that you do learn as you get older, but just because I'm young doesn't mean that I'm ignorant and unaware of what is going on, unaware of the past, and unaware of the consequences of certain actions. You don't have to place blind faith in my intelligence or aptitude, but my only request is that you do not question it. Maybe a few years from now, you'll realize that I know more than you believe I might, because it has happened to a few people on here before.

Txbroadcaster
04-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I have neither love or hate for the French. They used to be a military power and then yes they did tarnish their name with how their leader laid down against the Germans in WWII..BUT with out the French Resistance risking their life WWII would have taken longer or might not have had the results it did all together in the Europe Theatre.

NOW..what I have a problem with the French government now is WHY they wanted to block UN forces in Iraq and then lash out agianst the US..It was not for the reasons of Irag being a soverign nation, or to protect innocent people..I would respect that

It as because they were hip deep in the Oil for Food scandal going behind everyones back selling weapons to the Iraqi army.

Gobbla2001
04-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I aint gunna lie, I like me some french fries... even some french kisses... french bread isn't bad either...

JR2004
04-21-2007, 11:35 PM
I believe that you do learn as you get older, but just because I'm young doesn't mean that I'm ignorant and unaware of what is going on, unaware of the past, and unaware of the consequences of certain actions. You don't have to place blind faith in my intelligence or aptitude, but my only request is that you do not question it. Maybe a few years from now, you'll realize that I know more than you believe I might, because it has happened to a few people on here before.

You don't understand at all...You'll figure it out as you get older and mature and realize you didn't know a tenth of a percent of what you thought you knew at the age you are right now. Again it happens to everyone. You'll eventually figure it out down the line and wind up saying the same thing to someone else when they're at the age you are now.

JR2004
04-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
french bread isn't bad either...

mmmmmm...french bread...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 11:47 PM
You don't understand at all...You'll figure it out as you get older and mature and realize you didn't know a tenth of a percent of what you thought you knew at the age you are right now. Again it happens to everyone. You'll eventually figure it out down the line and wind up saying the same thing to someone else when they're at the age you are now.

No, I think that it is you who has an overall lack of understanding, and it's not about this situation, it is just about me in general. For my age, I know a remarkable amount, and on a lot of occasions, I will know as much as or more than a man twice my age. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, well wait, actually, I am. I am a smart young man by my own accord and efforts. I might end up saying the same thing to someone else when they're my age down the line, but I'm not going to sell someone short that I don't even know, which is exactly what you're doing right now. Now, if you want to argue a specific point with me, I'm more than happy to oblige, but until then, don't put the capabilities of someone, particularly me, into question until you know for sure, and by all appearances, you do not.

Gobbla2001
04-21-2007, 11:48 PM
why's everybody being all serious?

C'mon!!!

Why don't we talk about french women... covered in ketchup... to dip french fries in... and making french toast with them the following morning...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
NOW..what I have a problem with the French government now is WHY they wanted to block UN forces in Iraq and then lash out agianst the US..It was not for the reasons of Irag being a soverign nation, or to protect innocent people..I would respect that.

What were the reasons then?

Gobbla2001
04-21-2007, 11:50 PM

It as because they were hip deep in the Oil for Food scandal going behind everyones back selling weapons to the Iraqi army.

I think those were his reasons, Gary...

Txbroadcaster
04-21-2007, 11:50 PM
What were the reasons then?

uhh gave them right where u stopped quoting me

smustangs
04-21-2007, 11:53 PM
why's everybody being all serious?

C'mon!!!

Why don't we talk about french women... covered in ketchup... to dip french fries in... and making french toast with them the following morning...

amen this thread was started as a joke. lets find us a good french woman to participate gobbla

Gobbla2001
04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
a good french woman

now that's really halarious...

okay jk

where should we start?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
uhh gave them right where u stopped quoting me

Didn't read that when I quoted you, I went on a blind erasing spree.

:thinking:

Hmm...

smustangs
04-21-2007, 11:56 PM
now that's really halarious...

okay jk

where should we start?

sounds like your workin on minty

Gobbla2001

Hmm...

yah, Gary just went crazy you'll have to excuse him...

VIVA LA FRANCE FOOD BABY!!!

Txbroadcaster

Hmm...

LOL np

Gobbla2001
Originally posted by smustangs
sounds like your workin on minty

she's not french, though, she's Hellian...

smustangs
04-21-2007, 11:57 PM
she's not french, though, she's Hellian...

true true

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 12:05 AM
My Engineering Math teacher is French and is by far the worst teacher that I have had the unlucky experience to have. :(

Gobbla2001
04-22-2007, 12:10 AM
My Engineering Math teacher is French and is by far the worst teacher that I have had the unlucky experience to have. :(

see

JR2004
04-22-2007, 12:28 AM
No, I think that it is you who has an overall lack of understanding, and it's not about this situation, it is just about me in general. For my age, I know a remarkable amount, and on a lot of occasions, I will know as much as or more than a man twice my age. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, well wait, actually, I am. I am a smart young man by my own accord and efforts. I might end up saying the same thing to someone else when they're my age down the line, but I'm not going to sell someone short that I don't even know, which is exactly what you're doing right now. Now, if you want to argue a specific point with me, I'm more than happy to oblige, but until then, don't put the capabilities of someone, particularly me, into question until you know for sure, and by all appearances, you do not.

lol...I'll feel free to question YOU whenever I feel like it. I kinda feel bad for you...kind of...Keep putting up similarly ignorant self-promoting responses and I'll keep questioning you and your complete lack of knowledge of how the world works.

Ignorance is bliss I guess at your age!

turbostud
04-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I aint gunna lie, I like me some french fries... even some french kisses... french bread isn't bad either...
Dont forget them french maids. As long as they shave their armpits.

Gobbla2001
04-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
As long as they shave their armpits.

oh yah, a must...

Pmoney
04-22-2007, 10:57 AM
When you treat people with inferiority what do you expect them to do, welcome you with open arms?
hey man if u like france so much and hate us for bashing em...go live there...or move up north with all the liberal yankees...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 11:40 AM
lol...I'll feel free to question YOU whenever I feel like it. I kinda feel bad for you...kind of...Keep putting up similarly ignorant self-promoting responses and I'll keep questioning you and your complete lack of knowledge of how the world works.

Ignorance is bliss I guess at your age!

And you know how the world works? Instead of throwing out insults and questioning the capabilities of others, why don't you demonstrate yours instead? Or is it a possibility that you cannot and simply try to make someone else look young and stupid, with the key word being try? I apologize for trying to reason with you.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
hey man if u like france so much and hate us for bashing em...go live there...or move up north with all the liberal yankees...

Where did you get that from? Reading and comprehension must not be your strong points, so maybe you should head up north and work on getting better at that.

Pmoney
04-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Where did you get that from? Reading and comprehension must not be your strong points, so maybe you should head up north and work on getting better at that.
hey i got that from your posts...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
hey i got that from your posts...

Until you fully understand what I was saying, don't make assertions such as the one you did. I just wanted to know why so many hated France, because a lot of people hate France for reasons that are untrue. I never said that I liked France, but I never said that I hated them, nor do I hate the people who dislike them, for that matter.

Pmoney
04-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Until you fully understand what I was saying, don't make assertions such as the one you did. I just wanted to know why so many hated France, because a lot of people hate France for reasons that are untrue. I never said that I liked France, but I never said that I hated them, nor do I hate the people who dislike them, for that matter.
ok i misunderstood your original posts...but the reasons that people hate france are usually true....like they are supposedly are ally but they choose to act like we are the terrorists in the war against terrorism

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 11:54 AM
ok i misunderstood your original posts...but the reasons that people hate france are usually true....like they are supposedly are ally but they choose to act like we are the terrorists in the war against terrorism

No, just the War in Iraq. The war against terrorism is a totally different ballgame.

Pmoney
04-22-2007, 12:01 PM
No, just the War in Iraq. The war against terrorism is a totally different ballgame.
but ok...what does the ally mean to you

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 12:03 PM
but ok...what does the ally mean to you

In a justified war, our allies are supposed to be there supporting us.

Pmoney
04-22-2007, 12:25 PM
In a justified war, our allies are supposed to be there supporting us.
ok so i see where your going with this....ok so your saying since the Iraq war isnt justified, that we should let people massacre and slaughter innocent people, ok thats really moral...

JR2004
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Or is it a possibility that you cannot and simply try to make someone else look young and stupid

LOL...You do this very well for me. You continually prove my point.

Keep trying, little fella, keep trying!

DDBooger
04-22-2007, 12:54 PM
ok i misunderstood your original posts...but the reasons that people hate france are usually true....like they are supposedly are ally but they choose to act like we are the terrorists in the war against terrorism france is no less arrogant then us. and to hear them accuse us of it is laughable. but categorizing all of france as frogs is wrong. Parisians are far different from the rest of their country. France operates centrally not like the us with multiple levels of authority (fed,state,local) which gives areas its identity. as far as the argument goes regarding allowing innocents to be killed, in that case what prevents us from aiding sudan prior? which probably had more connections to al queda than iraq did. in fact, you'll find africa is a breeding ground of instability and ignorance that muslim fundamentalists prey on. when iraq was drawn up it was no wonder why it required a brutal dictator to maintain those arbitrary lines. as we are finding out today, a 1000+ year old feud does not dissipate, especially when driven by foreign insurgents bent on our failure. But unfortunately I agree with the right on one thing, and probably the only prediction they'll get right and thats if we leave, that place becomes a vacuum and training ground for shia backed and sunni backed militia. I wish we'd just follow biden's idea and divide the country, while meticulous, it may be the only way to asuage the warring factions.

DDBooger
04-22-2007, 12:59 PM
LOL...You do this very well for me. You continually prove my point.

Keep trying, little fella, keep trying! come on jr, categorizing a person as ignorant based on age is itself a preconceived notion based on a generalization. as if to suggest age automatically equates wisdom and intelligence. how much of this is just you prodding the young guy and you really believing what you are saying. as far as im concerned im impressed someone as young as him can be as well versed and interested in external events. I'm amazed at the lack of interest and ignorance of today's youth about anything outside of this country. it seems we only wish to learn about it after a tragedy like 9/11. even then we still have people who equate all muslims with those who enacted 9/11. of course it doesn't help when you hear lil condemnation on the part of their moderates but still, differentiating between them i'd say is pretty important

JR2004
04-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
come on jr, categorizing a person as ignorant based on age is itself a preconceived notion based on a generalization. as if to suggest age automatically equates wisdom and intelligence. how much of this is just you prodding the young guy and you really believing what you are saying. as far as im concerned im impressed someone as young as him can be as well versed and interested in external events. I'm amazed at the lack of interest and ignorance of today's youth about anything outside of this country. it seems we only wish to learn about it after a tragedy like 9/11. even then we still have people who equate all muslims with those who enacted 9/11. of course it doesn't help when you hear lil condemnation on the part of their moderates but still, differentiating between them i'd say is pretty important

No prodding involved. Whether he ever figures out the way things work I could care less, but I'm fairly certain he eventually will down the line just like most folks do as they grow and mature.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 05:01 PM
ok so i see where your going with this....ok so your saying since the Iraq war isnt justified, that we should let people massacre and slaughter innocent people, ok thats really moral...

If that were the reason we went to war in the first place, I would see myself supporting that notion, but since it wasn't and isn't the reason we're still there, I'm having a hard time.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
come on jr, categorizing a person as ignorant based on age is itself a preconceived notion based on a generalization. as if to suggest age automatically equates wisdom and intelligence. how much of this is just you prodding the young guy and you really believing what you are saying. as far as im concerned im impressed someone as young as him can be as well versed and interested in external events. I'm amazed at the lack of interest and ignorance of today's youth about anything outside of this country. it seems we only wish to learn about it after a tragedy like 9/11. even then we still have people who equate all muslims with those who enacted 9/11. of course it doesn't help when you hear lil condemnation on the part of their moderates but still, differentiating between them i'd say is pretty important

Thank you. ;)

mustang04
04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
JR2004........what BBDE bases his posts off of is knowledge....you are trying to throw the "you don't have wisdom yet cuz you're a kid blah blah blah" well bud, sry to say but wisdom and knowledge are way 2 different things....yes i agree you gain more wisdom as you grow older, but knowledge can be obtained at any age and many times younger people just might have more knowledge than older ppl give them credit for

JR2004
04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
JR2004........what BBDE bases his posts off of is knowledge....you are trying to throw the "you don't have wisdom yet cuz you're a kid blah blah blah" well bud, sry to say but wisdom and knowledge are way 2 different things....yes i agree you gain more wisdom as you grow older, but knowledge can be obtained at any age and many times younger people just might have more knowledge than older ppl give them credit for

lol

injuredinmelee
04-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Just for you Gary

French Soldier Periodical (http://www.code7r.org/Bintoons/allies2.htm)

injuredinmelee
04-22-2007, 08:40 PM
If that were the reason we went to war in the first place, I would see myself supporting that notion, but since it wasn't and isn't the reason we're still there, I'm having a hard time.

nm i dont want to know.

bandera7
04-22-2007, 10:03 PM
well first of all I agree with BBDE in that youth does not equal stupidity. While the two do often go hand in hand, it is not always the case and should not always be assumed. To do so is the same as assuming all of the young men and women that we love to talk about on here, all of the football, basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, track, tennis, and golf athletes that we discuss, are stupid. Its saying that each one is only capable of playing their respective sport in life. Stereotyping is a bad thing.

As for France, I dont like them because 1) of the Oil for Food Scandal aforementioned. 2) the weapons sold to Iraq 3) I believe that France stalled in the UN so that Iraq had time to get rid of their WMD's. I cant prove that one, but I think that before we entered Iraq they had WMD's (as Israeli intelligence, the best intelligence agency in the world, told us they had them).

There are my reasons

shankbear
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I have been to France five times. Only once were we treated what we would consider badly. The rest of the time has been great. The older the person, the more they express appreciation for America. It is awesome in Paris where there is a small version of the Statue of Liberty on an island in the Seine River just down from the Eiffel Tower.

They respond well when you even attempt to speak their language. The country has thousands of years of history. There are Roman ruins there from the time of Christ. The south of France, Provence, is much like the Hill Country of Texas. The scenery is fabulous.

The French are indeed a proud people and a bit socialistic for my taste but it is a wonderful place.

DU_stud04
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
You don't understand at all...You'll figure it out as you get older and mature and realize you didn't know a tenth of a percent of what you thought you knew at the age you are right now. Again it happens to everyone. You'll eventually figure it out down the line and wind up saying the same thing to someone else when they're at the age you are now. why dont you enlighten us with what you know....since you are alittle older than myself, bbde,mustang04. so far all i know is that you like french bread

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
well first of all I agree with BBDE in that youth does not equal stupidity. While the two do often go hand in hand, it is not always the case and should not always be assumed. To do so is the same as assuming all of the young men and women that we love to talk about on here, all of the football, basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, track, tennis, and golf athletes that we discuss, are stupid. Its saying that each one is only capable of playing their respective sport in life. Stereotyping is a bad thing.

As for France, I dont like them because 1) of the Oil for Food Scandal aforementioned. 2) the weapons sold to Iraq 3) I believe that France stalled in the UN so that Iraq had time to get rid of their WMD's. I cant prove that one, but I think that before we entered Iraq they had WMD's (as Israeli intelligence, the best intelligence agency in the world, told us they had them).

There are my reasons

Actually, investigations by the U.N. and by our own intelligence agencies proved that Saddam had abandoned all nuclear and biological weapon research programs in the early 90s and had any weapons that they did have were destroyed by no later than 1996.

JR2004
04-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
why dont you enlighten us with what you know....since you are alittle older than myself, bbde,mustang04. so far all i know is that you like french bread

lol...Why? This is about young Captain know-it-all attempting to prove how smart he is...I guess I shouldn't have this much fun at an Aggies expense, but oh well. That's the breaks sometimes!

I don't really share my political opinions all that often because it's a pointless endeavor, especially on an internet message board. I don't have an affiliation with either party and never will so I really have no defined ideology on what I think of a situation.

I do like French bread though!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-23-2007, 12:33 AM
lol...Why? This is about young Captain know-it-all attempting to prove how smart he is...I guess I shouldn't have this much fun at an Aggies expense, but oh well. That's the breaks sometimes!

I don't really share my political opinions all that often because it's a pointless endeavor, especially on an internet message board. I don't have an affiliation with either party and never will so I really have no defined ideology on what I think of a situation.

I do like French bread though!

Never once have I said I know everything, only that you shouldn't take for granted the intellectual capabilities of others. I'm more than willing to create my own ideas and support them, but apparently you still aren't old enough to contribute to the conversation.

JR2004
04-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Never once have I said I know everything, only that you shouldn't take for granted the intellectual capabilities of others. I'm more than willing to create my own ideas and support them, but apparently you still aren't old enough to contribute to the conversation.

LOL...Needed a good laugh during lunch little fella. Thanks!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
LOL...Needed a good laugh during lunch little fella. Thanks!

Hey, no problem small fry.

Fotbol
04-23-2007, 02:40 PM
The French are lovers not fighters, a man do I mean lovers:eek:

vet93
04-23-2007, 02:45 PM
BBDE...I think that Junior is not really taking a shot at your personal intellect. I enjoy reading your posts because they are thought provoking, even though I may not always agree with you. What he is getting at is the phenomena that as you get older, many times you realize that you may not be as knowledgeable as you think. The progression of time and the ups and downs of life are often humbling and cause us to realize that we may not have as good a grasp as we once thought. Again...I don't think his argument is so much about knowledge as it is about perspective.

mustang04
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by vet93
BBDE...I think that Junior is not really taking a shot at your personal intellect. I enjoy reading your posts because they are thought provoking, even though I may not always agree with you. What he is getting at is the phenomena that as you get older, many times you realize that you may not be as knowledgeable as you think. The progression of time and the ups and downs of life are often humbling and cause us to realize that we may not have as good a grasp as we once thought. Again...I don't think his argument is so much about knowledge as it is about perspective.

VET!!!!!!! hey whats the crack-a-lack man???? how is the wife and kid? your kid should be around 2 years now right????

BBDE....i think JR is just a lil sour cuz you and i are healthy young studs in college....just plain ENVY:D :D :D

vet93
04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Things are great...you're right...the youngest is a little over 2...but don't forget I have 3 others! Keeps me busy. Hope things are going well for you....you still at ASU? Haven't been to a Sweetwater game in a couple of years...might have to take one in this year so I can see all of my Mustang friends....take care!

VET!!!!!!! hey whats the crack-a-lack man???? how is the wife and kid? your kid should be around 2 years now right????

BBDE....i think JR is just a lil sour cuz you and i are healthy young studs in college....just plain ENVY:D :D :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-23-2007, 05:37 PM

You're probably right, but a lot of healthy young college guys still envy us too. :thinking:

JR2004
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, no problem small fry.

lol...poor aggie...

JR2004
04-23-2007, 06:38 PM

lol...rocks.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
lol...poor aggie...

Nope, I actually have a pretty good life, but thanks for your thoughts.

mustang04
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
lol...rocks.

rocks????
good one:nerd: