PDA

View Full Version : tech/Geek Question

44INAROW
04-20-2007, 09:32 PM
OK - here's what happened....... few weekends ago, Lil44 was out of town playing golf and I wanted to play spades online but also watch something I had on TiVO - so that meant I needed to be in the living room where the Tivo is - so since he's not here to use his laptop- I go get Lil44's laptop that has wireless connection to my computer - which is connected to SBC Global on one of those ZWIRE modems (I really know NOTHING about computers and internet so bear with me) anyway - I am playing a game and all the sudden - the browser freezes up and the little thingy in the bottom corner tells me the internet connection can't be found - I think, "Oh well - bad connection" and wait a while - Reboot - nothing happens - no connection. So I go check my desktop in the other room that is connected to the same modem and it's working like a charm. I unplug the modem, reboot the PC and it still works but the laptop - still can't find the "wireless connection" So on the laptop, I go to the little thingy at the bottom right of the screen and right click to "repair" and it says it can't complete cause it doesn't detect ANY wireless connection :( - I've just been busy and we haven't done anything about it (Lil44 has just been using my PC) so my question - what the heck is going on???? Can the modem NOT be sending a wireless connection, but still work on my PC? Geek Squad is who set up the wireless connection - and the Laptop has warranty and service agreement stuff - but is it a laptop thing or does it sound like a bad modem? Should I call SBC aka AT&T or what? The modem is probably 3 or 4 years old and never given us any problem......

Emerson1
04-20-2007, 09:35 PM
By modem, do you mean a router?

44INAROW
04-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
By modem, do you mean a router?

I guess so - (I told you I don't know much about this stuff lol) but yes, we are DSL not dialup so I guess it's a router

AP Panther Fan
04-20-2007, 09:53 PM
lol...when you figure it out, I need this answer. Cameron's computer got "dropped" off our network a couple of months ago. I blamed limewire and haven't done a thing to correct it....one less problem.;)

44INAROW
04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
he has limewire on the laptop....... hhmmm

AP Panther Fan
04-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
he has limewire on the laptop....... hhmmm

so does Ashton's laptop that I am currently typing on...I really don't like laptops. :mad:

Anyway, limewire may or may not be the answer, it was just convenient for me at the time...I think downloading "stuff" has caused us more than a problem or two in the past.

We are pretty much computer illiterate when it comes to these technical issues also.

99IHSMustang
04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
44.. Try this first. Right-Click My Network Places and select Properties. Right-Click the Wireless Connection and click disable. The right click it again and re-enable it. If that doesn't work, open up your wireless connection manager software on the laptop. Force it to do a search for wireless networks. If no wirelss networks show up then I would then suggest going into the Management Interface of the router. In order to do that go to a Pc that is connected directly to the router. Go to Start-->Run and type "cmd". Once the command prompt is up type "ipconfig". Write down the default gateway address. Then open up the browser and type http://xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx. The x's represent the address. You should then be prompted for a password. If the people that set up the router did not change the management password you should be able to find the default password in documentation or even on line. Once into the router you want to check and find out what type of encryption is being used and whether or not it is setup to broadcast. Then I might be able to help you further.

This may be a little advanced for you, but another simple option would be to get another wireless laptop and see if it locates your wireless network. If it doesn't then you know there is a problem with the wireless router and or configuration. I am thinking that your router is okay but Its hard to troubleshoot without looking atht setup on the laptop as well.

Emerson1
04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Limewire wouldn't do anything to affect the connection.

HM33
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
easy way to turn ur "WiFi" off on a laptop is to use the keyboard keys. There should be a blue one 'Fn' while holding that one down find the wireless key which should be like F3 or so.. (it is a little tower) and just click it. Should say WiFi off or something similar. Then just do the same to turn it back on.

If that doesn't fix it then it most likely is your router. We had that problem at our house and it just ended up that the router turned its wireless signal off for some odd reason.

44INAROW
04-20-2007, 11:33 PM
thanks guys for all the suggestions...... I'll work on it tomorrow when I am well rested and have alot of PATIENCE :)

SintonFan_inAustin
04-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
thanks guys for all the suggestions...... I'll work on it tomorrow when I am well rested and have alot of PATIENCE :) its ur network is secured and u need to reenter the numbers on ur router thats located on bottom of it. i can post later step by step so u can use ur wireless laptop to access the router

un b weavable
04-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
its ur network is secured and u need to reenter the numbers on ur router thats located on bottom of it. i can post later step by step so u can use ur wireless laptop to access the router

If the network is secured the laptop would still pick it up. Didnt she say the laptop isnt recognizing a wireless network at all?

99IHSMustang
04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by un b weavable
If the network is secured the laptop would still pick it up. Didnt she say the laptop isnt recognizing a wireless network at all?

I believe if WPA encryption is used along with non-broadcast he would have to know the SSID and set up his connection to the network manually.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I believe if WPA encryption is used along with non-broadcast he would have to know the SSID and set up his connection to the network manually. yes the default network key is located at the bottom of the modem(router)2wire which is what she has. If its secured(which usually is when it gets installed) she will get no wireless connection available. U can lose the settings thru spyware resetting ur configuration settings. i had some spyware completely wipe out my windows configuration settings, but thats what can happen when u surf the web thru CCtexas wifi:mad:

SintonFan_inAustin
04-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by un b weavable
If the network is secured the laptop would still pick it up. Didnt she say the laptop isnt recognizing a wireless network at all? or it could be as easy as the wifi switch being turned off by accident(which is usually locatied on the side of the laptop as a sliding off and on switch):doh:

99IHSMustang
04-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
or it could be as easy as the wifi switch being turned off by accident(which is usually locatied on the side of the laptop as a sliding off and on switch):doh:

Those ID10T errors are the worst!

bobcat1
04-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
44.. Try this first. Right-Click My Network Places and select Properties. Right-Click the Wireless Connection and click disable. The right click it again and re-enable it. Happens to us all the time. Limewire is part of it I bet. The solution quoted above usually fixes our connection.:D

sinton66
04-21-2007, 07:02 AM
It's also possible that your wireless adapter in the laptop has crapped out (not real likely, but possible). The suggestion to try another laptop sounds like good advice. If you have another or a friend with a laptop, that's easy enough to try.

I'm assuming your router (and your entire home network) is wireless and other computers in the house have no problem accessing the internet through it. You did say your PC works, right?

LH Panther Mom
04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
It's also possible that your wireless adapter in the laptop has crapped out (not real likely, but possible). The suggestion to try another laptop sounds like good advice. If you have another or a friend with a laptop, that's easy enough to try.

I'm assuming your router (and your entire home network) is wireless and other computers in the house have no problem accessing the internet through it. You did say your PC works, right? I think her PC might be wired.

jason
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
limewire isnt going to cause network connection problems

download and install this program, it repairs windows network connections - its called winsock fix

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_winsockxpfix.html