PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief!!!

Ranger Mom
04-20-2007, 08:13 PM
This is just not my day!!!

My two big dogs got in a fight earlier and the two little ones tried to get in on the action. I was right in the middle of all the ruckus with a baseball bat trying to save their lives. All the sudden I feel a seering pain in my leg and my son's dog, in all the excitement, tried to get into the fray and BIT ME! Now I have two puncture wounds and a big scratch down the back of my leg.

I didn't realize how bad a bite like that could hurt and how bruised I would get. I really don't know what to do with her now, she has NEVER shown the least amount of aggression toward anyone. I really don't think she meant to bite me!

Anyway, my sister in law took pity on me because it shook me up pretty good and offered to fix supper for us.

My daughter just called me in a panic...she almost stepped on a rattlesnake in the back yard. The same dog that bit me spotted this one and sounded the alarm. It was out there by our hot tub, and rather that just hacking it's head off with a shovel, her boyfriend runs in the house to get the pellet gun....of course, I put the pellets up, so he wasn't able to find them, so he had to call me again.

By the time he got back out there, the snake had already crawled up in the redwood housing thats all around the hot tub and can no longer be seen.

Now my husband and my brother are headed back to my house to tear all the wood off (:bigcry: :bigcry: ) and see if they can find it.

Supper will be delayed!!!:( :(

Old Tiger
04-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Well Kel Kel...i still love you! :):inlove:

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2007, 08:15 PM
You need to show Bo how it's done! ;) It's bound to get better....grab one (or six) of those green apple thingys. :D

Ranger Mom
04-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You need to show Bo how it's done! ;) It's bound to get better....grab one of those green apple thingys. :D

Ohhhhhhh!!! Good call!!:D :D

lepfan
04-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You need to show Bo how it's done! ;) It's bound to get better....grab one (or six) of those green apple thingys. :D You always have just the right words for a sista in need!!! :)

LH Panther Mom
04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
You always have just the right words for a sista in need!!! :) I do what I can. :)

mustang59
04-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Whew! I'd say you've had quite the day. Let's hope you can a better day tomorrow. What did you do to treat the dog bite?

smustangs
04-20-2007, 10:03 PM
just sit down with a few cold ones and relax

pirate4state
04-21-2007, 01:03 AM
send the hubby out for some more "pads" ROFL!

I'm sorry you had a crappy day. Hope the rest of the weekend is "uneventful" ;)

Ranger Mom
04-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I hurt today!!:(

Oh yeah....and the rattlesnake is dead!!

I know rattlesnakes have dens....but do they use the same one every year? We seems to find LOTS of baby rattlesnakes around here!!

BuffyMars
04-21-2007, 09:53 AM
I am so sorry! I hope you have a better day today!

Luckily, living in East Texas we don't have rattlesnake problems.

STANG RED
04-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I hurt today!!:(

Oh yeah....and the rattlesnake is dead!!

I know rattlesnakes have dens....but do they use the same one every year? We seems to find LOTS of baby rattlesnakes around here!!

Yes, they usually come back to the same den every year, and If your seeing babies, you have a den very close. Probably within 500 yards Id say.

Oh, and FYI, tell the boyfriend, rattle snakes laugh at pellet guns.

smustangs
04-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Yes, they usually come back to the same den every year, and If your seeing babies, you have a den very close. Probably within 500 yards Id say.

Oh, and FYI, tell the boyfriend, rattle snakes laugh at pellet guns.

when were out we carry a .22 pistol loaded w/ rat shot they dont seem to like that very much

Ranger Mom
04-21-2007, 09:19 PM
My birdbath fell off of its pedastal over the winter. I was cutting some plants to give my sister in law today and picked it up to set it back on the base and found another rattlesnake under it.

This is scary....that is probably around the 15th snake we have found in the backyard in the past 3 years....not to mention the ones we have found outside the yard!

I have 5 dogs back there.....I thought that would keep them away, but I guess not!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Where one rattlesnake dies, generally its mate appears the next day right where the other one lays. It's not always true, but I've seen it happen quite often.

Ranger Mom
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Where one rattlesnake dies, generally its mate appears the next day right where the other one lays. It's not always true, but I've seen it happen quite often.

These are just babies....surly their hormones aren't already raging!!!:eek:

DU_stud04
04-22-2007, 10:48 PM
These are just babies....surly their hormones aren't already raging!!!:eek: bow chicka bow wow:D

JJ7997
04-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Should we start calling you Rattler Mom instead of Ranger Mom ?

luvhoops34
04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
If you have a chain link fence around your yard, you could put up snake netting. That would keep the snakes out of your yard. Then if you found any, at least you would know that they came from inside the yard!:D

Reds fan
04-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Knowing you have dogs in the yard, this may sound silly, but cats are tremendous at keeping snake numbers down.

Ranger Mom
04-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
If you have a chain link fence around your yard, you could put up snake netting. That would keep the snakes out of your yard. Then if you found any, at least you would know that they came from inside the yard!:D

That just sent a shiver down my spine!!

Unfortunately, we have a picket fence.....our house sits on 4 acres and 2 of that is nothing but mesquite trees. We are surrounded by fields.

We have been fortunate so far that no once has got bitten.....I reached down last year to pull a weed and stuck my hand on one. The first one we found this weekend, my daughter was almost standing on.

Ranger Mom
04-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Knowing you have dogs in the yard, this may sound silly, but cats are tremendous at keeping snake numbers down.

Yeah...I know. But my dogs are tremendous at keeping the cat numbers down too!!:D

Reds fan
04-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah...I know. But my dogs are tremendous at keeping the cat numbers down too!!:D

LOL,,, I can certainly understand. Have both dogs and cats around here living in mutual bliss! That is not the norm.

Ranger Mom
04-23-2007, 08:53 AM
LOL,,, I can certainly understand. Have both dogs and cats around here living in mutual bliss! That is not the norm.

Out of the 5 dogs in the backyard, only one of them is a catkiller....but he is relentless.

Two cats live in the house with 3 dogs, and they are all best friends.

Reds fan
04-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Hope you are feeling better from the bite wounds you suffered!

Ranger Mom
04-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Hope you are feeling better from the bite wounds you suffered!

Just have a pretty good bruise.

Ironically, the reason that fight started was because one of the cats got in the backyard and the killer dog took off after it.

We were kicking him trying to get him away from her and the big dog pounced on him....then my two little ones tried to add their two cents worth. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, I guess!!

luvhoops34
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
RM, I know what you are going through with the snakes in your yard. We've killed three so far this spring. One was up next to the house under the electric meter. It nearly got me. I got to where I was walking around the yard with a big two by four, so I could protect myself!