PDA

View Full Version : 1985 NBA Draft Lottery Fixed?

District303aPastPlayer
04-20-2007, 09:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TgJE7C5wiU

Links while tossing around conspiracy theories

I have breaking news: After 22 years of jokes, we now have indisputable video evidence that something fishy happened with the 1985 NBA Lottery. David Stern thought all videotapes of the event had been destroyed ... but no!!!!!!!!!!!! You can find the entire 10-minute lottery on YouTube.

Just in case they pull down the clip between the time we post this blog and the time you read this, here's what happens: when an accountant from Ernst & Whinney throws the seven envelopes into the glass drum, he bangs the fourth one against the side of the drum to create a creased corner (we'll explain why this is relevant in a second). Then he pulls a handle and turns the drum around a couple of times to "mix" the envelopes up. At the 5:23 mark of the clip, Stern heads over to the drum, unlocks it and awkwardly reaches inside for the first envelope (the No. 1 pick). He grabs three envelopes that are bunched together, pretends not to look (although he does) and flips the three envelopes so the one on the bottom ends up in his hand. Then he pulls that envelope out at the 5:32 mark ... and, of course, it's the Knicks envelope.

Now ...

A reader named Greg K. from Fair Lawn, N.J. (I'd give you his whole name, but I don't want him to be randomly found dead in his bathtub tonight), pointed this out to me: If you look closely right at the 5:31 mark, right as the commish yanks that Knicks envelope out, there's a noticeable crease in the corner of the envelope. You can see it for a split-second -- as he pulls the envelope up, it's on the corner that's pointing toward the bottom of the jar.

There's a giant crease! It's right there! The same one the accountant created as he was throwing the envelopes into the drum!

So you're telling me that, out of the seven envelopes in that glass drum, during a lottery when the NBA desperately needed the most ballyhooed college center in 15 years to save the league's marquee franchise, the commissioner coincidentally pulled out the envelope with a giant crease in the corner that happened to have the Knicks logo in it? This is the Zapruder film of sports tapes, isn't it? Where's Oliver Stone? Can we pull him out of the editing room for the "Alexander: The Really, REALLY Long Director's Cut" DVD?

Three other things kill me about this tape: First, the host was Pat O'Brien, who's now relegated to stories like "Are Paris and Nicole feuding again? We'll have the story next!" Second, as Pat is pumping up Ewing's pro potential, he passes along a quote from a scouting director who said, "'We've had the Mikan era, the Russell era, the Kareem era ... now we'll have the Ewing era,' and he added, he doesn't see another era on the horizon." Good call, scouting director! And third, as the envelopes get counted down, it's legitimately exciting -- you could even call it the most exciting random sports moment ever. At least until May 22, 2007.

Rest of the story (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons)

Keith7
04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
doesn't surprise me.. the whole NBA playoffs are fixed too

injuredinmelee
04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
alert the press either Keith and I agree or he is patronizing me again... lol
The NBA isnt even watchable to me when i know its fixed.

Haunta Yo
04-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Bent corner on one of the envelopes that wasn't pick at 5:50.

Gobbla2001
04-20-2007, 01:58 PM
how do you rig three pointers and outside jumpers? :confused:

Gobbla2001
04-20-2007, 11:12 PM
for cereal... how do you rig three pointers and outside jump-shots?

while we're at it, why haven't any NBA players come out and said it's riggged? Honestly, if you're gunna rig a system, it's a lot easier when you have team players, but when you have so many guys coming in and out each year, one of 'em isn't gunna like it... why haven't they spoken out???

AND IF it is rigged, why hasn't Lebron James been spotlighted in the playoffs??? that'd be a big story... if they're riggin' it they must be doing something wrong, because from where I'm sitting it's the same ole teams with the same ole story-lines...

"but why there be so many game 7's? they must be wantin' us to watch them there games so much they make a buncha game 7's..."? Maybe because the top teams are playing top teams in the playoffs? I dunno...

Why don't we just go ahead and talk about the JFK conspiracy since we're feeling suspicious...

crzyjournalist03
04-20-2007, 11:27 PM
In the words of the great Phil C,

"O'Pious spectacle!!!":o

JR2004
04-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
for cereal... how do you rig three pointers and outside jump-shots?

while we're at it, why haven't any NBA players come out and said it's riggged? Honestly, if you're gunna rig a system, it's a lot easier when you have team players, but when you have so many guys coming in and out each year, one of 'em isn't gunna like it... why haven't they spoken out???

AND IF it is rigged, why hasn't Lebron James been spotlighted in the playoffs??? that'd be a big story... if they're riggin' it they must be doing something wrong, because from where I'm sitting it's the same ole teams with the same ole story-lines...

"but why there be so many game 7's? they must be wantin' us to watch them there games so much they make a buncha game 7's..."? Maybe because the top teams are playing top teams in the playoffs? I dunno...

Why don't we just go ahead and talk about the JFK conspiracy since we're feeling suspicious...

Well I'm still convinced that Game of the Western Finals in 2002 was greatly influenced by the referees and I think the league office had something to do with it. Heck I'm a giant Laker fan and even I could tell those referees were directly influencing the outcome in the 4th quarter of that game to the point where you knew something was really, really wrong. As bad at their job as NBA referees are, there's no way they could ever be as awful as they were that night without something telling them (Cough, worthless midget commissioner, cough) to help influence the outcome of the game.

Gobbla2001
04-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Well I'm still convinced that Game of the Western Finals in 2002 was greatly influenced by the referees and I think the league office had something to do with it. Heck I'm a giant Laker fan and even I could tell those referees were directly influencing the outcome in the 4th quarter of that game to the point where you knew something was really, really wrong. As bad at their job as NBA referees are, there's no way they could ever be as awful as they were that night without something telling them (Cough, worthless midget commissioner, cough) to help influence the outcome of the game.

refs can make all of the calls in the world that they want... but whose gunna stop the teams from playing basketball? no one...

maestro
04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
this is sooooo " last year".....meaning.....didn't EVERYONE know this when it happened??

my old college professor sure lectured us on how it was fixed...

he claimed to have inside knowledge that the playoff 7 game series are all pre arranged outcomes....

JR2004
04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
refs can make all of the calls in the world that they want... but whose gunna stop the teams from playing basketball? no one...

Go back and watch that 4th quarter...Now I loved it that my guys were on the receiving end of that "generous" officiating, but Queens fans have a legitimate gripe about that game.

Gobbla2001
04-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Go back and watch that 4th quarter...Now I loved it that my guys were on the receiving end of that "generous" officiating, but Queens fans have a legitimate gripe about that game.

one game... what about the rest of the 'series'???

JR2004
04-21-2007, 12:14 AM
one game... what about the rest of the 'series'???

Tell me which game was more pivotal than that one in that series? Prove to me that there is nothing, not one single thing in that ENTIRE 4th quartter that wasn't directly influenced by officials clearly taking a side. You can't do it with a straight face.

Again I was more than happy to have my team on the receiving end of that mess, but the tape from that game doesn't lie. It got the NBA what it wanted. It forced a game 7 and the rest is history.

Old Tiger
04-21-2007, 07:59 AM
NBA is almost as fake as professional wrestling.

Bull Butter
04-21-2007, 10:15 AM
On a similiar note, i seem to remember when the WNBA was formed, it was very ironic that Rebecca Lobo, who was widely regarded as the top woman player and the most widely recognized, somehow ended up with the New York team. It was almost as if the league wanted to guarantee that NY would have the strongest team.
Yet, it was the Houston Comets who won the first 4 WNBA titles.

I can't believe i actually know that much about the WNBA:confused: Phil would be proud of me.

DU_stud04
04-21-2007, 10:25 AM
why wouldnt you want every series to go to game 7? thats more money being made.