PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft the reason to blame for VT

Emerson1
04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Jack Thompson Blames Gates and Halo for VT Shooting

Last time we published a letter from Jack Thompson, we had to clarify it wasn't joke. His messianic words and biblical quotes indeed came from the attorney and Christian conservative activist obsessed with video game violence. Once again, we need to clarify that what you are about to read is a real letter coming from Thompson.

Game Almighty has received an email from Thompson that includes an open letter sent to Microsoft CEO Bill Gates. The letter reads as follows:

April 18, 2007

Bill Gates

Microsoft
1 Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 Via Fax and e-mail

Dear Mr. Gates:

On Monday, April 16, at 3:10 pm, I was a guest, as I often have been in the past, on the Fox News Channel. News anchor Bill Hemmer asked me to profile the Virginia Tech rampage killer. I did so, noting that until that day the worst school massacre in world history was at the hands of Robert Steinhaeuser, who literally trained on the Microsoft on-line, hyper-violent shooter game, Counterstrike. I mentioned your company’s game by name. I explained that the rehearsal for such a massacre is key to being able to pull it off, as efficiently as Cho, whose name we didn’t even know at the time. Cho and Steinhaeuser were able to do what they did the first time because it was not the first time. This is why the military uses this same virtual reality simulation to train soldiers to want to kill and how to kill calmly, as the witnesses of Cho said he did.

Sure enough, last night I was doing a west coast radio interview when the host said to me, "Mr. Thompson, you are right. The Washington Post is reporting right now the following:

‘Several Korean youths who knew Cho Seung Hui from his high school days said he was a fan of violent video games, particularly Counterstrike, a hugely popular online game published by Microsoft, in which players join terrorism or counterterrorism groups and try to shoot each other using all types of guns.’"

I thus went back on the Fox News Channel, and Bill Hemmer and I explained not only that I was right about your game figuring in the Virginia Tech massacre but also that the Washington Post excised the above excerpt from the story this morning. That is yet another story. The bad news for the Post however is that you can still get the excised excerpt at http://www.washingtonpost.com/...AR2007041700563_3.html?hpid=topnews. Thus, the cat is out of the bag, and his paw prints are still on the bag. Is this a great Internet, or what?

As you know, I similalry [sic] went on NBC’s Today Show with the DC Beltway Sniper still unidentified and at-large a few years ago and told Matt Lauer and the nation that the triggerman would most likely be a teen video gamer trained on a sniper video game. The tarot card was a clue, but there were other clues. I was right, as Malvo trained on your Microsoft game, Halo. NBC reported that three months later, and it was part of the criminal trial of Malvo.

Mr. Gates, your company is potentially legally liable the harm done at Virginia Tech. Your game, a killing simulator, according to the news that used to be in the Post, trained him to enjoy killing and how to kill. You knew five years ago that your on-line game, Counterstrike, so clearly figured in the massacre by a student in Erfurt that the event and the game impacted the race for Chancellor in Germany at the time!

Yet, here you are, five years after "Erfurt," still marketing Counterstrike. having done nothing to disable the server(s) for this mass murder simulator, and it looks like "Virginia Tech" is a consequence. There’s more going on in the world than Vista. Just ask the bereaved Virginia Tech families.

Mr. Gates, pull the plug on Counterstrike today, or do we need more dead to convince you? "Virginia Tech" was the 9-11 of school shootings, and it appears Microsoft is in the middle of it, in more ways than one.

Regards, Jack Thompson

This guy is the Al Sharpton of anti-anything over G movies. Sad to see this guy trying to profit over another tragedy.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 07:40 PM
And the blame game begins....why can't the guy just be a wack job?

Mustangpride09
04-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Video games had nothing to do with the VT shooting.

Jason1725
04-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Yep pass the buck, it's the video games he played. No it's the guns. How about it's maybe because the guy chose to sin and murder people. Maybe it's because the morals of people now days are not even close to what they were just 50 years ago. Maybe it's because instead of taking responsibility for ones actions we have to blame it on something as a sociaty. The shooter had many excuses why he decided to kill innocent people, maybe he's been watching the politicians over the past few decades do the same thing. Blaming rock music to now blaming video games. I play video games that require you to shoot people but I know that isn't an excuse for going on mass killings. How about we just say the guy had problems and made a choice using his free will. When Cain killed Abel what was the excuse then, vegatables?

Gobbla2001
04-19-2007, 10:13 PM
so if I sit out and snipe people, I can blame it on my grandfather taking me hunting when I was a little boy?

I'll be the first to admit, the guy may have gotten his inspiration from the game, but that was his decision, and one other guy's decision, not microsoft's...

Gobbla2001
04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
wait, maybe I'm the idiot here...

I mean I've been playing Call of Duty for a while now... why haven't I gone out and blasted people yet??? I must be a dumbass...

ORRRRR... I'm not an insane guy who wants to shoot a buncha people...

smustangs
04-19-2007, 10:20 PM
it has nothing to do with guns, video games, music, tv or anything most of the people who commit this hanious acts have mental problems basically like casey said he was a wack job

Macarthur
04-19-2007, 10:31 PM
There's no question the guy was nuts.

However, I do think there is a desensitization to violence within society in general. I'm not in favor of censorship. I'm just really worried about where this all ends. Sure, there have always been nut jobs, but the realism of the video games has never been better. I'm not sure what the answer is, but you have to admit that for someone as sick as this guy, those games offer amazing simulation.

BTW, I'm not a Bible thumper so I'm certainly not coming at it from that perspective.

smustangs
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
There's no question the guy was nuts.

However, I do think there is a desensitization to violence within society in general. I'm not in favor of censorship. I'm just really worried about where this all ends. Sure, there have always been nut jobs, but the realism of the video games has never been better. I'm not sure what the answer is, but you have to admit that for someone as sick as this guy, those games offer amazing simulation.

BTW, I'm not a Bible thumper so I'm certainly not coming at it from that perspective.

ya but in no way can you tell me that because i play violent games or my cousin who has a mental disorder plays them that me or him are goin to go out and commit mass murder. yes the graphics are crazy on stuff right now but you cant possibly tell me you believe that games make someone kill thats like the statment guns kill people they can only do so if someone makes them

Macarthur
04-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
ya but in no way can you tell me that because i play violent games or my cousin who has a mental disorder plays them that me or him are goin to go out and commit mass murder. yes the graphics are crazy on stuff right now but you cant possibly tell me you believe that games make someone kill thats like the statment guns kill people they can only do so if someone makes them

Well, first of all, I never said the video game made him do it. Don't put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is that it seems pretty clear that to someone with his type of mental problems it is difficult to seperate reality from the "simulation".

And don't give me that guns don't kill people arguement. That's a bunch of rubbish. How the hell did a guy that had spent time in a mental institution walk into a damn shop and buy a freaking gun! Had he not been able to get that gun, those kids would be alive today. Guns may not kill people but they make it a hell of a lot easier to kill in quantity. How successful would this kid have been if he had to do all of it with a knife?

And before you start, I'm not a gun control nut. However, I do think the ease with which someone like this kid (well documented history of mental illness) can get a gun is freaking criminal. We need some common sense with regards to guns in this country.

smustangs
04-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Well, first of all, I never said the video game made him do it. Don't put words in my mouth. All I'm saying is that it seems pretty clear that to someone with his type of mental problems it is difficult to seperate reality from the "simulation".

And don't give me that guns don't kill people arguement. That's a bunch of rubbish. How the hell did a guy that had spent time in a mental institution walk into a damn shop and buy a freaking gun! Had he not been able to get that gun, those kids would be alive today. Guns may not kill people but they make it a hell of a lot easier to kill in quantity. How successful would this kid have been if he had to do all of it with a knife?

And before you start, I'm not a gun control nut. However, I do think the ease with which someone like this kid (well documented history of mental illness) can get a gun is freaking criminal. We need some common sense with regards to guns in this country.

i dont nor will i ever that games train killers, and i cant say i argue w/ putting more stipulations on obtaining a gun but all i have to say is that if he couldnt have gotten one legally he could have still gotten one just like drugs i can make a few phone calls and have them and there not legal

Macarthur
04-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
i dont nor will i ever that games train killers, and i cant say i argue w/ putting more stipulations on obtaining a gun but all i have to say is that if he couldnt have gotten one legally he could have still gotten one just like drugs i can make a few phone calls and have them and there not legal

No doubt that the illegal gun trade is the big issue here. I don't know what the answer is either. What is scary is the government has no idea how many guns there are in this country currently. One estimate I saw was that around 5 million guns are manufactured and imported into this country each year. Given that guns "wear out" rather slowly, you can only imagine what the total is. :eek:

Keep in mind, this particular crime I believe to be highly preventable. It really appears there was a breakdown in the effectiveness of the "background check" system.