PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell and His Policies

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I think it will hurt the league more than help it. What does everyone else think?

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Not sure how a policy that forces people to be held accountable would be bad

Maroon87
04-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Not sure how a policy that forces people to be held accountable would be bad

Agreed.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Punishing players who are not convicted or facing charges and punishing teams for non convicted players is not good. I think it is too strict and everyone will grow tired of players being suspended for things that they have not been convicted or charged with.

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Punishing players who are not convicted or facing charges and punishing teams for non convicted players is not good. I think it is too strict and everyone will grow tired of players being suspended for things that they have not been convicted or charged with.

If it is a one time event then I agree..BUT if someone has been questioned by the police MULTIPLE times...like say TEN in connection ith something..then it cannot all be wrong place wrong time type of deal

Maroon87
04-19-2007, 04:15 PM
You don't have to be convicted of anything to be disciplined by your employer. All you have to do is violate company policy.

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
You don't have to be convicted of anything to be disciplined by your employer. All you have to do is violate company policy. :clap: :clap: :clap: Well said!

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Think of how crazy some fans are and now that they know about this new policy they can use it against a player if they don't get the autograph they want or get frustrated with his recent play.

Txbroadcaster
04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Think of how crazy some fans are and now that they know about this new policy they can use it against a player if they don't get the autograph they want or get frustrated with his recent play.

Sorry but that is extreme...Cops are not just going to go talk to someone about a possible felony without some proof

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Sorry but that is extreme...Cops are not just going to go talk to someone about a possible felony without some proof Goodell said any incidents with the police.

JR2004
04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
I think it will hurt the league more than help it. What does everyone else think?

I think this is probably one of those deals that looks great right now, but I think the precedent they are setting is a bad one. Pacman has acted like a complete moron and he's brought this upon himself, but last time I checked this is the United States of America and not Mexico. However the NFL and the NFLPA (What a weak joke of a player's union) seem to think it is Mexico and feel the need to ship Pacman out before he's been convicted.

They want to suspend him once he's actually been convicted of something, go for it. He hasn't been yet and if he isn't convicted of anything (He's a pro athlete, these guys tend to get off scot free when they shouldn't) it wouldn't shock me to see this wind up in court and get overturned.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I think this is probably one of those deals that looks great right now, but I think the precedent they are setting is a bad one. Pacman has acted like a complete moron and he's brought this upon himself, but last time I checked this is the United States of America and not Mexico. However the NFL and the NFLPA (What a weak joke of a player's union) seem to think it is Mexico and feel the need to ship Pacman out before he's been convicted.

They want to suspend him once he's actually been convicted of something, go for it. He hasn't been yet and if he isn't convicted of anything (He's a pro athlete, these guys tend to get off scot free when they shouldn't) it wouldn't shock me to see this wind up in court and get overturned. Odds are it's players who are 30+ and still in the league that went to Goodell about this. Times are changing and so are the attitudes of the younger players. The league should adapt to this younger generation instead of bring them down.

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Odds are it's players who are 30+ and still in the league that went to Goodell about this. Times are changing and so are the attitudes of the younger players. The league should adapt to this younger generation instead of bring them down. Or maybe they should stay out of trouble....just a thought. ;)

JR2004
04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Odds are it's players who are 30+ and still in the league that went to Goodell about this. Times are changing and so are the attitudes of the younger players. The league should adapt to this younger generation instead of bring them down.

Well I kind of feel that even the younger guys should be trying to act right. I just don't agree with suspending a guy for a year when he hasn't been convicted. Pacman really pisses me off with his attitude and how he conducts himself, but a court of law should convict him of something before the NFL brings the thunder down on him.

I think an inordinate amount of time has been wasted on this issue by both the players and owners. I'd be more interested in seeing them do something for all the retired players who are dealing with depression like Ted Johnson and others who have serious health problems that are related to their days as a player in the league. I feel pretty strongly that the NFL does an extremely bad job taking care of its ex-players and more focus should be paid to those issues than this.

The irony of the situation is that a lot of these vets are going to one day be in the same position that a lot of older players are in and they'll look back and see how much time they wasted on junk. Instead of trying to make sure they'll be taken care of when they get older, they more/less ignore those issues because it's something that doesn't have an immediate impact on any of them.

GreenMonster
04-19-2007, 10:31 PM
If there is any question about your integrity then you should expect to be placed on suspension/leave of abscence until that question has been answered whether it be by a jury of your peers or the case is dropped all together. I don't think it is asking too much of the NFL's players to be accountable for their off field behavior. These guys are being paid huge sums of money to play a game, the least that they can do is stay out of trouble.

big daddy russ
04-19-2007, 11:28 PM
I think every player deserves to be tried first, but I like his hard-line approach. Sure, it needs to be tweaked to protect the innocent, but it's a nice departure from the way things used to be.