PDA

View Full Version : Student arrested at Cuero Jr. High

gobbler84
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
An 8th grade student was caught with a gun today at Cuero Jr. High...

mustang04
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
An 8th grade student was caught with a gun today at Cuero Jr. High...

and to think he could have been a great track star someday

injuredinmelee
04-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe OU will still recruit him.

Fal44
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I think Miami might send him an offer...

44INAROW
04-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Handgun found in student's backpack at Cuero junior high
April 19, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY SONNY LONG - VICTORIA ADVOCATE
CUERO - School staff members found a handgun in the backpack of a Cuero junior high school student Wednesday afternoon.

Principal Jan Reeve said a search of the student's backpack unrelated to the gun led to the discovery of the firearm.

"I had no idea we'd find a gun," said the principal, who added that the student was in her office for other disciplinary reasons. Reeve said school district staff assisted in searching student backpacks, in keeping with the district's crisis management plan.

Cuero Police Chief Glenn Mutchler said the incident happened about 2:30 p.m., the last period of the day and the school was immediately put on lock down.

"Once the gun was found, the lockdown was lifted and everyone went home," the police chief said.

School dismissed at its normal time and no other campuses were affected.

In a letter to parents sent home to parents with students, Reeve and superintendent Henry Lind wrote, "Today at the junior high campus, a handgun was found. All students and teachers were advised of the situation and all student backpacks were searched. There was only one gun on campus.

"Legal and disciplinary actions will be followed to the fullest degree/extent."

The letter did not elaborate on what led to the gun being found, and school officials were unavailable for comment.

The juvenile has been charged with carrying a weapon on school grounds, said Mutchler. He was taken into custody and transported to the Victoria juvenile detention facility by Cuero Police.

Sonny Long is a reporter for the Advocate. Contact him at 361-275-6319 or cueroadv@vicad.com, or comment on this story here.

htowntransplant
04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
yeah because thats exactly what we need. :mad: i wonder why he did that...

Ranger Mom
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm confused... they article makes it sound like they were looking for something else in the backpacka and accidently ran across a gun, but then it says the school went into lockdown until the gun was found!