PDA

View Full Version : Was this Sandifer's best coaching effort?

VWG
12-06-2003, 06:19 PM
In a "rebuilding" year, was this Sandifer's best coaching job?
Also, how much jack is Sandifer making? Reason for asking is most coaches with Sandifer's qualities have been "promoted" if you will to a bigger challenge. Look at coaches who win and move on to larger schools or even the college ranks. Sandifer must be pulling down major bucks from the Wylie faithful, plus a key to the city of Abilene, for staying put in West Texas for all these years.

Wbulldogs
12-06-2003, 06:31 PM
VWG:
In a "rebuilding" year, was this Sandifer's best coaching job?
Also, how much jack is Sandifer making? Reason for asking is most coaches with Sandifer's qualities have been "promoted" if you will to a bigger challenge. Look at coaches who win and move on to larger schools or even the college ranks. Sandifer must be pulling down major bucks from the Wylie faithful, plus a key to the city of Abilene, for staying put in West Texas for all these years.Coach Sandifer did a great job this year building this team up after all the hoot and holler saying this years wylie bulldogs wouldnt even win district and maybe not even playoffs...and as for him not goin to a bigger school or even college, i think it is somethin deeper than the money and wealth but he loves coaching the wylie bulldogs year in and year out, and always prepares the team to the best of his ability, look for great teams in the future under this head coach

VWG
12-06-2003, 10:32 PM
No offense JR, but most coaches have a burning desire to see how good they are at the next level. Look at the coach who came to Richland High School this year from Olathe, KS. He had won 6 state titles in Kansas and wanted to coach in Texas. The guy took over a sub .500 team and took them to the playoffs this year. Or how about Art Briles, from Stephenville to Texas Tech asst. coach and now HC at U of Houston.
Or Kelly West at Mineral Wells, Kent Jackson at Sweetwater, heck even Leo Brittain left Vernon for the bigger classifications after winning state titles in Vernon. (West left a smaller school after success there to take the MW job, and Jackson left 2A Olney after taking them deep into the playoffs)
I've heard of coaches getting "side deals" to help the cash flow out, and Wylie's school system is not poor by any means. But.. you would still think Sandifer has several offers to move on and up to a larger school or even a college position.

Jacket2000
12-06-2003, 11:07 PM
While Im sure Coach Sandifer is a great coach, I dont think he's done anything that would put him in hot demand with bigger programs.
Besides, Im sure he's making good money, he's in a good community to live in, and while they're at least competitive every year, he has yet to bring home a title. So, I can definately see why he wouldnt want to leave just yet, even if they were beatin' down his door.
J2K

VWG
12-07-2003, 04:35 PM
I thought that Wylie did win a title, back in '97 or '98?

Dink&dunk7
12-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Nope. Got to the title in 2001 I think and came up just short 14-10 to Gatesville.

wildstangs
12-07-2003, 04:39 PM
VWG:
I thought that Wylie did win a title, back in '97 or '98?No, they lost to Gatesville in the 2000 finals, I believe it was 14-10. Help me Wylie folks.

Adidas410s
12-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Wylie made the semis in 1994, finals in 2000, and semis this year. The talent has not always been there in Wylie. Before Sandifer came it had been a long time since they had had a good team and now they have a quality program.

Adidas410s
12-07-2003, 05:55 PM
VWG:
No offense JR, but most coaches have a burning desire to see how good they are at the next level. Look at the coach who came to Richland High School this year from Olathe, KS. He had won 6 state titles in Kansas and wanted to coach in Texas. The guy took over a sub .500 team and took them to the playoffs this year. Or how about Art Briles, from Stephenville to Texas Tech asst. coach and now HC at U of Houston.
Or Kelly West at Mineral Wells, Kent Jackson at Sweetwater, heck even Leo Brittain left Vernon for the bigger classifications after winning state titles in Vernon. (West left a smaller school after success there to take the MW job, and Jackson left 2A Olney after taking them deep into the playoffs)
I've heard of coaches getting "side deals" to help the cash flow out, and Wylie's school system is not poor by any means. But.. you would still think Sandifer has several offers to move on and up to a larger school or even a college position.I guess that you have never heard of Gordon Wood huh? :p (j/k) Wood tried moving up to a big program in Victoria but it just wasnt the right move for him so he spent the rest of his days in Brownwood. I think it is a forgone conclusion that Wood received many offers every year from the elite HS programs as well as many colleges. To some people its not about the money or the classification that you coach in. Think of Sandifer staying at Abilene as the equivilent of a middle manager in a corporation not wanting to promote to the peak of the organization. He has moved into a position that he is comfortable at and doesnt want to leave it. Why because you are successful in 3A do you HAVE to keep moving up to bigger and better things? Evidently he likes his situation @ Wylie the best or he would leave...that being said I hope that he doesn't ever leave so that many more Wylie students can be impacted by such a great man...

VWG
12-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Adidas410s:

VWG:
I've heard of coaches getting "side deals" to help the cash flow out, and Wylie's school system is not poor by any means. But.. you would still think Sandifer has several offers to move on and up to a larger school or even a college position.I guess that you have never heard of Gordon Wood huh? :p (j/k) Wood tried moving up to a big program in Victoria but it just wasnt the right move for him so he spent the rest of his days in Brownwood. I think it is a forgone conclusion that Wood received many offers every year from the elite HS programs as well as many colleges. To some people its not about the money or the classification that you coach in. Think of Sandifer staying at Abilene as the equivilent of a middle manager in a corporation not wanting to promote to the peak of the organization. He has moved into a position that he is comfortable at and doesnt want to leave it. Why because you are successful in 3A do you HAVE to keep moving up to bigger and better things? Evidently he likes his situation @ Wylie the best or he would leave...that being said I hope that he doesn't ever leave so that many more Wylie students can be impacted by such a great man...I agree, Coach Sandifer is one heck of a coach. Any program would want him as their HC/AD.
The guy wins year in and year out, and he is also one of the best at preparing and making adjustments before and during gametime.
If Wylie keeps growing, you never know... with Abilene High and Cooper losing kids left and right...could we see a 4A district with 3 Abilene schools in the next few years?
How strong would that be? Cooper, Abilene High, Wylie, Brownwood.... man, tough district in any sport.