PDA

View Full Version : The State Of Rockdale Tigers Athletics

Milk That Cow
04-17-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't know if it's ever been this bad in Rockdale before...

I mean THE TIGERS were HUGE in the 70's, Winners in the 80's, and Competed Big Time in the 90's but now it's just bad...

Very Bad...

Look at this year, ( and the last few years have been much of the same...)

FOOTBALL- Dead Last in District, Seven Game losing Streak to end the season, No Wins in District, Largest Margin of Defeat EVER to rival Cameron Yoe

BASKETBALL - Next to Last in District, didn't make the playoffs

TRACK - Dead Last at District Track Meet, very few qualified for regionals

BASEBALL - Dead Last in District, struggling to win a game in District, in a long losing streak...

TENNIS AND GOLF - do they really matter...

Let's Go Rockdale

Get This Thing Turned Around....

I Care because I still have Family There...

that is all...

txhsfball
04-18-2007, 02:53 AM
wish i could give you a good reason for why it has been so bad lately. talent is not great, but alot better than what is shown in our results.. should get better in the next couple of years..

Old Tiger
04-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by txhsfball
wish i could give you a good reason for why it has been so bad lately. talent is not great, but alot better than what is shown in our results.. should get better in the next couple of years.. The young talent pool is good. An experience sophomore QB will take over the team next year and will be VERY exciting to watch.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-18-2007, 08:03 AM
There are definitely young men and women working hard there, there is no doubt about that. I think the problem lies elsewhere than the athletes themselves, but that's just me.

87 TIGER
04-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Yes I agree we should be winning more in all sports. You left out our one and only bright spot....SOFTBALL. Rockdale had a 32 game district win streak going until a week ago, that dates back until 2003. I see that alot of the kids dont believe in themselves, there is some talent coming up and they will be better in all sports. and yes tennis & golf do count
long time Tiger

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Rockdale had a 32 game district win streak going until a week ago, that dates back until 2003.
I wish I had been able to watch that game. From hearing some of our girls talking, it was definitely exciting!

I see that alot of the kids dont believe in themselves, That can definitely make a difference, along with believing in each other and the coaches. Hopefully that can change, if it's the case.

Johnny Utah
04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Every school and team has a cycle of athletes. Rockdale has been on one of those cycles. They are in an upswing with the talented classes coming though. Look at Sealy Football in the 90's, amazing record. Down in the 2000's. It happens. Rockdale has been through some coaches, hopefully they will stay and get it going again.

sicem74
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Yes I agree we should be winning more in all sports. You left out our one and only bright spot....SOFTBALL. Rockdale had a 32 game district win streak going until a week ago, that dates back until 2003. I see that alot of the kids dont believe in themselves, there is some talent coming up and they will be better in all sports. and yes tennis & golf do count
long time Tiger

..................................is softball a sport

LOL

44INAROW
04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow

TENNIS AND GOLF - do they really matter...

yes they do;)

pirate4state
04-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sicem74

LOL

ummmmm, yes it is

Ray_BearKat
04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
ummmmm, yes it is

I concur...

Milk That Cow
04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I apologize upfront if this offends anyone...

But, when you have to defend the athletics success(or lack of in Tigerland) by bragging about girls sports.....

You have hit rock bottom when it comes to overall pride with an athletics program..

Johnny Utah
04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Milk, I do have a question. It seems as if you might have been in Rockdale at one time, fired perhaps? Just asking, not trying to offend. I was in that area, Rockdale specifically from 1990-1996. The football team made the playoffs 3 times(no playoff wins, lost to Sealy, Bellville and Burnet), same with basketball(state tourney once), baseball just once(lost to Bellville), Softball 94-96 when the program was started and made the playoffs each of those years, 1 playoff win. Track was dominating during that time. Rock had ATHLETES!!! Sometimes it might be the toughness of the district and area as well. I do know during that 6 year time span PJ Williams won State in the 300 hurdles, they had two 7foot high jumpers, Travis Ortega went to Rice to play football, Stefan Ruiz played college baseball along with some others, but the Rock could never beat Giddings in football!!! Go figure!!! Tough district, region, area loaded with athletes to say the least!

XMan
04-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I dont have anything to do with Rockdale and havent seen them play recently but can maybe explain a few things. Few years back when things were still going well, their football coach leaves or gets fired. Rockdale brings in guy from Burnet. Burnet is football, football, football. New coach comes in and cleans house, brings in all "his" guys. There were surely some coaches in Rockdale who had been doing a good job that were told not to come back. This hot shot coach comes in, stays a year or two and then gets out while the getting is good. Now, another new coach has to come in and find another group of replacements. In my experience, whenever this sort of turnover occurs, it is not a good thing for the entire program.

just my .02

Johnny Utah
04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Good point X.

Old Tiger
04-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I apologize upfront if this offends anyone...

But, when you have to defend the athletics success(or lack of in Tigerland) by bragging about girls sports.....

You have hit rock bottom when it comes to overall pride with an athletics program.. How is that? How can you hide behind a computer and talk down on kids who put in so much hard work when sometimes the ball doesn't bounce the right way.

Originally posted by XMan
I dont have anything to do with Rockdale and havent seen them play recently but can maybe explain a few things. Few years back when things were still going well, their football coach leaves or gets fired. Rockdale brings in guy from Burnet. Burnet is football, football, football. New coach comes in and cleans house, brings in all "his" guys. There were surely some coaches in Rockdale who had been doing a good job that were told not to come back. This hot shot coach comes in, stays a year or two and then gets out while the getting is good. Now, another new coach has to come in and find another group of replacements. In my experience, whenever this sort of turnover occurs, it is not a good thing for the entire program.

just my .02 When the Burnet coach left to go to Midlothian he took a lot out of these kids because he put so much trust into them and was not honest with them from the front. I knew a couple months before that he was a finalist for the job then about a month and a half before he left I found out he got the job and I told some of the younger athletes and they did not beleive me. Two weeks later I found out he purchased a house in Midlothian and he still had not told them. Then all of a sudden he breaks it out. Most of those kids asked him and he refused to tell them too. It was quite sad how much trust he put into them and then to crush it by a move like that.

Darren
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
The young talent pool is good. An experience sophomore QB will take over the team next year and will be VERY exciting to watch.

Maybe..... But it sounds like wishful thinking. I wish Rockdale, Cameron, Caldwell and Giddings were still in the same district those were the good old days.

I would like to see Rockdale back in the mix but I think that there might be a bit of a recovery process ( 2 or 3 more years of poor seasons).

Milk That Cow
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Milk, I do have a question. It seems as if you might have been in Rockdale at one time, fired perhaps?

Nope never worked there just have family there and have always followed the Tigers through the years...

Old Tiger
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Maybe..... But it sounds like wishful thinking. I wish Rockdale, Cameron, Caldwell and Giddings were still in the same district those were the good old days.

I would like to see Rockdale back in the mix but I think that there might be a bit of a recovery process ( 2 or 3 more years of poor seasons). It's amazing what a QB does for a team though Darren :)

Brock's freshmen year yall had that one dude at QB and we stomped yall 26-0 then Brock comes in and on geez, game over.

Johnny Utah
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Tiger WR that happens in Coaching, but most coaches are honest with their players, very upfront and not misleading. Rockdale will recover.

Milk That Cow
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
How is that? How can you hide behind a computer and talk down on kids who put in so much hard work when sometimes the ball doesn't bounce the right way.

Hey, I'm not talking down on kids..

I love kids who are in athletics as it is a true developer of character that they will use for the rest of their lives....

I'm glad people still care and are passionate about it...

Because since they do keep score, "winning" is still important, and the results have consistently shown lately that it's not going well in Tigerland...

Johnny Utah
04-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I still think it is a down cycle, just been longer than most for whatever reason. Rockdale, Cameron, Elgin, Manor, Giddings, Hearne and Caldwell was one tough district!!!! Anyone ever see Wesley Williams from Manor play basketball? WOW!!!!

Iknowalot
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM

You're right ....... from the field that I see you have in Cameron, softball isn't a sport there. Or it isn't taken seriously there.

Old Tiger
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Iknowalot
You're right ....... from the field that I see you have in Cameron, softball isn't a sport there. Or it isn't taken seriously there. Which is a reason that they have only won like maybe 2 district games if that the past 3 years.

Iknowalot
04-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I saw that cow pasture they call a baseball field too. Shame that Drayton McLane (owner of the Astros) is a graduate of Cameron and the best he can do is an advertisement on the outfield fence with the Astros logo that was retired 10 years ago. I also like the mismatched light poles.

c-town_balla
04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
i dont really see anything wrong with our softball field.....ive seen worse.........our baseball field is bad......but we take care of it. when a storm knocks down lightpoles are we suposed to not get new ones? i guess the baseball field makes the team ...you know since 2003 we have

bi-district
regional
regional
state quarter finals

i mean wow just think what we could do if we had a good field. Its not like its the schools field and we have contol of it. its the citys field............we are getting a new one....soon i hope

CenTexSports
04-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I agree that the Cameron city fields are poor to fair but as was mentioned above, new ones are being built this year. Before next year, there will be a new city park with a state of the art pool system and many more attractions. A local lawyer donated the land between the elementry and middle school (beside the current track) and the ground has been broken for a new ball complex. It should be very nice.

Iknowalot
04-19-2007, 07:59 AM
That's my point exactly......the school district shouldn't have waited this long to give the softball and baseball teams the respect of having a nice facility to play on. I was through there the other day and saw the sign that said where the future softball field is going to be built. I'm just sad it's taken so long. You would think that you would get a little help from such an distinguished alumnus such as McLane.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2007, 08:08 AM
The young talent pool is good. An experience sophomore QB will take over the team next year and will be VERY exciting to watch.

He'll have a chance to be the starting quarterback, but he has an even better chance of riding the pine until he's a senior. There is a junior coming up that you or hardly anyone else is giving credit to.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
He'll have a chance to be the starting quarterback, but he has an even better chance of riding the pine until he's a senior. There is a junior coming up that you or hardly anyone else is giving credit to. If that junior was going to be QB he would of been on varsity last year. Joe will be the starter. That kid is mega talented and it showed when he came in what he is capable of. That is another thing that hurts Rockdale is having a QB one year then another the next. Three year starters do wonders. Look at Randy Kitchens.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Iknowalot
That's my point exactly......the school district shouldn't have waited this long to give the softball and baseball teams the respect of having a nice facility to play on. I was through there the other day and saw the sign that said where the future softball field is going to be built. I'm just sad it's taken so long. You would think that you would get a little help from such an distinguished alumnus such as McLane. That sign has been there for like 3 years or so.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2007, 10:11 AM
If that junior was going to be QB he would of been on varsity last year. Joe will be the starter. That kid is mega talented and it showed when he came in what he is capable of. That is another thing that hurts Rockdale is having a QB one year then another the next. Three year starters do wonders. Look at Randy Kitchens.

He never got to play because he had a broken ankle...

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 10:12 AM
He never got to play because he had a broken ankle... Then why didn't they move Joe down and him up when his ankle was healed?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Then why didn't they move Joe down and him up when his ankle was healed?

What would have been the point of that? I don't think Mark even played again after the first game of the season, and even if he did, it would have been stupid to repay Joe by demoting him after he stepped up and got virtually no playing time in order to help out the varsity team.

CenTexSports
04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
The new Ball complex had an electronic sign installed last week.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
What would have been the point of that? I don't think Mark even played again after the first game of the season, and even if he did, it would have been stupid to repay Joe by demoting him after he stepped up and got virtually no playing time in order to help out the varsity team. He played in district and Joe will be the starter he's more athletic and has a better arm than Mark.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2007, 10:19 AM
He played in district and Joe will be the starter he's more athletic and has a better arm than Mark.

That's up for debate. They're both fast and athletic, Mark is bigger and has an arm that is just as good as any quarterback Rockdale has had in the past 15-20 years. Should be interesting to see who gets the nod, but either way they're both going to play and contribute next year no matter what position they're put at, they're both very versatile.

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
That's up for debate. They're both fast and athletic, Mark is bigger and has an arm that is just as good as any quarterback Rockdale has had in the past 15-20 years. Should be interesting to see who gets the nod, but either way they're both going to play and contribute next year no matter what position they're put at, they're both very versatile. Your definately over-hyping him.

Mark should stick to safety or something.

LH Panther Mom
04-19-2007, 10:22 AM
How is that? How can you hide behind a computer and talk down on kids who put in so much hard work when sometimes the ball doesn't bounce the right way.

Your definately over-hyping him.

Mark should stick to safety or something. :thinking: :thinking: :doh:

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:thinking: :thinking: :doh: I'm not talking down on him. I just think the younger QB is better and that Mark should worry about defense and getting better at the safety position.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Your definately over-hyping him.

Mark should stick to safety or something.

No, you're just not giving him enough credit. A great example of a quarterback who didn't have the greatest arm out there and led his team to a successful year is Drew Hirt. The fundamentals of a player and leadership capabilities can take them a long way, regardless of whether or not they can throw the football 70 yards, that's my only point.

87 TIGER
04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
No, you're just not giving him enough credit. A great example of a quarterback who didn't have the greatest arm out there and led his team to a successful year is Drew Hirt. The fundamentals of a player and leadership capabilities can take them a long way, regardless of whether or not they can throw the football 70 yards, that's my only point. I'm not taking anything away from Drew, but that team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. great disscussion on who the starter will be but there could be another qb moving in, if that happens it will get real interesting.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm not taking anything away from Drew, but that team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. great disscussion on who the starter will be but there could be another qb moving in, if that happens it will get real interesting.

Yes, but they believed in Drew to get the job done. All I'm saying is that the leadership and character qualities of an individual can lead to success for an individual and a team. It's not a knock on Sanders, it's just that Mark is older and more mature, and I have been given the impression more than once that there are more kids willing to follow Mark than there are Joseph. I could be wrong, though.

Milk That Cow
04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
So what's the prediction for the 2007 Season?

Will they win a district game?

Will they beat Cameron Yoe?

Will they make the Playoffs?

Will they "shock" the world and win the district championships?

What's the word in Tigerland?

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 02:29 PM
So what's the prediction for the 2007 Season?

Will they win a district game?

Will they beat Cameron Yoe?

Will they make the Playoffs?

Will they "shock" the world and win the district championships?

What's the word in Tigerland? I think LH will roll district. If everything works out and things get better I see playoffs being; Liberty Hill, Rockdale, Taylor(No particular order).

Old Tiger
04-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm not taking anything away from Drew, but that team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. great disscussion on who the starter will be but there could be another qb moving in, if that happens it will get real interesting. Elaborate please. :)

87 TIGER
04-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Elaborate please. :) Not yet maybe another week and i'll spill the beans. Hey I could be wrong, only time will tell.

txhsfball
04-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Not yet maybe another week and i'll spill the beans. Hey I could be wrong, only time will tell.

that would be sweet, let those other two play reciever and dbs.. Casey how did you find out who the starting qb is going to be before any of the coaches???

Old Tiger
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Not yet maybe another week and i'll spill the beans. Hey I could be wrong, only time will tell. Ah! Your going to kill me with this suspense :p

rockdale80
04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not taking anything away from Drew, but that team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. great disscussion on who the starter will be but there could be another qb moving in, if that happens it will get real interesting.

We may have been talented, but I like to think we were just a bunch of over achievers that never would quit. We wouldnt have had the season we had without him...I can assure you of that.

ILS1
04-23-2007, 09:08 PM
I think LH will roll district. If everything works out and things get better I see playoffs being; Liberty Hill, Rockdale, Taylor(No particular order).

I don't see Rockdale making the playoffs next year either. I think the 3 will be: Liberty Hill,Taylor and Hutto.

:D :D

Old Tiger
04-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I don't see Rockdale making the playoffs next year either. I think the 3 will be: Liberty Hill,Taylor and Hutto.

:D :D Eh...Hutto? They lost Jermey and Howie and quite a bit of talent.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Rockdale will make the playoffs next year. Miller has done an outstanding job with those guys, and they really look up to their coaches. I expect big things out of them, they're working really hard, together, and that's something that hasn't happened in Rockdale for the past few years. I genuinely think they believe that they can make the playoffs.

Old Tiger
04-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Rockdale will make the playoffs next year. Miller has done an outstanding job with those guys, and they really look up to their coaches. I expect big things out of them, they're working really hard, together, and that's something that hasn't happened in Rockdale for the past few years. I genuinely think they believe that they can make the playoffs. I agree with what you say. The only question i have is the interior of the offensive line. They will be a bit small.

hutex04
04-23-2007, 11:08 PM
I agree Rockdale with make the playoffs next year in football along with Liberty Hill and Cameron Yoe. I just dont see Hutto doing anything next year in football we lost alot of talent and jv had a decent year (i think they went 6-3?). So nothing too outstanding coming in next year. But than again i hope iam wrong and we kick some arse

Old Tiger
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
I agree Rockdale with make the playoffs next year in football along with Liberty Hill and Cameron Yoe. I just dont see Hutto doing anything next year in football we lost alot of talent and jv had a decent year (i think they went 6-3?). So nothing too outstanding coming in next year. But than again i hope iam wrong and we kick some arse I highly doubt Cameron. They lost a lot of talent too. LH will win hands down. Then Taylor/Hutto then Rockdale. No particular order on 2cd and 3rd.

hutex04
04-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah i dont know anything about Cameron yoe next year. I just think they get in cause they are a traditionaly good team. But Rockdale for sure is in the playoffs next year. Liberty Hill will kill everyone in district again tho haha :(

Old Tiger
04-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
Yeah i dont know anything about Cameron yoe next year. I just think they get in cause they are a traditionaly good team. But Rockdale for sure is in the playoffs next year. Liberty Hill will kill everyone in district again tho haha :( Last year they literally killed us.

They had 28 points before we had a first down

ILS1
04-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Rockdale will make the playoffs next year. Miller has done an outstanding job with those guys, and they really look up to their coaches. I expect big things out of them, they're working really hard, together, and that's something that hasn't happened in Rockdale for the past few years. I genuinely think they believe that they can make the playoffs.

Rose colored glasses!!!!

:D

RdaleBoi08
04-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Both Qb's Are Lookin Good Throwin The Ball, Still Make SOme Mistakes But Will Do Fine Either Way Awill Be Fine @ QB..Mark Is More Pro-Style And Joe Is More Dual Threat

Old Tiger
04-25-2007, 12:46 AM
I asked a few people about this competition and they told me that it wasn't really a competition. Joe is the QB. This was people in Marks grade too.