PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate Cheerleading?

kepdawg
04-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Cheerleading one sport worth ditching

10:49 AM CDT on Monday, April 16, 2007

sparks@dallasnews.com

Can you imagine a high school without cheerleaders?

I can.

Cheerleading seems to produce a social toxin that poisons the brain of anyone it touches – the girls, their parents, teachers, administrators and the public.

Karen Ayres, an education writer for this newspaper, uncovered the latest example of cheerleader nonsense at Allen High School in Collin County.

Two cheerleader moms, D.J. Pool and Pam Burns, got crosswise with each other. Ms. Pool's daughter got kicked off the squad for being in the presence of alcohol. MySpace pictures of other cheerleaders who also appeared to be in the presence of alcohol got sent to school officials.

Three other girls, including Ms. Burns' daughter, got kicked off the squad, and the cheerleader booster club erupted into warring factions of parents. None of the girls actually admitted to drinking.

Lacey Rainey, the cheerleading coach, had watched similar controversies develop at nearby McKinney North High School and at Carroll Senior High School in Southlake.

In her story in Saturday's newspaper, Ms. Ayres reported that Coach Rainey threatened to disband the booster club and cancel the squad's end-of-year banquet if any parents took their grievances to the media, which is exactly what happened.

I shudder to think how many hours of time Allen ISD administrators and staff will waste on this foolishness.

Russell Crowe, actor and co-owner of an Australian rugby team, recently got rid of his prancing cheerleaders. They made women spectators uncomfortable and made fathers less likely to bring their young sons to games.

So, a male and female drum corps has replaced cheerleaders on the rugby sidelines. Now, Mr. Crowe is no longer an angry hooligan. Free of cheerleading, he's a happy guy again.

At this very moment, somewhere in Texas, probably in Allen, is a high school principal yearning to be free. And an athletic director enduring another speech about how cheerleading really is a sport and deserves respect.

I'm sorry. What sport requires the athlete to wear a smile pasted on her face? And exactly whom are the cheerleaders competing against at a football game? Is this an activity worth risking serious injury?

Look, most high school cheerleaders and their parents are terrific people. But let's face it. Time after time, these cheerleading programs run aground on the shoals of superficiality and pettiness.

School administrators maintain a double standard when defining what is disruptive to the learning environment. They ban students with unusual hairstyles, T-shirts with beer logos or marijuana leaves, bare midriffs and baggy pants.

Those things may be offensive to adults, but they aren't disruptive. Cheerleading is disruptive. Really, what would be lost if high schools dumped it as an extracurricular activity?

Young women who value physical activity and competition can pursue a variety of high school sports – basketball, volleyball, softball, soccer, golf, swimming, diving, tennis, and track and field.

Many people, especially Texans, will view the idea of high school without cheerleaders as a radical suggestion. I can hear them now.

Football players and their parents are no angels. Why don't we ban football? It doesn't have anything to do with academics, either.

Let me retort.

Football is the host organism that nurtures a school community. How many people would go see a marching band if its performance wasn't sandwiched into a football game? A clean, winning football program creates a positive image that encourages people to find out other good things about a school.

Football also generates revenue from ticket sales and concessions.

For those too faint of heart to consider getting rid of cheerleaders, how about a few reforms that might remove them from the pedestal of popularity?

•Use a panel of judges to select cheerleaders in closed tryouts. Don't allow the students to vote on them after tryouts at mass assemblies.

•Eliminate them from the sidelines at football games. The marching band remains the critical spirit machine at games.

•Get rid of the cheerleader booster club. If that won't fly, roll the cheerleader parents into the band booster club. They might be less likely to misbehave while lost in a sea of band parents.

•Call them something else. The word "cheerleader" has taken on too much baggage. Call them "Yell Leaders" or "Spirit Flyers."

And now it's time for another cheerleader booster club meeting. Somebody call security.

mustang59
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
The problem with this idea is simply the issue of fairness. To be FAIR not all cheerleaders are troublemakers. To be FAIR not all cheerleader parents are cut-throat backstabbers. To be FAIR there are plenty of kids in other activities (sports, band, choir, drama, etc.) that get into trouble and nobody is going to suggest those groups be disbanded.
My real concern is that it seems like all these stories somehow involve parents acting badly and vindictively. I have always been involved in the schools as a volunteer and I've seen plenty of it first hand.
Could we do without cheerleaders? Sure, but let's not pick on a single group of kids because of bad publicity. I DO think we need to have outside judges deciding who gets on the team. After all, the baseball or volleyball players don't have to try out in front of the school and be voted on by their fellow students.

bhtrainer
04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
i dont like them because they are always in the way at games making it hard for us to do our job if someone gets hurt or needs somethin we have to run around 234098435 yellin screamin girls...its annoyin

smustangs
04-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by bhtrainer
i dont like them because they are always in the way at games making it hard for us to do our job if someone gets hurt or needs somethin we have to run around 234098435 yellin screamin girls...its annoyin

ya but there so much fun to look at it so its ok. when i was playing they usually stayed out of our way

jason
04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
ya but there so much fun to look at it so its ok. when i was playing they usually stayed out of our way cause you were on the bench, they were hanging around the guys who were in the game.....

:D :D :D

smustangs
04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by jason
cause you were on the bench, they were hanging around the guys who were in the game.....

:D :D :D

haha funny you are i started every game my junior and senior year and was all district both years

jason
04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
haha funny you are i started every game my junior and senior year and was all district both years you goin out to LJT this wknd???

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
My real concern is that it seems like all these stories somehow involve parents acting badly and vindictively. I think that's a big part of the problem.....

smustangs
04-17-2007, 10:50 PM
you goin out to LJT this wknd???

not sure may be goin to my buddies deer lease to do some work and make some money r u?

jason
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
not sure may be goin to my buddies deer lease to do some work and make some money r u? ya, headed out there around 1 on thursday...headed back around 1 on sunday...

made a proctor run yesterday...

JasperDog94
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Honestly, when was the last time anyone was at a football game where the cheerleaders actually led people in a cheer?

smustangs
04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
ya, headed out there around 1 on thursday...headed back around 1 on sunday...

made a proctor run yesterday...

haha nice man its about tiem for us to amke a proctor run too gettin low on supplies

Haunta Yo
04-17-2007, 10:59 PM
... I DO think we need to have outside judges deciding who gets on the team. After all, the baseball or volleyball players don't have to try out in front of the school and be voted on by their fellow students.

If cheerleading's a sport then there should NOT be a panel of outside judges. The coach working with the cheerleaders should decide who makes the team and at what level.

gobblerfan02
04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
To be FAIR not all cheerleader parents are cut-throat backstabbers.
My real concern is that it seems like all these stories somehow involve parents acting badly and vindictively.

What town do you live in??? Just wondering, cuz some of the folks over here.....I've got a few stories I can tell, but won't!!!

burnet44
04-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I always thought CL was ok untill

we go over to Arp in the middle 80's
get done with warm ups
kids and I are going to the locker room
to put on pads for the game

I stop and talk to a buddie of mine coaching in Arp
I said "when did you guys get a drill team?"
Buddie says "we didnt"
"we picked 7 varsity and 7 jv's outta 28"
"some momma got a lawyer called the UIL"
"Supt said EVERYONE IS A CHEERLEADER"
"WE GOT 28 FREEKING CHEERLEADERS"
"we only got 22 on the varsity some kids have 2 CL's"
"everybody has their own CL"

right then I said cheerleaders need to be in the stands

kepdawg
04-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Colleyville Heritage brought 40 cheerleaders to a girl's basketball game a few years ago!

dogdad
04-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
If cheerleading's a sport then there should NOT be a panel of outside judges. The coach working with the cheerleaders should decide who makes the team and at what level.

that coach would be dead before sundown

3afan
04-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Cheerleading seems to produce a social toxin that poisons the brain of anyone it touches – the girls, their parents, teachers, administrators and the public.

that about sums it up in most places .......

Jason1725
04-18-2007, 07:25 AM
I can't tell you haw many times I have been shooting a game that I have to tell the cheerleader to stop yelling "hold em hold em" because the offense is on the field. They have no clue whats going on nor do they understand the game.

mustang59
04-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
What town do you live in??? Just wondering, cuz some of the folks over here.....I've got a few stories I can tell, but won't!!!
I'm in McKinney, but believe me this type of parental behavior happens everywhere and in every school group. On the other hand, there are so many parents in booster clubs who are doing great things to help their kids and provide support for them. You just seem to hear more about the bad apples than the good ones.

CHS_CG
04-18-2007, 08:25 AM
So yall are saying its fair to eliminate Cheerleading when a parent acts a fool?? Well then it should be ok for Caldwell not to have football bc parents acting fools and B!ching and moaning about their sons not gettin to play as much as so and so's son is, is what ran our damn football coach off and now look at our program.. its crap.. I cant even tell you how many games we have won since Cobia left. Its the same damn thing. Dont sit there and rag on cheerleading bc you guys think (not to mention media has made it out ) that cheerleaders are air head blondes that do nothing but show their asses off to the crowd durnin the game. Trust me I have friends that were cheerleaders in high school and there is more shady stuff goin on than you guys would even wanna think about. Yall might not think its a sport but there are just as much drama as any sport.