PDA

View Full Version : Female Sports (not football and lengthly and mainly to Bell-06)

Phil C
12-09-2003, 10:58 AM
I have only told this story of my life to Pirate4State. When I was a boy in junior high (and this was many many years ago) the high school junior and sophomore classes participated in an innerschool track meet (there were no girls' sports at all in my school then) and one of the young girls (who I considered old at the time lol) after finishing the race had to be carried off the track. One of the coaches watching it said to another coach "I still say a woman's place is in the home." We didnt' talk back then but I thought to myself "I wonder how they would do though if they had the same facilities and coaches that the boys have." I forgot the incident until many years later. I watched football and basketball and other sports but was not really into women's sports too much. But one day as I was walking along the track at the high school there was a girl's softball game and they were playing good. The track was right by the softball field. The first time around I just glanced at it as I walked around but the next time my attention and curiousity got the best of me and I stopped by the fence and watched. It was a great game won by our girls. I was hooked and since then I go to all the girls' sports that I can as a paying fan and not one by the fence. I watch all the girls' sports I can which includes basketball, softball (my favorite), and volleyball. I watch women's soccer on tv when I can as well as other women's sports. I also watch the boys football, basketball and baseball games too. But I support the girls as much as possible because they still don't have the support that the boys have even though it is getting better. The thing is those girls work hard too both at practice and keeping their grades up so if my little bit of support encourages them I will continue to do so. So it is actually a small price to pay such as when the girls are going to an out of town tournament early in the morning when I can't go to get up and hold up an encouraging sign for the girls as they go out of town and when they come back in because of the hard work they do. I do that mainly because the boys have most of the support. I have had several honors in my life but I was also rewarded at a pep rally this year for the boys football team and girls volleyball team though because our all state volleyball player gave a speach and pointed me out and said I was their No. 1 fan. I can't think of any better honor.

Bell_06
12-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Thank you for that posting Phil. For once in my life I'm almost speechless. Key word "almost" :)

There is a young man in our school that I predict will go very very far in life and he will do it with grace and inner peace. Not because he happened to be our star football player, or a star baseball player but because he stood up in front of his male peers and openly supported his female counterparts. One strong statement of support, verbal recognition of equality and this young man went from being just a player to a well respected person. I know he touched many of the softball players that day, and I believe he helped to show his guy friends that it's ok to compliment a female. All any athlete wants is a chance to succeed and for someone to notice based on merit not sex. I know my daughter saw in him a quailty of leadership and strength, simply based on the fact that he did not feel the need to put down someones efforts to enhance his own.

Continue the good words Phil, they are greatly appreciated.

Bigblue07
12-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Phil do you like any male sports. Because in all your posts ive seen your always talking about women's sport, not that theres anything wrong with womens sports but ................

Bell_06
12-09-2003, 08:27 PM
I thought he clearly stated that he watches both the male and female sports programs, but feels that he needs to aid in the promotion of the female sports since they are often overlooked.

Bigblue07
12-09-2003, 08:36 PM
yes but this is odviously aimed at female sports like all his other posts. there is nothing wrong with this, if he prefers to post female sport topics thats fine.

Bell_06
12-09-2003, 11:06 PM
:) someone has to

kaorder1999
12-09-2003, 11:11 PM
im tired of this crap....

Bigblue07
12-09-2003, 11:14 PM
i see your point bell !

and ka, what crap ?

kaorder1999
12-09-2003, 11:15 PM
people arguing over female sports this....male sports that...talk about whatever you want on here...if you dont want to read then dont read it...sorry if i sounded like i was mad at the opening post

kaorder1999
12-09-2003, 11:20 PM
nevermind...im an idiot...thought someone was complaining about the post about womens sports...i read wrong

Keith7
12-10-2003, 01:01 AM
when girls start playin on normal sized fields, can dunk, or play football naked.. i'll start watchin

until then they need to stay off the court and make me some dinner

Bell_06
12-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Keith... you might want to change your signature to "You're only as good as your last remark"

Ranger Mom
12-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Keith7:
when girls start playin on normal sized fields, can dunk, or play football naked.. i'll start watchin

until then they need to stay off the court and make me some dinnerKeith, Keith, Keith...you just don't get it!!

Oh yeah, one more thing...get your own freakin' dinner!!

onfirebball05mustang
12-10-2003, 09:43 AM
At our school, it seems, that only half of the girls sports are really recognized: Volleyball and Track, whereas the boys atheletics gets new stuff every year, and is supported by all, this could change somewhat, but in Manor, it's all about those who go to playoffs- Football, Volleyball, and Baseball.

Good job Phil!!

Old No. 7
12-10-2003, 09:53 AM
I love to watch girls softball. (basically because I love basesball) It's usually fast pace and very interesting. I tell my co workers " don't let that blond hair fool ya, those girls are atheletes." Just my 2 cents worth. :D

Bell_06
12-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Old No 7, Didn't Kribyville win state last year in 3A? If this is the same team I was thinking about do you think they can repeat?

Phil C
12-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Bell they did win state last year but Old or someone else will have to tell you if they can repeat again this year.

Old No. 7
12-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Bell_06:
Old No 7, Didn't Kribyville win state last year in 3A? If this is the same team I was thinking about do you think they can repeat?Yes, Kirbyville won state last year. The girls played well as a team last year. We have several returning starters so they should be very competitive. We always have a tuff time with Splendora in the playoffs, so no predictions on that at this time. :)

mistanice
12-10-2003, 02:33 PM
IF Holly graduated, might have to think twice about repeating, she wasn't the whole team, but she was alot.

Old Cardinal
12-10-2003, 02:43 PM
see next post

<small>[ December 10, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
12-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Kirbyville will not even be a good District competitor next season. Tankersley(one of the great Pitchers trained via the Beaumont Blast big program)graduated, she was the best girl athlete in Texas, in my opinion. I know even last year Bridge City 10-run ruled Kirbyville with a score of 12-1 when the catcher for Kirbyville was hurt and Holly T. had to catch(since they had not other player that had the skill to even catch Holly). Holly did however knock a home run! Kirbyville even last year was a very mediocre team, except-with an almost unbelievable "no hit capable Pitcher". Look for the top teams in 3A to be- Bridge City, Caldwell, Hamshire-Fannett, Lufkin Hudson, Sinton, Barbers Hill, Borger, LaFernia, Orangefield, Bellville, LaGrange-these are not in a "Poll" order....Of course I am prejudice but Bridge City has two super stars back: Jessica Lemoine, All State catcher has already signed with the LA-Lafayette College team. After her two great summer performances in the AFA 18&U Nationals, she was about the top college Catcher prospect in the USA. Meagan Godwin, All State pitcher, will be a Junior; she has been instrumental it pitching BC deep in the playoffs the last two years. Elena Clinton a solid experienced Select team(18 & U pitcher); and a host of skilled year round Select team players round out the BC team....H-F, Caldwell, and Lufkin Hudson start the year with extra strong programs in place and can beat anyone on a given afternoon....I think the time has come in 3A that dominate Pitchers like Tankersley and M. Collins from Splendora will not automatically win State for their teams-it will be the teams with the homerun capable Select team seasoned hitters that will ultimately prevail.

Bell_06
12-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Old Card... I know who Holly T is, and I'll agree she is an exceptional player but I'd have to wonder about any team who did not have but one person capable of catching a pitcher... I'm assuming that you are just talking about the physical act of catching not the finer points of being a real catcher.

More and more teams have a core of players who also play tournament ball and yes that should produce some big power hitters and more aggressive baserunning. Along with good pitching, this should turn into a year of coaching strategy. I am happy to see high school softball develop past the recreational game that it was at one time. Makes you wonder if teams like ours will opt for the best 2 out of 3 play-off series again.

Old Cardinal
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
To Mr. Bellville: On the game mentioned, Holly had to catch and NO there was not anyone but one girl that could catch Holly on the team! She was way above 60 mph on her drop, nuckle, slider, and screwball-riser. Her best curve broke from a fast ball to a torqueing curve quite close to the plate. I saw the game and that is the only reason Holly could not pitch that day! She also can mix a very unique circle pitch thats in her arsenal...I am not trying to be harsh, there is a chance that Hope Tankersley, Holly's little sister, will come on as a fair pitcher. On the Beaumont Blast Gold team(18 & U) Jessica Lemoine(BC Senior) was able to catch Holly very well in The select team effort that they played together. Of course, Robert Verde has one of the best Select teams in the nation; all girls get offered quality scholarships, for a free ride. Bridge City's All-state HS age Pitcher, Meagan Godwin,(a Junior this season) plays centerfield for that Select team most of the time....If someone would have told me Kirbyville would win state last season, after seeing BC dominate them completely that game, I would have laughed at them....You are right; however, Lufkin Hudson HS takes the pick of the Greater Lufkin Year round players on to their club---and Bridge City has most all their players either playing regularly or riding the bench for some of the better Select teams playing yearly in the National AFA Tournament at Beaumont. I will venture that every one of these girls graduating from BC and Lufkin Hudson HS will be able to go somewhere and play scholarship softball.

<small>[ December 11, 2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Bell_06
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Gender correction... that would be Ms Bellville :)
I've watched all the girls you mention play, with the exception of Hope T, is she a freshman this year? But whenever my daughter's team has played against the Blast, Godwin was the pitcher. Looks like she'll also be BC's #1 pitcher again this year. Isn't Holly T with the Ragin' Cajuns this year? We are pleased to see our very own #1 pitcher working with the Blast this fall season, really wish more of our girls had the time to commit with tournament teams.

I certainly hope that Kirbyville works another catcher into position, certainly not fair to the team, pitcher or even the starting catcher not to have a quality player ready to step in.

<small>[ December 12, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Bell_06 ]</small>

Old Cardinal
12-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Holly was playing for La-La, but when La-Laf. played the exibitions games at the Beaumont complex recently(along with Hill College, McNeese, and Praireview) she was not there for the weekend. I inquired and was told that she might be transferring to SFA. So the answer is, I am not sure of the status. Is your Pitcher the same as the Bellville pitcher of last season? Is she playing for Verde's team, Blast Gold, or for 18 & U Blast Red, Dotson's team? I was not aware of any Bellville girls on either team.
What is you take on LaGrange, Sealy and Bellville for softball this year? Is the Coach that left Bridge City(Casey Anderson), still at Sealy?....What Select team does your daughter play on?

<small>[ December 12, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>