PDA

View Full Version : Crawford suspended for actions toward Duncan

Maroon87
04-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - NBA referee Joey Crawford was suspended indefinitely by commissioner David Stern on Tuesday for his conduct toward Tim Duncan, who contends the ref challenged him to a fight.

Crawford ejected Duncan from a game in Dallas on Sunday, calling a second technical foul on the San Antonio Spurs star while he was on the bench.
"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?"' Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?"'

Crawford's suspension will last at least through the NBA finals.

BTEXDAD
04-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - NBA referee Joey Crawford was suspended indefinitely by commissioner David Stern on Tuesday for his conduct toward Tim Duncan, who contends the ref challenged him to a fight.

Crawford ejected Duncan from a game in Dallas on Sunday, calling a second technical foul on the San Antonio Spurs star while he was on the bench.
"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?"' Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?"'

my understanding is that Mark Cuban went to bat for the spurs and talked to his buddy, David Stern, and they came up with this suspension for Crawford. ;)

Seriously, the best umpires, refs, line judges, etc, are those that are barely noticed in game. Crawford seems to like being in spotlight. He should try something like maybe Dancing with the stars, or if he really wants to fight, the UFC.

SintonFan
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Associated Press

HOORAY FOR BEER!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
04-17-2007, 01:10 PM
:clap:

JR2004
04-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm sure Don Nelson is very happy to see him go. :)

buff4ever
04-17-2007, 01:20 PM
If this is true, I am very surprised. I think it has been coming for crawford for a long time, but I didn't think it would ever happen. I haven't messaged on this subject yet b/c I thought it was a waste of time. I saw the whole thing live, and thought it was a ridiculous situation. Crawford is too thin skinned to be a good official, and always has been.

He thinks he should be as noticed as much as the players, and the fact is, a lot of people can do what he does and even better. I agree that good officials go un-noticed.

I AM SURPRISED AND HAPPY BY THIS RULING.

Macarthur
04-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
If this is true, I am very surprised. I think it has been coming for crawford for a long time, but I didn't think it would ever happen. I haven't messaged on this subject yet b/c I thought it was a waste of time. I saw the whole thing live, and thought it was a ridiculous situation. Crawford is too thin skinned to be a good official, and always has been.

He thinks he should be as noticed as much as the players, and the fact is, a lot of people can do what he does and even better. I agree that good officials go un-noticed.

I AM SURPRISED AND HAPPY BY THIS RULING.

I agree with you except on the "anyone could do that" point.

An NBA official may very well be the most difficult officiating job in all of sports.

But Crawford is still a jackass!;)

Bulldog_12
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
According to OTL on ESPN, Stern just said Crawford does not want to work for the NBA anymore.

buff4ever
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
okay, good point, but more people could officiate the NBA than could play in it. How about that?

Macarthur
04-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
According to OTL on ESPN, Stern just said Crawford does not want to work for the NBA anymore.

Fine. There's several more than need to be run off.

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Called it!

Darren
04-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Yep you could see this one coming... Even fans of the Mavs could see that this was a poor call. He got what he deserved.

Personally I wish the punishment would have been forcing him to fight Duncan. Now that would have been fun to watch.

:) :) :) :) :)

Bulldog_12
04-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Update, Duncan was fined 25,000 today by the league for verbal abuse of an official.

story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2840587)

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Update, Duncan was fined 25,000 today by the league for verbal abuse of an official.

story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2840587) What'd 25 g's to him though so it's cool.

Phil C
04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
What'd 25 g's to him though so it's cool.

Quick! Call Al Sharpton!

Macarthur
04-17-2007, 03:49 PM

story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2840587)

You know, I certainly don't think Duncan should have gotten off with no punishment, but memory tells me that I've seen much worse antics by players than laughing at a call.

Maroon87
04-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
You know, I certainly don't think Duncan should have gotten off with no punishment, but memory tells me that I've seen much worse antics by players than laughing at a call.

The fine is probably for his comments to the media after the game and calling Crawford a piece of (crap) after he got tossed.:thinking:

Darren
04-17-2007, 03:56 PM
The fine is probably for his comments to the media after the game and calling Crawford a piece of (crap) after he got tossed.:thinking:

I think that you are right.. But I'm sure Duncan will take the fine if he is assured that he will not have to deal with him in the playoffs. Thats the only good think that came out of this.

Gobbla2001
04-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Justice...

As Mr. Jerry Reed's character said in Water Boy "You see this ring?... nobody messes with the champ"

Adios, Loser!!!

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Timmy D could drop that in a strip club in Vegas.

Darren
04-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Justice...

As Mr. Jerry Reed's character said in Water Boy "You see this ring?... nobody messes with the champ"

Adios, Loser!!!

Thats funny.....:clap:

big daddy russ
04-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Duncan's making $17,429,673 this year. That's 0.143% of his salary.

The average American makes $36,764 (as of 2002). That would be the same as $52 for the average American.

Though I think it was a bad call, I'm not taking sides in this argument. However, would you pay $52 if you knew that it would get rid of your @$$ of a boss.

BILLYFRED0000
04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I think Crawford should be reprimanded. But suspension for the rest of the season is a bit much. They let players brawl and use drugs and they get much less in the way of fines and susensions.
Based on Crawfords record, I would fine him and give him a 2 game suspension. I think he would get the message.

It ain't personal baby, it's just basketball.

Darren
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I think Crawford should be reprimanded. But suspension for the rest of the season is a bit much. They let players brawl and use drugs and they get much less in the way of fines and susensions.
Based on Crawfords record, I would fine him and give him a 2 game suspension. I think he would get the message.

Going to have to disagree with you on this one. Based on his record I think that he got what he deserved.

BILLYFRED0000
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Going to have to disagree with you on this one. Based on his record I think that he got what he deserved.

Yes but if that was the case, why not do something sooner. This is the case of closing the barn door after the horse got out. They should have given him the benefit of the doubt since no previous punishment had been considered. Stern just screwed the pooch and is taking it out on Crawford now. Especially since it was his idea to implement this 0 tolerance policy on techs in the first place.

Macarthur
04-17-2007, 05:04 PM

You just answered your own question. The players get away with these things because they are the players. No one pays $70 a ticket to go see refs.

BILLYFRED0000
04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
You just answered your own question. The players get away with these things because they are the players. No one pays $70 a ticket to go see refs.

No, I pay to see basketball, not basketbrawl......

JasperDog94
04-17-2007, 06:10 PM

It ain't personal baby, it's just basketball. Agreed. I think the suspension is too long.

I've seen worse calls get no response from Stern.

If this wasn't Timmy or another big star, this would be a non issue.

JR2004
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Agreed. I think the suspension is too long.

I've seen worse calls get no response from Stern.

If this wasn't Timmy or another big star, this would be a non issue.

He's an official. It's not enough. Give him the Pete Rose treatment just for the heck of it for being an official.

JasperDog94
04-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
He's an official. It's not enough. Give him the Pete Rose treatment just for the heck of it for being an official. Booooooooo :mad:

luvhoops34
04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Tiger called this one guys! :D

Joey Crawford is a jerk for a ref and he got what was coming to him. Timmy got the last laugh on Crawford.

:D :D :D :D

bandera7
04-17-2007, 09:50 PM
it wasnt the call that got him the rest of the season, it was the wanting to fight a player, especially after his past. Why the heck would you challenge a player to a fight, especially one that could kill you in a second. He is a professional athlete, and he didnt get there by not working out and being a pansy. All of the athletes are strong, I dont know how smart that was, and I too think it would have been funny to see him fight Duncan. His face would be broken with one punch.

And if what I hear about Cuban is true, then I have a little bit more respect for him than before, because I didnt like him after some of the comments made about the Spurs before, but he might be walking back to the good side.

Gobbla2001
04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
I've always liked Cuban, no matter what he's said about the Spurs... I just hate him in seven-game series because it comes with the territory...

Emerson1
04-22-2007, 02:25 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7138/joeycrawfordmn0.gif

JR2004
04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
All of the athletes are strong,

I think Uncle Fester could take out Nesterovic from the Raptors in a no holds barred steel cage match!