PDA

View Full Version : School Lockdown in Austin

piratebg
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
I just saw the headline on Fox News. Anyone have any info?

injuredinmelee
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
St. Edwards Uni. BombThreat

Emerson1
04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Probably gonna be alot of these pop up in the next week.

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Gas prices will probably near 3 dollars now with recent events as it always seems when something of this nature happens.

Gobbla2001
Originally posted by Emerson1
Probably gonna be alot of these pop up in the next week.

yah, and it's just sick... plain sick...

CHS_CG
www.kvue.com isnt reperoting anything, nor is CNN.com or the CBS station up here

BuffyMars
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Gas prices will probably near 3 dollars now with recent events as it always seems when something of this nature happens.

They would be that high anyway with summer nearing.

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
They would be that high anyway with summer nearing. So could we see $3.25?

BuffyMars
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
So could we see $3.25?

If not more.

Old Tiger
If not more. Those things really grind my gears!

BuffyMars
I don't think it will reach $4.00, but it will definitely reach $3.

BuffyMars
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Those things really grind my gears!

I am about to move to Dallas before summer! Can you imagine the gas I will be using?!?!?! In town no less! :doh:

44INAROW
04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
www.kvue.com isnt reperoting anything, nor is CNN.com or the CBS station up here
KVUE Video on Demand Video Viewer/Top Picks Video Vault

Threatening note prompts closure of St. Edward's

10:33 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Associated Press

piratebg
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
St. Edwards Uni. BombThreat

Finally caught part of the story. The entire campus has been evacuated while bomb squads attempt to find a bomb.

Old Tiger
I am about to move to Dallas before summer! Can you imagine the gas I will be using?!?!?! In town no less! :doh: Yea what kind of ride you be swangin in?

CHS_CG
04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Threatening note prompts closure of St. Edward's

10:33 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Associated Press

Authorities evacuated the buildings on the Saint Edward's University campus in Austin Tuesday morning after a threatening note was found in a restroom.

Saint Edward's spokeswoman Mischelle Amador says Austin police are on campus searching the buildings. She says she doesn't have more information about the contents of the note.

She says Saint Edward's students and staff who already were on campus were asked to gather around the soccer field, away from the buildings. Everyone else was asked to stay off campus until noon.

About 5,200 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at the Catholic university south of downtown Austin.

The bomb threat there comes a day after a Virginia Tech student killed 32 people and himself in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

piratebg
04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
My grandmother works at St Eds. I better give her a call. :doh:

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
My grandmother works at St Eds. I better give her a call. :doh: Yea...keep us up to date on the situation if you will. thanks

BuffyMars
04-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Yea what kind of ride you be swangin in?

A truck! :eek:

piratebg
04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
My grandmother works at St Eds. I better give her a call. :doh:

All is good with her. She didn't have any info for me aside from what we already know, but she is okay.

smustangs
04-17-2007, 11:12 AM
it was just announced on cnn that the campus is locked down

CHS_Grad '85
04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Apr 17, 2:21 PM EDT

Threats Rattle 3 Universities, 2 Schools

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Campus threats forced lock-downs and evacuations at universities in Texas, Oklahoma and Tennessee and two public schools in Louisiana on Tuesday, a day after a Virginia Tech student's shooting rampage killed 33 people.

In Louisiana, parents picked up hundreds of students from Bogalusa's high school and middle school amid reports that a man had been arrested Tuesday morning for threatening a mass killing in a note that alluded to the murders at Virginia Tech.

Schools Superintendent Jerry Payne said both schools were locked down and police arrested a 53-year-old man who allegedly made the threat in a note he gave to a student headed to the private Bowling Green School in Franklinton. Both towns are in southeastern Louisiana.

"The note referred to what happened at Virginia Tech," Payne said. "It said something like, 'If you think that was bad, then you haven't seen anything yet."

In Austin, authorities evacuated buildings at St. Edward's University after a threatening note was found, a school official said.

Police secured the campus perimeter and were searching the buildings, St. Edward's University spokeswoman Mischelle Amador said. She declined to say where the note was found and said its contents were "nonspecific."

The two other scares were determined to be unfounded.

At the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, officials ordered three campus administration buildings evacuated for almost two hours Tuesday morning in response to a telephone bomb threat. The city's bomb squad searched the buildings but found nothing, campus spokesman Chuck Cantrell said.

Cantrell said there was no reason to believe the bogus threat was related to the shootings at Virginia Tech, but "we just chose to err on the side of caution today."

The other, at the University of Oklahoma, had started with a report of a man spotted on campus carrying a suspicious object, officials said.

The man was carrying an umbrella, not a weapon, and he later identified himself to authorities, University of Oklahoma President David Boren said in a statement. Boren initially had said the person was believed to carrying a yoga mat.

"We now consider the matter closed," Boren said. "We always want to err on the side of caution in a situation like this."

At St. Edward's in Austin, students who live on campus were being allowed to return to their dormitories as police finished searching each building, Amador said. Faculty, staff and all other students were asked to stay away from the campus, and morning and afternoon classes were canceled. About 5,200 students are enrolled at the Catholic university south of downtown Austin.

Amador said the university's reaction was not influenced by Monday's attack at Virginia Tech.

"No matter what day or when this would have happened, we will always take the necessary precautions to protect our students, our faculty, our staff, the entire university community," she said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.