PDA

View Full Version : A&m Cc

Buccaneer
04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
South Alabama has received permission to talk to Texas A&M-Corpus
Christi head basketball coach Ronnie Arrow about its coaching vacancy.

g$$
04-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer

Funny thing is, Ronnie Arrow was fired from South Alabama 12 years ago. He took them to the NCAA tourney too.

tortilla_man
04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
South Alabama is also supose to be talking to Bob Marlin from SHSU

Boosty_Hondo
04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
he will not go to south alabama he likes it to much here ... dont expect to see him leave

Buccaneer
04-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
he will not go to south alabama he likes it to much here ... dont expect to see him leave

we will see if money talks

Buccaneer
04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I say he goes!

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2007, 01:04 AM
i hope he doesnt leave... i thought he would be one to take over A&M after BCG left but yeah.... i was wrong

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer

And just like that, he's gone tomorrow....

Arrow reportedly hired to coach South Alabama
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

South Alabama will name Texas A&M-Corpus Christi coach Ronnie Arrow as its next men's basketball coach at a Tuesday news conference, a source close to the search committee told ESPN.com on Monday night.

Arrow replaces John Pelphrey, who was hired at Arkansas.

Arrow led TAMUCC to the NCAA Tournament and a near-miss in the first round against No. 2 seed Wisconsin. Arrow started the Islanders' program from scratch and watched it develop from a D-1 startup to winning the Southland Conference.

South Alabama has been one of the top programs in the Sun Belt, and athletic director Joe Gottfried was looking for a coach who could continue the tradition of keeping USA in the heart of the title chase ever year.

Ironically, Arrow was once the coach at South Alabama, fired by a previous administration.

Arrow went to the NCAA Tournament with USA in 1989 and '91. South Alabama beat Alabama in the first round of the 1989 NCAAs, losing to eventual champion Michigan in the second round. Arrow was the 1989 Sun Belt coach of the year.

TAMUCC finished 26-7, 14-2 in the Southland. South Alabama finished 20-12 overall, 13-5 in the Sun Belt.

Arrow got the job after Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz turned down an offer on Sunday.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

ESPN Conversation

Be the first to comment on "Arrow reportedly hired to coach South Alabama"

htowntransplant
04-17-2007, 01:19 AM
i hope arrow leaving wont be the equivalent of jody kest leaving the womens team. i think now that at least we are on the national radar, i think we can snab a decent coach from somewhere. it probably wont be the same with the womens team because when kest left the womens squad, we were still D-I independents.

Buccaneer
04-17-2007, 05:53 AM
One of his assisstants will get the job.

maestro
04-17-2007, 07:07 AM
and yet the chronicle is reporting that marlin at shsu is going to be interviewed today for the south alabama job.

Boosty_Hondo
04-18-2007, 12:23 AM
yup its official arrow is leaving ... what a sad sight but from what ive heard its for the best ... not going to say anymore