PDA

View Full Version : Madden 2008 Cover

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2007/0403/cover_inline_240.gifhttp://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/09-06/0906vince.jpg

Please prey that it's not everyone!

JR2004
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2007/0403/cover_inline_240.gifhttp://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/09-06/0906vince.jpg

Please prey that it's not everyone!

Well I'll hope that Vince turns out better than many of the others who got the cover. Even though there's been a bunch of bad things happen to guys on the Madden cover, it's still highly coveted by the players themselves to get on it.

piratebg
04-16-2007, 01:51 PM
The Madden Curse!!!:devil:

Adidas410s
04-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Garrison Hearst (1999)
Garrison Hearst was the first player to ever be featured on a Madden cover, appearing on Madden NFL '99. Hearst's 1998 season was the best of his career, rushing for 1570 yards and seven touchdowns. He led the San Francisco 49ers to the playoffs, but on the first play of the game versus the Atlanta Falcons, he suffered a bad ankle break. He would not play again until the 2001 season.

(It is worth noting that there are two versions of the Madden NFL '99 cover, one with Hearst and one with John Madden.)

Barry Sanders and Dorsey Levens (2000)
Barry Sanders shared the cover with the then-customary picture of John Madden on Madden NFL 2000. However, a week before training camp began in 1999, Sanders abruptly retired - ending his career and leaving the Detroit Lions without their star running back of the previous 10 years. Sanders' part in the curse is debated because he is not pictured alone on the box, and he had willingly retired. Dorsey Levens was featured on the 2000 cover that was released in PAL regions. After rushing for 1,034 yards in 1999, he gained only 224 yards from scrimmage in 2000. Ultimately, Levens was cut by the Green Bay Packers in 2001, and retired, as a Packer, in 2004, after playing as a journeyman who had 1-season stints with both the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants.

Eddie George (2001)
Eddie George, then of the Tennessee Titans, who graced the Madden NFL 2001 box, is often said to be the next 'cursed' player, even though in the year he was on the cover, he had career highs in yardage and touchdowns. Curse advocates point to the 2001 season following his appearance on the cover, during which he averaged only 3 yards per carry and rushed for career lows of 939 yards and 5 touchdowns. For the rest of his career, he never averaged more than 3.4 yards per carry, but did rush for over 1,000 yards twice and scored 14 touchdowns in 2002.

(It is worth noting that curse advocates ignore the season following the appearance on the cover for some of the other listed players, notably Vick who had career bests in a number of categories in 2004 after being on the Madden 2004 cover).

Daunte Culpepper (2002)
Former Minnesota Vikings star quarterback Daunte Culpepper appeared on the Madden NFL 2002 cover, and the Vikings struggled to a 4-7 record until Culpepper was shelved with a season-ending knee injury.

Marshall Faulk (2003)
Running back Marshall Faulk of the St. Louis Rams, who was on the Madden NFL 2003 box, suffered an ankle injury, missing five games. He never broke through the 1,000 yards rushing mark for the rest of his career.

Michael Vick (2004)
Very shortly after Madden 2004 was released featuring Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick on the cover, Vick was injured during a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens, suffering a fractured right fibula. Vick played in only the last 5 regular season games, finishing with just 585 yards passing and 4 touchdowns. The Atlanta Falcons missed the playoffs and were already out of contention by the time Vick returned from his injury. The "curse" forced the Falcons to finish the season with a record of 5 wins and 11 losses, a stark contrast to the team's 9-6-1 record the season prior.

Ray Lewis (2005)
Madden 2005 featured Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens, the first defensive player ever to appear on the cover of a Madden game. He broke his wrist, an injury that kept him out of the last game of the regular season. It was also Lewis' first season without a single interception, after posting a career-high 6 the previous year - although admittedly, interceptions are a secondary statistic for linebackers. The Baltimore Ravens also failed to make the playoffs that season (2004), after winning their division the year before. Furthermore, in Week 6 of the 2005 season, Ray Lewis' season was ended by an injury.

Donovan McNabb (2006)
After leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl in 2004, the Philadelphia Eagles' star quarterback Donovan McNabb was on the cover of Madden NFL 06. During the 2005 season, McNabb suffered a sports hernia in the first game of the season against the Atlanta Falcons. Even though it needed surgery McNabb continued to play through the injury.[1] In the tenth game of the season, McNabb re-injured his groin when he threw an interception that was returned by Roy Williams against the Dallas Cowboys, and subsequently decided to have season-ending surgery for his sports hernia. [2] [3] Throughout the 2005 season, McNabb had had a highly-publicized feud with his teammate, wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Shaun Alexander (2007)
Prior to the 2006 season, Alexander had never missed a full game in his entire seven-season NFL career. In the 2006 season, however, Madden NFL 07 cover-athlete and reigning NFL MVP Shaun Alexander of the Seattle Seahawks suffered a fracture in his 4th metatarsal in his left foot which he received during the first game of the season against the Detroit Lions. Alexander attempted to play through the injury, but was relatively ineffective. After the Seahawks third game, it was announced that his injury was worse than originally thought, and Alexander missed the next six games.[4] Alexander rushed for 896 yards (3.6 yards per carry) in the 2006 season, as opposed to 1,880 yards (5.1 yards per carry) in the 2005 season. In addition, Alexander's record of most touchdowns per season lasted only one year, as his 2005 record was broken by LaDainian Tomlinson in 2006.

injuredinmelee
04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Bull19
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
VINCE YOUNG WONT BE ON THE COVER

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
VINCE YOUNG WONT BE ON THE COVER And why not and who will be?

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2007, 05:24 PM
And why not and who will be?

peyton manning, drew brees, ladaian tomlinson

Bull19
04-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WORKS FOR EA SPORTS INC. AND SHE SAID T.O. WILL BE ON IT

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
peyton manning, drew brees, ladaian tomlinson I don't know there are striking similarities to the pictures provided.

DU_stud04

Please prey that it's not everyone! too bad that picture doesnt match up....and its hard to tell cause i believe most qbs look like that before they throw the ball. id like to see vince on the cover then break the "curse"

Emerson1
You also are the least annoying person ever on this site.

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
how bout Tony Romo

Emerson1
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
If that is the actual outline, it looks like it will be Drew Brees, to short to be payton

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
i wish it was Tom Brady and the curse was placed upon him...Tom Brady, I always bet against him, cost me too much money, hopefully Madden can get some revenge for me

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If that is the actual outline, it looks like it will be Drew Brees, to short to be payton I dont know this motion looks different

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/11/14/brees.jpg

crzyjournalist03
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
How does anybody know if that outline is accurate? Does anybody have pictures of what previous outlines looked like before the player was announced?

Either way, we'll all know tomorrow night.

Emerson1
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
I dont know this motion looks different

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/11/14/brees.jpg From another angle it would look different though, and there is more than one picture for them to choose from.

Bull19
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If that is the actual outline, it looks like it will be Drew Brees, to short to be payton

YES I WAS MAKING A JOKE,, BUT YOUR RETARTED IF YOU ACTUALLY THINK YOU CAN TELL WHO IT WILL BE BY THINKING THAT THAT OUTLINE IS TOO SHORT TO BE PAYTON:rolleyes: ,,BY THAT OUTLINE IT COULD BE ANY QB IN THE LEAGUE

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
its Rex Grossman, hahaha:D

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
The suspense is killing me!:eek:

DU_stud04
04-16-2007, 05:34 PM
its Rex Grossman, hahaha:D sure? i really thought it was bledsoe:(

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
i wish it was Tom Brady and the curse was placed upon him...Tom Brady, I always bet against him, cost me too much money, hopefully Madden can get some revenge for me HEY NOW!!!!!! Don't be talking about Tom that way! :p

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
HEY NOW!!!!!! Don't be talking about Tom that way! :p
Tom Brady is the only player I have ever wished ill upon during a game

coach
04-16-2007, 05:40 PM
i just hope it's not tony romo

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by coach
i just hope it's not tony romo Maybe God knew it was going to Tony Romo and already cursed him last season with the botch hold.

TheDOCTORdre
04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Maybe God knew it was going to Tony Romo and already cursed him last season with the botch hold.

yup because we know that God really cares about the madden curse

DU_stud04
04-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Tony Romo botch hold. http://www.texansrock.com/files/images/homo_0.jpg

crzyjournalist03
04-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Tom Brady is the only player I have ever wished ill upon during a game

Why the hate for him? I own a Brady jersey! I think he's a great QB!

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
http://www.texansrock.com/files/images/homo_0.jpg lol...where the crap do you get this stuff?

TheDOCTORdre
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Why the hate for him? I own a Brady jersey! I think he's a great QB!

did you not read the post where I said Brady costs me money

DU_stud04
lol...where the crap do you get this stuff? internet....:D

crzyjournalist03
04-16-2007, 05:51 PM
did you not read the post where I said Brady costs me money

sounds like it's your fault for betting against the guy...you can't hate him for being good...you should hate yourself for not realizing it and putting money against him again and again.

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Tom Brady is the only player I have ever wished ill upon during a game But he's HOTT! :kiss: :inlove: :kiss: :inlove:

Old Tiger
04-16-2007, 06:04 PM
But he's HOTT! :kiss: :inlove: :kiss: :inlove: People say I look like him.

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2007, 08:14 PM
People say I look like him.
http://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gifhttp://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gifhttp://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gif That's the funniest thing you've said in a while. ;)

DU_stud04
04-16-2007, 10:25 PM
http://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gifhttp://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gifhttp://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gif That's the funniest thing you've said in a while. ;) DEBO'D hahahaha

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Titans' Young on Madden '08 cover

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

Titans quarterback Vince Young, according to his agent, has been told he’ll appear on the cover of Madden ‘08, the popular football video game that features one NFL star each year.

Whether it’s a coincidence or a curse, however, recent players have been injured the year they appeared on the cover.

“We don’t believe in no jinx,’’ Young's agent agent Major Adams said. “People said when they put Vince on the cover of Sports Illustrated it was going to jinx him in the Rose Bowl game, and (Texas) won the national championship."

Officials from EA Sports wouldn’t confirm Young is this year’s choice for the cover, which will officially be announced on Jimmy Kimmel Live, which airs on ABC Tuesday night at 11 p.m.

“Being on the cover of Madden is such a big honor nowadays, no one ever turns us down because of (the so-called curse), that’s for sure,’’ said Chris Erb, director of marketing for EA Sports.

Read Tuesday's Tennessean for more details on Young's forthcoming Madden '08 cover appearance.

Link (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070416/SPORTS01/70416089)

Keith7
04-17-2007, 01:57 AM
If this is true, (which it seems that it is) then Madden sure is reaching when it comes to who is on the cover.. Young had a poor season last year, and might be one of the most over hyped QBs in the league right now.. Drew Brees, Ladanian Tomlinson or Peyton Manning would be better fits

Old Tiger
04-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
If this is true, (which it seems that it is) then Madden sure is reaching when it comes to who is on the cover.. Young had a poor season last year, and might be one of the most over hyped QBs in the league right now.. Drew Brees, Ladanian Tomlinson or Peyton Manning would be better fits Knowing the type of players they are they probably denied. They are probably looking for someone youg and exciting. You never know with these things. Like Boise States QB being on the cover of NCAA instead of AD or CJ

RMAC
04-17-2007, 02:11 AM
I don't know there are striking similarities to the pictures provided.

Not if you look at the lower left side of his jersey. That could be any number of QB's. How many pictures do you think there are of a QB rolling out in that same pose? Really, now you're just lying to yourself.

Hansum Stranger
04-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Young had a poor season last year,

Just think, he had a poor season and still won rookie of the year. What will he do once he get's some more experience under his belt? Your hatred for anything except Philly is very obvious.

Bulldog_12
04-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Good call! :thumbsup:

Phil C
04-17-2007, 07:55 PM
That is Vince Young on the cover. He is the only one who can and will break the curse. Go get them Vince!

Adidas410s
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That is Vince Young on the cover. He is the only one who can and will break the curse. Go get them Vince!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by Phil C
Poor Vince Young is going to be the next person to fall victim to the Madden curse. This will ultimately cost him a chance to win 3 Super Bowls in 10 years. Sad times indeed!!! :(

bandera7
04-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I love VY, he is on my keeper fantasy team, but he doesnt quite deserve this. Peyton or LT or Drew Brees all deserved it, and LT has prob got the best chance to break the curse, considering he is one of the most consistently good players in the history of the NFL. Dont get me wrong, VY will probably deserve it in years to come, but not now.

Diocletian
04-17-2007, 11:47 PM
you know this thread reminds me of VY's career.....everyone telling him what he isn't good enough for, what he shouldn't be able to do, what he can't possibly be in contention with........

LMAO shame on you Texans-----Vince all the way to the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, then my Wheaties Bowl

mustang04
04-18-2007, 12:17 AM
If this is true, (which it seems that it is) then Madden sure is reaching when it comes to who is on the cover.. Young had a poor season last year, and might be one of the most over hyped QBs in the league right now.. Drew Brees, Ladanian Tomlinson or Peyton Manning would be better fits

had a poor season??????? wow, he was a rookie and look what he did in tight situations.....you are obviously a hater.....if he would have started from day one last year....by playoff time Vince and the Titans would have been a pretty dang good team to compete against

DDBooger
04-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
had a poor season??????? wow, he was a rookie and look what he did in tight situations.....you are obviously a hater.....if he would have started from day one last year....by playoff time Vince and the Titans would have been a pretty dang good team to compete against agreed mustang, comparing a rookie to seasoned vets is laughable. terrible season. the boy just about single handedly put the titans in the playoffs. while he was able to lead the longhorns to a national championship. leading a mediocre team to 8 wins your rookie season is great! how would some of yall compare his effort to rothlisberger(sp) effort with a superb team a few years ago his rookie season

mustang04
04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
how would some of yall compare his effort to rothlisberger(sp) effort with a superb team a few years ago his rookie season
10-4!!! not taking anything away from ben...but what if you put vince on a team with a great defense and a great offense surrounding the QB.....vince would have done that much better.....all i gotta say is when he got into the open field, he made alot of "seasoned veterans" look silly

Emerson1
04-18-2007, 05:48 PM
http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/781/781574/vince-young-interview-20070418011621368-000.jpg